ot please help...3 yr old with rash and diharea

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by blessedmom2four, Jul 4, 2006.

1. blessedmom2four

blessedmom2four New Member

he woke up this am with major diharea, in his pull up...he is potty trained ... he thought he peed... few hours later he has hive type rash on knees and arms

doctor office is closed today??????crap hope we dont have to spend hour in the ER
  2. sorekitty

sorekitty New Member

could it be "hand, foot, mouth" illness AKA Coxsackie virus? Is he interested in food at all? Does he have a fever? Does he have sores in his mouth? Rash is common with the illness. My ds had this last fall when he was 3. Just keep offering liquids like water or pedialyte.

I'm sorry your little one is so ill. I had to hold my son for about 3 days straight when he had it (even if I had to go to the bathroom) or else he would just scream or cry. Hope it doesn't cause you major muscle pain!

Best to you both
  3. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

Anytime I hear hives and kid, I get worried.

My immediate concern would be that he might be having some kind of allergic reaction or is infected with a food-borne illness. Neither of which should be taken lightly.

I would take him to the ER - it's better to be safe with little ones.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie
  4. BethM

BethM New Member

I'm so sorry your son is feeling sick today.

This doesn't sound like 'foot and mouth' disease, as that is usually little red pinpoint spots on the hands, feet and mouth that are very tender and sore.

You might want to try giving him children's benadryl (diphenhydramine) for the hives (the pharmacist can direct you for this), and also talk to the pharmacist about children's medications like Immodium, to stop the diarrhea.

Does he have any allergies? Did he eat anything unusual last night? Are any of his little friends sick, in his play group or preschool or whatever?

Be sure he doesn't get dehydrated. Apple juice can make the diarrhea worse. You may want to get Pedialyte or something like that. I believe it also comes in popsicle form, which most kids love! They'll eat a popsicle even if they won't drink anything.

One last thing... you will do better going to an urgent care facility, rather than the ER, will spend less time. Also, before you go, tell them he has a rash. They should NOT have a child with a rash wait in the general waiting room. At least that's how I ran the evening urgent care clinic I was in charge of many years ago!

If he shows any trouble with breathing, obviously, call for help!

I've probabaly posted things you of course know about already, forgive me if I've overstepped anywhere!

Peace,
    Beth.
  5. BethM

BethM New Member

How is your son feeling? I hope he is better and was able to enjoy the 4th of July celebrations today! (assuming you live in the USA, of course!)

Hugs,
    Beth.
  6. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

If not, then it could be a bug or something similar.

Good luck. If we went to the ER today we would have had to spend well over 10 hours there. I hate going to that place.

Good luck and hope he feels better.

Hugs,
    Faye
  7. blessedmom2four

blessedmom2four New Member

i had called the advice nurse...she gave me all the signs to look for...and watch to take him in. hasnt had anymore diharea. still has itchy rash. he is sleeping now. made it through 4th. witch he hated watched from the car with ear plugs.

he now has alittle on his face so i am alittle worried, it is 1am now. i will call and bring him to our ped. 1st thiing in the morning.

will let you know what it was..
    i think it was beth that thought she was over stepping, absolutley not..there was alot of great thoughts from you and everybody

night all hope youall had a great 4th
  8. hanna4175

hanna4175 New Member

do you have corn starch..or just regular flour?? this is what you do.. i have been through this with my two boys.. i get cornstarch and put it on a pan..you have to keep mixing it up.. let it burn a bit.. get a container and let it cool completely.. clean the affected area and put loads of corn starched on his little bottom.. let him go around WITHOUT the pullup for a couple of hours.. you will see what i am talking about.. keep doing this a few times a day and it will clear right up!! it has never failed me once.. and saves a trip to the doctor.. let me know how all goes.. just keep the rest in that same container till you might need it again..you dont have to re fry it either..hope this helps

hanna
  9. teresa4

teresa4 New Member

Hi mom of four, meet mom of seven. Don't panic. It sounds like he just has a normal rash type reaction to his urine. I would get a urinalysis down asap and then treat his rash with good old desenex cream. My poor kids were always covered with it. Maybe you could let him run around with out underwear, since he is potty trained. Put on daddys or mommys night shirt for a while. He probably will think it is neat and it may help the rash. Rashs like warm wet dark places with no air. I hope it works. Please let me know. Sorry It's just plan old mom advice.
    Good luck.
    Bless you
    Teresa4