OT: PLEASE READ Do only teachers get paid during summer break?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lenasvn, Jun 28, 2006.

1. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

The reason I ask is that my son's dad work as a Maintenance in a school, and this is the first year I live on child support ONLY (an extremely low monthly income, and no- I can't work, and can't apply for SSDI).

I haven't seen the last payment yet, and it makes me panick stricken, I might end up living on only $285.00/mo if he is not getting paid during the summer!

Does anyone know anything about employees and summer closure schools, pays and all that? I'm of course hoping that my fears are unfounded, but if they're not- me and my children are in big trouble.

I stopped accepting the TANF grant because I can't work or seek work, and my current Dr can't spit up a diagnosis to relieve me from job search activities. For now, I'm in a catch 22.
  2. kat2002

kat2002 New Member

In many school districts, maintenance and custodial workers are employees that work all year (no summer break), so they get paid on a regular basis. I have no idea what happens if they only work during the school year. I would think that the only way for you to know for sure if he gets paid is to find out what the custom in your area is.

Wish I could help more,
    Kat
  3. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

It helps alot! Unfortunately this is the only info disclosed about his dads whereabouts, we have not seen him for 7 years. I am not sure where he is, but possibly SD, maybe ND. That's it.

I pray and hope this is just a strange, temporary delay.
  4. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

I do not know the answer to your question.

I just wanted you to know that I pray it works out well.
  5. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Bless your heart!
  6. jujubug

jujubug New Member

Hi...I retired as a school bus driver and can tell you that i got paid all thru the yr. Summers off and still got a pay check because they gave me a little less every two weeks during the school yr so i could have a reg. pay thru out the summer.make sense?? lol.. hope so. I don't know about the janitorial people though.
  7. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

can you apply for ssi? do you have a section 8 voucher..i hope you are doing fine...i know how stressful this is...been there and doing it,,,

i would take the advice of the previous post...that is how my in laws did their paychecks...to spread it out duringthe year///

maintenace no sure if he is working year roudn...they do out at my son's school..

jodie
  8. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

depends on the school. I think janitors, etc. work the year round tho. Did where I went to school. Work on the grounds, cleaning and waxing all the floors, possibly painting, etc.

I would think the norm is to get paid all year too.
  9. SBear

SBear Member

I'm a retired teacher------teachers do not get paid during summer break unless they have reserved part of their pay and agreed to receive it later.

The summer break is a seasonal layoff technically, so teachers do not qualify for unemployment during that time. Some of the teachers at my school rehabbed houses to make money during that time if they were not required to go to college or do something else during that time. I never could do that because I never had the physical pep to do the heavy work, climb on ladders, etc.

I taught in a private school, and there was always the possibility of the school going out of business, so I always saved during the year through the credit union, and I learned how to make many many kinds of pasta salad, rice salad, and bean salad. And I sewed, sewed, sewed making things from yardgoods and cutting down adult clothes into children's clothes. Bills were paid, but just barely. Finances were nip and tuck even with the most careful planning!

Wouldn't change it for the world-----I loved the work and would be doing teaching today if I could----but it isn't a gold mine.
  10. cindye

cindye New Member

In GA the maintenance people in the schools work twelve months of the year - summer being the busies time as they are able to do work they cannot do when the students are there. The teachers get paid during the summer because their yearly salary is divided by twelve months instead of 9 months
  11. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

I hear that many teachers often get small jobs to make money. I believe that janitors are still needed alot because of summer school. They may not need all of them, but some of them.

Stephanie
  12. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Some teachers do not get paid for summers and are on 10 month contracts BTW. This is mmany will do summer schools are do ither job in summer. Their health cover etc continues though.

A lot depends on the district.

Love Anne Crom
  13. janieb

janieb New Member

Teachers don't get paid for the summer months if they don't work. They just get their 9 months of checks split up over 12 months.

If he works in maintenance, I can't believe he wouldn't be working in the summer. That's when they are getting things taken care of. All the projects they can't do when the kids are around. If you think it's possible he isn't working, call the district office and ask them.

In Wisconsin, we have to send in the name and ss # of all new employees. They then notify us what we have to deduct each month. We have no choice, so if he is working, you will get the money.

Good luck

janieb
  14. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

So many replies, thank you all!

Well, as I stated in my post, I can't apply for SSDI or wellfare, because of some reasons I am too tired to get into right now (diagnosis awaiting, etc).

I would assume that he is working all year after reading the replies. It may be so though, that the regular staff in the offices might be gone for a few weeks, and whomever is filling in is goofing up on the child support payments for the staff.

That is all I can figure, I still haven't seen anything come in.

Anyways, I will try to put the worries aside for a later date- I managed to pull a couple of hours for my landlord(at my own phase, he knows my health is kaputt) so we can go to Toppenish Rodeo and Pow wow on Monday! Yeah!

My favorite cultural thing is Pow Wow dancing and my son is N.A. so he gets his share of being proud of who he is, despite his fathers abcence!

I wish I could do more than pull a couple of hours without crashing in a flare, but I'm glad I got something done, we haven't been away from home for 3 darn years, not even overnight. We deserve this, my children especially.