OT - Pap test question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pepper, Oct 31, 2005.

1. pepper

pepper New Member

Is it okay to take a bath right before a pap test? I heard that if you take a bath within 24 hr of your pap test, that crucial cells might be washed away. Does anyone know if that is possible?

Thanks.
    Pepper
  2. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

I always take a shower in the morning before hand and have my test around lunch time, but I have been told that it is possible to get an abnormal reading because of taking a bath immediately before hand.

3. pepper

pepper New Member

I guess a shower will have to do before my appointment. And handmade soaps for that area. I must say, I haven't heard that one before, Kate. :)

Thank you both for your input.
    Pepper
  4. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

They actually rough up and scrape the cells off the cervix so it shouldn't matter. Bath water isn't supposed to get up inside (according to what OBs have told my clients) but I'm not sure I believe that.

Jan
  5. pepper

pepper New Member

Thank you, Jan.

Pepper
  6. albrn

albrn New Member

It is perfectly OK to bathe or shower before a pap. What you do NOT want to do is douche. Normal bathing will not alter anything. I was told this by my doctor; they always warn you not to douche when you make the appointment.~ Lynn
  7. I thought a bath was a no no . A shower is okay.
  8. FibroJo

FibroJo New Member

I have never heard you could not bath or shower. Just, as albrn stated, you should not douche or have sex for 48 hours prior to your pap.
  9. pepper

pepper New Member

for your input.

Pepper
  10. JLH

JLH New Member

To find out the "final answer", I would call your GYN's office and ask!!

[ advertisement ]