OT - post your candida-safe treats

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shannonsparkles, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Here's a few sweet pick-me-ups for the creative candida person. A note: Our sense of how sweet things are changes when we use this diet, so feel free to adjust the sweeteners in these recipes to taste.

This recipe I adapted from a Martha Stewart recipe. It's a rich, flavorful treat that I eat slowly by the spoonful while deep in my latest novel.

Lemon Curd
    This can be prepared several days in advance and stored in the refrigerator; use any extra as a spread.
    3 large egg yolks, strained
    Zest of 1/2 lemon
    1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
    5 tablespoons xylitol
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, cut into pieces

1. Strain yolks and lemon juice through a fine strainer into a small saucepan, add xylitol and lemon zest. Whisk to combine. Set over medium heat, and stir constantly with a spoon, making sure to stir sides and bottom of pan. Cook until mixture is thick enough to coat back of wooden spoon, 5 to 7 minutes. (tip: turn the heat to medium-low when it begins to steam, to lessen the chance of overcooking)

2. Remove saucepan from heat. Add butter, one piece at a time, stirring until consistency is smooth. Stir in more butter or xylitol to taste if desired.

3. Transfer mixture to a medium bowl. Lay a sheet of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the curd to avoid a skin from forming(I like the skin best, so I just wrap it the regular way); wrap tightly. Let cool; refrigerate until firm and chilled, at least 1 hour, or eat immediately if desired. Store refrigerated in an airtight container up to 2 days.

For the left-over egg whites, here's something I whip up.

Shannon's Baked Merangue Snack
    3 egg whites at room temperature
    1/2 tsp salt
    3T xylitol
    oil
    orange essential oil (optional)

Grease a 9" glass baking dish with oil, add a few drops of orange essential oil if desired. Place salt and egg whites in a large bowl (not a plastic bowl). With electric mixer, beat on medium speed till foamy. Add xylitol one tablespoon at a time, beating on low speed for a minute or so between each addition. Continue to beat on low speed till stiff peaks form. Spoon into the baking dish. Bake at 400*F for ten minutes, then reduce heat to 325*F and continue baking for another 40 minutes, or until merangue springs back when pressed lightly with a finger. Remove from oven and cool slightly. Cut into quarters.

This one is for those of us frustrated by losing that suggary yogurt. It's not the same, but close enough. :)

Easy "Strawberry" Yogurt
    plain yogurt
    pure vegetable glycerine
    pure unsweetened cranberry juice

Spoon the desired ammount of yogurt into a small bowl. Gently stir in enough cranberry juice to make it that pretty pink color. Stir in enough glycerine to sweeten to taste.

Here's something with pumpkin seeds. The result tastes peanutbuttery and sweet, with a bit of a chew. It can also be used as a mock graham cracker crust.

Shannon’s P.S. Squares
    I cup pumpkin seeds (toast at 350*F for five minutes or so,
    stirring often, till all golden brown; cool)
    4 T xylitol
    3/4 tsp salt
    2 tsp melted butter or oil

In blender, process seeds, xylitol and salt, half at a time, stirring often till very finely ground; it's okay to have some sees whole. Place ground mixture in a medium bowl. Add fat, stir with a fork till well combined. Lightly grease a small glass baking dish. Place mixture into dish. Use a spoon to pack it down very firmly. Bake at 350*F for 15 minutes, or until edges begin to brown. Cool. Cut into squares. Makes 16 squares; serves one hungry snacker

variation: Shannon's P.S. Chewy Squares
    Double the recipe, and stir in one egg until evenly mixed. Bake at 325*F until edges begin to brown lightly, or until it's cooked.

This one's a summery recipe. If you like milder-tasting jello, you can make it with 1/3cup cranberry juice and 2/3 cup water instead.

Shannon’s Cranberry Jello
    1/2 cup pure unsweetened cranberry juice
    1/2 water
    3/4 tsp agar powder
    2 T pure vegetable glycerine

Place agar and water in a small bowl, let stand. In small pot, simmer cranberry juice 5 minutes. Add agar mixture to cranberry juice, stirring until comes to a boil. Simmer 5 minutes. Pour mixture into small glass dish or bowl, cool slightly, stir in glycerine. Chill in freezer till set, about 20 minutes.
    Variation: omit glycerine. Add 3 tablespoons xylitol to boiled mixture.

This is a nice snack. Play with the sweetener ammount, the water content, or add cocoa powder or whatever you like. It's also good to freeze it partly while still in the blender, then blend it smooth for a frosty treat.

Shannon's Creamy Nut Milk
    (makes one cup)
    1/4 cup lightly toasted nuts (any kind)
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp oil
    1T + 1 tsp xylitol
    1 cup water

Place nuts, salt, xylitol and oil in blender, grind. Add enough of the water to blender to make a paste, and grind mixture until it is completely smooth. Add the rest of the water, and blend for a minute. If desired, add more water for a thinner nut milk, or add flavorings.

Post your own candida-safe treat recipes on this thread. :)

[This Message was Edited on 10/23/2005]