OT - please read - need to know something! (shingles)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kinsie, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

I usually try to stay with the subject of FM and CFS, but I don't have anyone else to ask.

My 88 year old Mom had the shingles a couple of years ago ( when my Dad passed away). Now whenever she gets under a lot of stress she starts to itch all over. She believes it's connected with the shingles, and she's miserable.

The doctor prescribed some lotion, and an "itching" pill (that makes her too sleepy), and that's about it.

Does anyone know about this kind of thing?? What does someone do with chronic itching that does not stem from dermatitis?? It came on her this time because she was dreading some surgery she was scheduled to have ( we cancelled the surgery for now).

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Kinsie
    [This Message was Edited on 11/09/2005]
  2. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

Vilke,

I really appreciate the information about Elidel. I will tell my Mom about it. Her doctor is pretty good about giving her samples to try before she actually gets a prescription filled.

I will see if we might be able to get a sample.

At this point, she's ready to try anything.

Again, thank you.

Kinsie
  3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

can flare up again and again but your Mum would have a rash if it was the shingles again.

Has she tried a antihistamine for overall itching,I get itchy sometimes for no reason and an antihistamine always helps.

You can ask for antihistamines that dont make you sleepy and they are not expensive.

love
    Rosie