OT: Pregnancy related/question about swelling

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by KateMac329, Jan 23, 2006.

1. KateMac329

KateMac329 New Member

Hello all!

Okay since Friday I have been all swelled up! I was supposed to go see my OB today but rescheduled for Thursday and now I am starting to wonder if I should have forced myself to go.

I just feel like crap! LOL Seriously!

I feel so swollen! My hands were so swollen yesterday and Saturday that I have had to have ice packs on them.

I know swelling in the last part of your pregnancy is normal but how do I know what is normal and what is cause for concern.

My face is swollen and my eye lids are swollen slightly. I mean I don't want you guys to think I am sitting here squinting at the screen, it isn't like that.

I definitely am swollen but I just don't know what is normal.

I can make a fist today with my hands although it is difficult and hurts and typing does hurt but again I just don't know.

Putting ice on my hands helps them feel better but doesn't really take away the swelling, just relieves the pain and discomfort.

My feet and ankles have been swollen for awhile now but this past week they have been worse. Again I am sure it is normal.

But the thing with my ankles is that one of my dogs scratched me and I have this open wound that feels like it is going to burst because of the swelling. It throbs because of the pressure of the swelling.

Anyway I know I am probably just being a worry wart but I really and truly don't know what is the "normal" late pregnancy swelling and what isn't.

Oh and I am drinking lots of water!

((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))

Thanks in advance for you help!

kate
  2. bphayes

bphayes New Member

i'd go to the dr. it doesn't sound within normal boundaries to me. i've had 3 babies but i'm still no expert. my sister was severly swollen with her baby, it was high blood pressure and sugar. just go...don't call...just go. thats what i would do.
  3. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

I would contact your doc immediately - nothing to fool around with late stage pregnancy - no expert here since I have no kids but I have a friend that had Preeclampsia and this is a description from the internet - also called toxemia, is a problem that occurs in some women during pregnancy. It can happen during the second half of pregnancy. Your doctor will look for the following signs of preeclampsia: high blood pressure, swelling that doesn't go away and large amounts of protein in your urine.

Good luck...

4. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

No advice, but glad you're back!
  5. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I was part of a group counselling do, and the young woman who headed it was about your age and having her first baby. She and her husband were just fascinated in all the changes her body would go through and she was a trooper (just like you) w/ all the weird and wonderful phases of it. In her last trimester, when she was getting near to popping (again like you) she had the very same kind of swelling all over. We all had a good chuckle becasue even her little nose was swollen. She honestly looked a steroids case, but healthy as can be.

Doesn't hurt to get it checked, but no panic in the meantime.

Something perfectly safe you can take now for inflammation and mild inflammation related pain is proteolytic enzymes. I'm not positive how well it will take care of your present swelling, because I'm pretty sure it's due to water retention gone awry, but it will definitely help w/ your scratch. These protein digesting type enzymes are used widely in Germany/Europe for post surgery healing and work better than ibuprofen. They aren't used presurgery though because they have a modest bloodthinning effect, so I wouldn't use them if you feel any type of contractions coming on.

I buy mine from Prohealth, ProEnzyme P, and they've been invaluable for help w/ period and IBS bloating and all many of FM inflammation on my body. They don't replace my narcotics for big pain relief, but they augment it well and have totally replaced ibuprofen and any other NSAID or aspirin for me.

jeanne
  6. KateMac329

KateMac329 New Member

Okay I agree, I shouldn't have canceled my appointment but will be going on Thursday BUT if the swelling is not better by tomorrow I will call and ask them to see what they say.

I appreciate all of the concern but I think it may be normal. My neighbor (who is NOT a doctor) just had a baby and I just talked to her about it and she said the SAME exact thing happened to her.

She agreed to call the doctor tomorrow but that it is pretty normal towards the end like this.

I did forget to mention that I am just under three weeks away from delievering, sorry I guess I just assume everyone remembers! LOL I don't know why I did I forget sometimes how far a long I am myself! LOL

So I do appreciate all the advice. I am just going to keep sitting here with my feet up chugging the water down in hopes I will feel better!!!!

Thanks all!!! (((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))

kate
  7. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

Kate,

I've been a doula and childbirth educator for many years and what you're describing is not within normal bounds. It can be caused by various things but most often lack of protein which causes the cells to leak fluids into surrounding tissues.

It can also involve kidney or heart function which is more strained in pregnancy and as others mentioned toxemia, often accompanied by high blood pressure, but not always.

For your sake and your baby's sake I would get seen RIGHT NOW and if you can't go to the OBs office, then go to labor and delivery at the hospital where you will be having the baby and let them check everything out.

I'm not trying to terrify you, just get across the potential for serious complications. You also need to be sure the wound is cared for properly since your immune system is compromised in pregnancy. Be sure to show that to the doctor/nurses.

Jan
  8. JLH

JLH New Member

You need to alert your ob/gyn immediately about your swelling!!!

IT COULD BE SERIOUS!

About 3 to 4 weeks prior to giving birth to my son, I started swelling up like that--a bit more than what I considered normal. I called my doc--it was on a Sunday so I knew it was his answering service--but he called me back immediately and told me he would meet me at the hospital after their evaluation, if needed.

I went straight to the hospital, and they called him within 5 minutes after they saw me and took my vitals.

I had pre-eclampsia (? sp.) which could have been life threatening to me and to the baby, according to my doc.

So, the rest of the evening, the doc and nurses were very busy with me.

PLEASE CALL DOC NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'M WORRIED ABOUT YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Much love and concern,
    Janet
  9. KateMac329

KateMac329 New Member

I am not trying to worry you guys but now I am starting to get worried!!!

I took a warm bath and that actually seemed to help a little. I am feeling really tired though so I don't know.

My husband is coming home in a few minutes and he said that if I looked worse than yesterday that we are definitely going to the doctor.

I know this sounds silly but I think I am doing better. I am really sorry I didn't mean to worry you guys but I DO really appreciate all your feedback.

I will post a little later tonight and tell you how I am doing but for now I need to go lay down.

Talk to you all soon!

(((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))

kate
  10. Notonline

Notonline New Member

Please Kate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

{{{{{Hugs}}}}
    Danny

11. KateMac329

KateMac329 New Member

Okay no I didn't go to the doctor because by the time hubby got home almost all of the swellling had gone down.

I am a littl swollen today but really I think this is normal stuff.

I am feeling extra exhausted but I know it is MY FAULT!

I have run myself into the ground trying to get ready for Landon.

It is like it just hit me really bad last night. I have been tired and of course with reason but last night as I was sitting on a bar stool making dinner I just felt like I got hit by a truck.

Kind of like a flare but without the pain.

I just literally feel really run down. Since last night I just reading on the board is making me feel bad.

I know this is normal for most of you and I have been there before the pregnancy so I am not whining!!! I am just saying that I have completely exhausted myself.

Today I am literally doing nothing!!!!!!! My cleaning lady will be here around noon so I really don't have to do anything today.

Anyway, just updating you guys. If you don't see me much I am resting!

(((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))

kate
  12. butler86

butler86 New Member

Honey you need to go to the doctor asap to make sure that it is nothing. It is better to be safe then sorry.
  13. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

better safe than sorry

i had toxemia...i was put in the hospital last month of my pregnancy...

had a healthy baby but i was so so swollen and in fact high bp high proteins in urnine...

jodie