OT Poll: What do you collect?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by UnicornK, Aug 28, 2006.

1. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

I've noticed that many of us collect things...other than diseases and dust, I mean! LOL

I collect unicorns (hence my name) and other fantasy items, and cats. I probably have well over 250 unicorns including pictures, blankets, pillows, jewelry - even a tattoo. I'm catching up with dragons, and castles and wizards are not far behind. (My mother collects dragons also, but hers are the Chinese kind.)

I don't have as many cats, but I do have three living with me. Actually, they let me live with them. LOL

So...what do YOU collect?

God Bless.
  2. keke466

keke466 New Member

I had a large collection of barbies and other dolls and some Elvis but sold all of them last Christmas. Just couldn't keep up with all the dusting. Had all kinds of toys and stuff,got rid of those too,sold some and gave some away. Had some precious moments stuff,gave some to one of my nieces for Christmas. Have probably 100 hallmark ornaments I'm going to sell on ebay. They're still in the boxes so I'm hoping I'll get a good price for them. Had some collector plates,sold them. I've been going thru my house the last year trying to downsize while I can. I cried while getting rid of some of it,isn't that stupid.LOL..

Keke
  3. mrpain

mrpain New Member

Symptoms!!!!!!!!!!!!
  4. tata1580

tata1580 New Member

all my marbles ( that I have been losing for sometime now)
    in old fruit jars..

I also collect chickens and roosters in my kitchen..

I also collect old buttons in the old fruit jar collection.

Thanks a fun post
    Tami
  5. suzetal

suzetal New Member

I collect Boyds Bears.I have a large collection .I would say about 1000.

I love them so much.I also have a big favorite that my DH got me when my Dad passed 3 yrs ago.Hes my buddy .Don't laugh but I sleep with him and also took him on the plain with me when I went to GA in June.

I have my two granddaughters started also.They are 3 and 4 yrs old and keep them all on shelves in there rooms.

The best part was when I found 2 old little girl boyds with the same last name as my grand daughters.

Lindy how many do you have?I also started collecting there resin I love it all.

Hugs>>>>FOR EVERY DAY A NEW DAWN WILL COME>>>>.....Sue
  6. TerryS

TerryS Member

especially the wind up kind!

I'd like to collect money, but that just hasn't happened!

Terry
  7. BEARANDBUGSMOM

BEARANDBUGSMOM New Member

I collect DUST....from sitting on the couch all the time!!!

HE, HE,
    Kelly
  8. kriket

kriket New Member

Arrowheads and Indian Artifacts.

Kriket
  9. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

so I collect thimbles.I have always just loved Happy Faces so I am collecting those too.Linda
  10. ckball

ckball New Member

Dust and dog fur,lol

Actually I have a bell collection. It was my grandmothers, I took them when she died in 1974.

She traveled all over the world. Years ago family-in law bought me the cheap dollar store bells for every christmas, birthday.

I have downsized my collection to the most special ones. I had about 80 at one time, now less than 40.

I use to collect tea kettles, copper, brass, porcelien. When I moved from VA to mom's, they sat in boxes for nearly 4 years.

When I had the estate sale for mom, I let go of a lot of things. I wanted to down size so that when I moved into my house it would be easier.

I HATE dusting little nick nacks. I only kept things that I can keep behind glass. I turned a large antique pie safe in to a photo collection. I can see all my family photos just fine. But don't have to dust them.

It's been interesting to see what others collect too. Good thread-Carla
  11. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

It is funny, as I have had many interests and collections over the years.

I have always loved books, so I collected them for years. Have given most of them away now.

I have collected snow globes for some years. Lost interest in this when my daughters half sisters broke a bunch of them when they were younger.

I have collected music boxes for a while. This was an offshoot of the snow globes.

Lets see, some others have been pewter animals (small size), crystal pieces (small ones), postcards, t-shirts. Oh, and one I had for some time was decorative tins. I have given most of those away.

Ingrid
  12. dleaning

dleaning New Member

Swarovski (sp?) crystal animals, shot glasses from states or vacation sites, and magnets too!

Dawn
  13. mykas_mommy

mykas_mommy New Member

dust!!! Dont believe me come check out my house and my car!!!
  14. GLASTETTER

GLASTETTER New Member

BOOKS, DVD'S, CANDLES, FRAMES
    I LOVE TO READ AND WATCH MOVIES, MY FAVORITE MOVIE ARE SCARY ONES AND OF COURSE I HAVE TO HAVE THE STAR WARS, HARRY POTTER AND DISNEY CLASSIC MOVIES, PERFUME, MAKEUP I AM REALLY BAD WITH MAKEUP AND A GIRL I WORKED WITH JUST TURNED ME ON TO AVON JEWERLY (NECKLESES AND EARRING THAT MATCH)

I KNOW THERE IS MORE BUT I CAN'T REMEMBER ANYTHING ELSE

THAT WAS FUN
    LOVE TO ALL
    BARBARA
  15. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

My DH started bringing me pots decorated with Indian writings when he traveled out West yrs. ago.I display them on the fireplace mantel and love looking at them.One day I'll travel again and add to the collection that's what I tell myself anyway.
  16. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

pottery and angels.
  17. JLH

JLH New Member

I have a large, beautiful collection of Fostoria fine crystal that belonged to my grandmother which she started buying piece by piece in the 1940's, maybe earlier. It was passed down to her only daughter, which is my mother. My mother has passed it down to me .... and of course, I intend to pass it down to my two daughters.

I also have a vast collection of Moon & Star. The Moon & Star crystal is a Victorian pattern which was first introduced in the 1800's. The pattern was very popular, but due to the heaviness of the glass, transporting it by stagecoach was difficult and not practical. It has been read to be Abraham Lincoln's favorite piece and was collected by the late Kate Smith. In the 1960's approximately a dozen of the original pieces were reproduced and sold. The Moon & Star design was incorporated into approximately 100 new items which were sold nationwide for several years. Around 1988 is the last time I found a piece.

I also collect Fenton. I buy a piece every chance I get and my daughters always get me a piece for my birthday and/or Chrismas. I also buy them quite a few pieces each year and have started my new daughter-in-law a collection, too. My daughters' late uncle started buying them Fenton when they were about 8 years old and told them that they would some day cherish it--and they had too many toys anyway!! LOL He passed away about 6 years ago, and since then I made sure to continue adding to their collections since he was no longer around to do so.

I also collect cookbooks. I collect them like other people collect regular books!! I used to love to cook and bake, when I was able. I always hope to be able to again some day!

Over the last 35 years of marriage, my husband has bought me quite a collection of diamonds--rings, braclets, necklaces, and earrings. However, when I retired in 1999, so did he from buying me these gifts!! He said since I was no longer working, that I did not need them anymore!! Ugh!!

When he would buy me something, he said it was good for a few years of gift-giving occasions like birthday, valentine's day, mother's day, our anniversary, etc. He stuck to it, too! (I used to get a piece every 5 years, then he kind of slacked off!)

He said he got these for me with the intention of having something to pass down to our girls, then their children, and down and down the generations. He is really big into family and history, etc.

So all my jewelry and gold necklaces are basically in my drawers now because my hands are too swollen to wear them--I do wear the earrings and necklaces, though. Each child has already spoken for which ones they want when it's time to inherit them!!!!

jlh (Janet)

18. marsupialmama

marsupialmama New Member

It's fascinating to see the things that everyone is into!

I'm a book freak so I have *lots* of books. I mostly keep reference and non-fiction books. I read fiction to but usually only once, so those I get from the library, or I buy from yard sales and donate them after reading them. I have five tall book cases in the basement rec room, two more in my study, a book case of cookbooks in the kitchen...

The books get the once-over every so often and the cullings get donated to local school or the library's book sale rack, or whatever good cause is around at the time.

We collect movies/DVDs as well, because we don;t have TV/cable. They are mostly kids stuff as most of the grown-up movies these days are too violent or raunchy (or both) for our tastes.

I have a bird house collection too but I haven't unpacked it since we moved last fall as there isn't really a place for it here.

I hate dusting nicknacks too so I don't go for ornaments. I have a lot of framed pictures - some done by my mom. I prefer things on walls to things on shelves.

And I have a small teddy bear collection (small collection of small bears LOL) housed in a small shelving unit which has glass doors. I kept spices in it in the old house. But it's just about full so I don;t want any more.

I am a clutter bug but am trying to fight it because it's hard enough to clean house when you are tired/fatigued/in pain etc without having to shift a bunch of stuff around too.
  19. PianoGirl

PianoGirl New Member

Snoopy and the Peanuts Gang. Have a huge collection of everything imaginable. Also have a smaller collection of dogs, I inherited my mom's shadow box that has all kinds of antique glass dogs in it.

And.........dog fur.........i am ALWAYS taking a part of the dogs with me when i walk out the door. :)
  20. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

Hey, everyone, I don't think I've ever posted before. Hello. I'm new, a recently medically retired teacher (fibro, chronic myofascial pain, degenerative disc disease, migraines).

Here's what I collect:
    Shoes, hearts, cookie jars and pill boxes/containers. I also collect newspaper articles on my past students (sports, successes and failures, etc.)

Mini4Me
    [This Message was Edited on 08/30/2006]