OT Pineapple Energy Smoothie Recipe

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mrsjethro, Jun 25, 2006.

1. mrsjethro

mrsjethro New Member

I got this recipe in my email today from Swanson vitamins. I'm probably going to buy some of the ingredients from other less expensive sources, but it actually looked like it would taste pretty good and most of us could use an energy boost. Just thought I'd share...

Whey protein powder is a great source of emergency energy because the amino acids are easily digested and assimilated by the body in a short amount of time. The medium-chain triglycerides in coconut oil are never stored as fat but are available to the body as an immediate source of energy.

8 ounces of pineapple juice
    1 scoop of Whey Protein Powder
    1 tbsp of Coconut Oil
    1 frozen banana, sliced
    1/4 tsp of ginger
    drizzle of honey

Peel the banana, wrap in plastic wrap and place in the freezer at least 12 hours before making the smoothie. It’s easy to store a few bananas in the freezer since they’ll keep almost indefinitely. When ready to make, remove the plastic wrap and cut the banana in 6 pieces with a sharp knife. Pour the pineapple juice in a blender while it is in the OFF position, and add the coconut oil and banana pieces. Turn the blender ON (make sure the cover is on the carafe), and while it’s whirring, remove the cover and add the Whey Protein Powder, the honey and the ginger. Blend for a minute or so until the consistency is smooth and creamy. Pour in a 16-ounce glass or into the shell of carved-out pineapple and drink through a straw. In about 10 minutes you will feel electrified and ready to do something fun!

I haven't actually tried this yet, but I'm making out my shopping list now. Let me know if you think this would be good, or if you see any reason that we shouldn't try this one. Some of you more "seasoned" fibro gurus know a lot more about this stuff than I do.
    ((((hugs))))
    mrsjethro
  2. namow

namow New Member

Sounds really good to me! Cheers!!!
  3. dleaning

dleaning New Member

where do you get the coconut oil from? Grocery store or health food store. THis sounds like a great recipe!

Dawn
  4. sascha

sascha Member

can order online - Tropical Traditions or Garden of Life are two places to order from. i think it's cheaper online- i just ordered for the first time from Garden of Life for coconut oil. can also buy coc.oil at health food stores. sometimes in groceries. but look for organic, unrefined, extra virgin.

another smoothie recipe- so good- (thanks for yours!)
    1 C coconut milk (get organic)
    blueberries (1/4 C or so)
    half an apple
    stevia sweetener (shake some in)
    1 TBsp coc. oil
    1 scoop Garden of Life goateine whey powder
    1 TBsp fresh-ground flax seeds (for omega 3 fatty acids)
    8-10 ice cubes
    *blend all ingredients at high speed. i just got new blender with smoothie and ice-breaking settings, so i don't seem to need to grind the flax seeds beforehand- i just put them in on top of other ingrediends, and they seem to be ground up as the drink processes.

be sure coconut oil is unrefined, extra virgin, organic- don't get refined/and certainly don't get hydrogenated. that's the bad stuff that contains trans-fatty acids which you do not want. sascha
  5. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I recently saw cocoanut oil at Lindburgh Nutrition Store. The store is in S. Calif. I don't know if they have stores elsewhere.