OT: "Pay It Forward"

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I just watched this movie and it was soooo good but so sad. We've talked here often about trying to make a difference in the world and how hard it can be when are so sick, tired, and in pain.

I think that if we even give someone a smile on the street or in the store, it ripples in the Universe and possibly displaces some of the negativity with something positive.

We do have to live with the hand dealt to us but I think we determine our lives to a greater degree than we think possible. I agree with the theory that it's not the hand so much as how we play it.

This movie talks about doing big things which make a difference, things which are very difficult for us to do. Of course, I believe that is wonderful but I don't think the things we do to help others have to necessarily be big things. Research has shown that we usually cope pretty well with the big things in our lives. It's the little day-to-day problems which get to us. Sometimes, all it takes is a stranger's smile to give us a boost to get through another day.

Glad I caught the movie. BTW, I found a beautiful website with the song, "Calling All Angels," from the movie. It isn't a commercial website. It is beautiful. http://www.andiesisle.com/Calling_All_Angels.html

Love, Mikie
    [This Message was Edited on 06/25/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 06/25/2006]
  2. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I loved the message and generally liked the movie, but I felt like the ending was just unnecessarily painful.

Maybe it's because I saw it with my kids, and saw how they reacted, but that ending really turned me off. I'm not sure I would have let them see it if I had known the ending. Overprotective? Probably.

The message, however, is outstanding. I do believe we each "pay it forward" in small ways every day just by living and interacting with other human beings.

I know that posts that I have read on this board have made me think about life in a different way.

It's the "It's a Wonderful Life" theory. Everyone's life touches other's lives in ways we never imagined.

We all have great power to do good or harm. I try for "good" as much as I can! Unfortunately, the "harm" creeps in occasionally, and I guess that can't be helped. That's life. Apologize, learn and move on.

Did you see the same actor (Haley Joel Osment) in Secondhand Lions? Another good movie about people influencing and enhancing the lives of others.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I agree with you about the ending being too sad, especially for little kids. "Secondhand Lions" is great. I bought it and have watched it several times.

Sometimes, it pays to watch TV instead of what I should be doing :)

Love, Mikie
  4. sisland

sisland New Member

I agree with your views 100%!!! Example~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~I was at the local pharmacy the other day to pick up meds that i needed. there was a woman in front of me throwing a fit to the pharmasist who was being very calm and trying to help her!.....................................................It seems that the D.R. had ordered a new med that hadn't worked for her and she was taking it out on the Phar. I know eves dropping!!.............................................after 15 minutes of Complaining the ph. ask her to step aside so she could help other customers who were waiting! anyway!!! that made her madder but she did step aside!!

Long story short (i know i couldn't do their jobs so i try to be nice to them)!! they always are polite to me so i'am to them also!!...............................................You reap what you sew! saw both movies Good lessons! sisland
  5. kjfms

kjfms Member

I agree. I have never seen the movie but my mother taught me these things as a child...sometimes I forget but I do try...LOL

Thanks,

Karen
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

For your comments and responses and the poem is beautiful. Thanks.

Another notable aspect of the move is that the kid thought he had failed with the first person he tried to help but he didn't. If it had not been for his helping the junkie, the junkie would not have gone on to help the woman trying to jump off the bridge. We often do not see the results of our kindnesses, just like in "It's A Wonderful Life."

For anyone who saw the movie, "What The Bleep Do We Know," the experiments on expressing emotions toward simple water, and photographing the water molecules with a microscope, had to have been mind blowing. It is physical evidence that our thoughts affect the world in which we live. BTW, if y'all missed my post on "What The Bleep: Further Down The Rabbit Hole," it is available to preorder at a big discount. It will be released on Aug. 1st.

Love, Mikie
  7. tandy

tandy New Member

One of my favorites!!
    I don't usually BUY movies,..I'll just rent them and watch it.
    But this one I went out and bought after I saw it. I loved it. although it is very sad. But the actors were all so great in it!

Another awsome movie was Losing Isaiah.(Halle Berry stars) Step Mom was also fantastic!
    I could go on but won't :)

8. JLH

JLH New Member

I know I have seen the movie, but can't remember what it is about. I hate it when this happens!! I'll have to keep my eye out to see if it comes on any old movie station that we get on our dish.
  9. atiledsner

atiledsner New Member

Thank You.......I have found that you are so informative on so many subjects. Thanks for sharing.
  10. angellwolffe

angellwolffe New Member

i haven't seen the whole movie. i have yet to see a whole movie in one sitting. but one of my personal philosophies is that if i made someone smile or laugh today my job has been done and i've had a good day. Just today i made several people smile at the store i work at. they might have been simple little things but at the time they were precious moments. Angell
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

So many times when I have opened my heart to new things, something comes along which fits into my life like a piece of a jugsaw puzzle. It's called synchronicity (not sure I spelled that correctly :) I always take that as a sign that something important just happened.

I also like the part in "What The Bleep Do We Know" where the one scientist tells about how he mentally and spiritually "creates" his day and then asks for feedback from the Universe that he was heard and made a difference. The Bleep website has a transcript of what he said in the movie. I think I'll print it out.

Just to clarify, for anyone who isn't familiar with the films: "What The Bleep Do We Know" has been out for some time. It shows now and then on the Encore Channels and can be bought or rented. The sequel, "What The Bleep: Further Down The Rabbit Hole," is being shown is selected cities around the country prior to being released in DVD on Aug. 1st. The set being offered on the website at discount contains a lot of extra material and interviews with the scientists and contributors to the project. I don't know whether the one for sale in retail outlets will includes this material or not. I'm really excited and anxious to get the set in Aug.

Love, Mikie
  12. MamaR

MamaR New Member

I have been terribly down today...and in so much pain. Plus many other issues. I really feel like I was directed here to see this. I haven't been on in awhile and just felt like I should look.

Thank you for the info to the site.

It helped me alot....as I realize it will be worth it!

Love....Mari
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I am so sorry you are feeling so bad. I pray that you get relief soon. Sometimes, I think we stumble upon just what we need but I don't think it's an accident or coincidence. I'm so glad this helped.

(((((Feel better)))))

Love, Mikie
  14. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I don't even remember what it was selling, but one person helps someone on the street, and someone else witnesses that and helps another person, etc., etc. I have only seen it once, but it was beautifully done...I'd like to see it again. Has anyone seen it?
  15. MamaR

MamaR New Member

Thanks so much.

I came on here this morning...up in pain. I am going to call the doc. I had a lupus blood test done almost three weeks ago and they haven't called me. It was probably negative, but it would be nice to know for sure.
    My doc in Illinois would call either way when he did blood work. I guess they all are different.

Take care....Mari
  16. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Alaska, I have seen that commercial and thought, what a pleasant and rare experience. Every now and then, someone makes a really good commercial. There was a study done where people did these little acts of kindness. It was found that not only the people giving and receiving the kindness had beneficial reactions, but that observers of the kind acts did as well. In other words, kindness and uplifting feelings are contageous. Now that's something I don't mind being infected with :)

Mari, unfortunately, so many docs today will not call unless test results are out of the normal range. I've even had my doc tell me my test results were "normal" when, in fact, there were several things which were out of the normal range but not by too far. I always ask for a copy of the labs at my next appt. Docs today are far too busy and overworked to provide optimum health care.

Love, Mikie
  17. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

We bought the movie for $2.00 from Hollywood used sale. My son Danny, who you know is autistic, just loves it. It has a great moral to it though it is so sad.

There is another movie about a disabled boy who this other kid helps there is a scene where the school bus goes under water-wow that is another great movie anyone know the name, I think it is the name of the child, the title.

I also love the movie where the dad and son reach each other by an old fashioned radio.

Softies that we are.. Have to go. Love ya

Anne Cromwell
  18. kbak

kbak Member

Saw that yrs. ago and loved it!! I truly belive that if we all adopted the pay it forward way of doing things, we could change the world.

K.
  19. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Is believing that we cannot affect the world. There is so much going on in the world which could make us cynical. I'm so glad there are still people who believe that kindness and generosity, large or small, has the power to effect change.

Anne, I'm glad your son likes the movie. I really think it's important to for children to see stories about handicapped kids or sick children because it helps them develop an understanding that not everyone is the same. It can also help a child who is sick to know he or she is not alone.

Love, Mikie
    [This Message was Edited on 06/27/2006]