OT or not OT? A Short Story About Compassion

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Marta608, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I read this story somewhere recently - apologies to those of you who also read it and remember it more exactly than this - but I thought of us, here and in the world in general.

A woman was late for a work appointment. She had only minutes to spare. As she got in her car she selected her route as the most efficient and was doing well when she came to a stop light. She was second at the light behind another car. The light turned green.................and nothing. The car ahead of her just sat there.

After a few seconds, the impatient woman blew her horn and others behind her were blowing theirs. Not only did the first car not move but the woman driver got out and began fiddling with something in the backseat!

Many people including the woman who was running late impatiently raced their cars around the stopped car, shaking heads, some blowing horns, raising fingers.

The local newspaper had a story in it later that week that a woman was at a stoplight when her baby in the backseat began choking. She, of course, immediately got out of the car and went to the backseat where she was able to save her child's life.

The incident became known as BIBS (baby in the backseat). After that, whenever people were tempted to become impatient or critical of another driver, they remembered BIBS.

When I read this little article I thought of people in general and how we never know what someone else is dealing with beneath a perfectly normal appearance. Just look at us most days! It seemed to me that it would be good to remember so I'm sharing it here with those who might not have read it.

Marta
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

a good one to remember for everyone, really...

3. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Marta:

Good story...and so true!!

nyrofan
  4. Marta608

Marta608 Member

You're right, it's a good story to remember and no, we never do know what's happening in someone else's life. Best to approach with an open heart.

Marta
  5. libra55

libra55 New Member

what someone else is dealing with. What a true statement.

I believe I have posted this story before, but it is worth repeating. Years ago in my young and single days, I worked for a large corporation. It was run with military precision. Absences and lateness were not tolerated, as was leaving for any reason during the day.

One morning I got an emergency phone call at my desk. Hurriedly I grabbed my purse and coat and proceeded to leave the building. As I passed a coworker, he said smugly, "Well, it must be nice to have flexible hours."

I did not stop to respond. The phone call I had just recieved was from the local hospital, to tell me that my father who was very ill with cancer had lapsed into a coma and was dying. He passed away shortly after I got there.

Just like the BIBS incident, I always remember how hurt I was at the coworker's sarcastic remark to me, and I always try to be a little more patient with people because of it.

Thanks Marta for sharing this.

Michelle