OT: Problems with landowner, need advice

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Leaknits, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

Background: I own a trailer in a mobile home park and pay rent to the land owner for the space where my home is.

The park owner seems to think he can drop by whenever he wants to.

I've pointed out the "Please do not disturb me, I'm sleeping" note taped to my door and had the guy say "Oh yeah, I saw that but I didn't think you meant me."

I've explained several times I have a health problem that means I sleep at what he seems to think are odd times and his response is always "Oh no, I don't think so...you look okay, there's color in your face, you look healthy to me." I've given up trying to explain what my health issues are, since he absolutely knows (or thinks he does) more than I do about my own health.

Because the main door to my house is glass, he can see me if I don't hear him coming in time to go hide. And I hate having to hide like a little kid --- my gosh, I'm grown, can't I live without being bothered??

I've asked him to phone me first if he wants to do this dropping-in thing. He says "I don't know your phone number."

Me: "My number is in your office; if you can't find my file you could always ask your wife."

Him: "Oh, we're not married." Right. Like that has anything to do with the fact he is interrupting my peace & quiet!

A local friend says I should confront him in front of his partner, significant other, or whatever she is, and say again that I would prefer a phone call before anyone comes here. Friend then says if he doesn't do what I ask I can and I quote "always threaten to take him to court for harassment."

Uh huh. With whose $$ am I going to do this, and what in the world do I do if the park owner tells me I have to get out of here as a result of this court action threat??

Moving AGAIN is not an option. I hope this house is going to be my last; I do love it here aside from Mr Annoying.

Oops, almost left this out of this rant: Mr Annoying makes what I think are inappropriate remarks about what I choose to wear in my own home, he has banged on the door and awakened me: "Gee, don't you ever get dressed?" or:

"You can't keep your clothes on for five minutes, can you?
    "I AM dressed...and that remark was too personal."
    "You just don't have a sense of humor."
    "It wasn't funny, you woke me, what do you want?"
    "Oh, I just thought I'd drop by."

So. This isn't a real big problem, I realize that, but my last good nerve is getting tweaked by this guy. Any advice that doesn't mean spending $$ I don't have?

Thanks in advance!
    Lea.

2. Toga

Toga Member

scary. Your situation would make me nervous.

Is there anyway you can put a curtain or blind over that glass door? And then just ignore the knock?

I really don't have any serious advice but I do sympathize with your predicament.

Toga
  3. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

He sounds a little scary.

I would do as toga suggested. Tape a sheet, or newspaper up there temporarily if you must.

You could also amend your note to include his name. Also if he can see you when he knocks I'd make a motion to wave him away and turn over to face away from him. If all these fail, bluntly tell him he is only to come over if there is urgent trailer park business to discuss and if he drops by for any other reason you'll notify the authorities and do it.

I wonder, since I don't know you, if you are trying to be nice and not being assertive (or down right mean) enough.

Good Luck,
    Shar
  4. ckball

ckball New Member

I am no lawyer but I was a commercial property manager for several years.

Just because he owns the land does not give him the right to "stop by" anytime he feels like.

You have a right to privacy. Do you have a contract? If so, carefully review it. It should have a clause about your rights. If not, you still have rights.

Does he do this to his other renters? If not, then I would tell him again but very firmly that he is not to stop by unless he calls first and only for business reasons, then hand him your phone number.

If he is doing this to other women, especially if they are single, then I would have a chit chat with them and gang up on him so to speak.

Do you let him in and chit chat then he leaves or do you tell him your busy, tired, ect and do not want to be bothered.

I know renting is scary, you feel you must kiss the landlords behind or they can throw you out. That is not true.

This man sounds scary and if he does not "get it" I would write a letter and send it certified that you request him to stop coming to your home. If that fails and makes it worse or he threatens you in any way, buy or borrow a small recording device to record any conversations.

A land lord can not force you out as long as you pay your rent. Research tenants rights for your state. Good luck and do not let this freak force you to hide in your home. Carla
  5. aubrygreen

aubrygreen New Member

I do work in a mobile home park, and I know that in Oregon at least when tenants own the mobile home on the landlord's property, the tenant-landlord relationship is even more in the tenant's favor than in other renting situations. Landlord's *cannot* evict except for a few very specific violations, and even then it's not guaranteed that they'll be able to- and these are violations like if the tenant physically assaults someone in the park, or doesn't pay their rent for several months, or doesn't follow the park rules, deliberately, and flaunts more than 3 warnings in a six month period. Threatening court action is not grounds for eviction. So this guy doesn't have all that much in the way of power over you.

As far as landlords entering the rented premises, if I recall correctly that requires a 24-hour notice- and in Oregon that doesn't actually include the mobile home, just the grounds around it, for repairs. He has no right ever to enter your home.

I would start with some of the other suggestions that have been made, and send him a certified letter (keep a copy) stating how you feel about the situation and what you want done- him calling you before coming by. Perhaps include your state's laws on what notice is required. Is this guy the owner, or just the manager? You might be able to contact his boss if he has one, and get him fired as an alternative to going to court. If none of this works, you may have no choice but to either tolerate him or go to court. If so, a couple things might make you feel better: first, just threatening may be enough to make him stop, and second, if the judge rules in your favor, you don't have to pay a thing- he does.

I hope this works out for you, mobile home parks are small communities and nasty places for personal conflict. :/
  6. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Sound like Mr. PO has a crush on Miss Lea. Find something, even if you have to knit it, to put over your door so he can't see in and don't answer it if you don't want to. Even paper could be taped over the glass if need be. Eventually he'll get the message and if he doesn't you may have to have a short talk with his "partner". You know the kind: "Could you help me with a little problem I'm having?..." That, however, would be my last resort.

That's my 2 cents.

Later: And that may be all its worth as I came back to read what others said..... I guess I believe in peaceful means whenever possible but you've been given some great advice here if you want to get a tiny bit less peaceful.

Marta

[This Message was Edited on 10/11/2006]
  7. carebelle

carebelle New Member

You do not have to put up with this creep. I would do what eveyone else has said.I also would keep a record of when he comes over. I would not open my door to him.Every time he stops by call the office right after he leaves and say you did not open your door because you are sick and ask what they want .So the people in the office know hes come by again.

If he does this unanounced again call and report it to your local police .Tell them he scares you and ask if they can do a drive by your trailer and see if he is still hanging around.Also check to see if he is on the sex offeders list.
    You have the right to your private life do not let anyone mess with your head or your health.
    keep us informed.
  8. lptopcat

lptopcat New Member

Borders on harrassment, IMHO.

I agree with the other posters, send certified letter asking him to stop and call before he "just drops by".

If he doesn't have a business reason, he should not be bothering you at all.

Cover that glass dor with something. Don't answer the door even if he see you.

Sounds like a real creepy guy.

Good luck to you & keep us posted.

Theresa
  9. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

First off: toga, shar6710, ckball, aubrygreen, marta, carebelle, grg1988, lptopcat --- thank you all so very much for your replies! You're a great bunch, you are.

Being one of those people who like to be able to see outdoors, I really don't like the idea of HAVING to drape or paper the door, especially when pushed to do that by this buttinsky, but I'll do it.

The guy does vibe creepy; he has actually told me he walks through the park in the middle of the night (quoting now) "to make sure everything is okay." Shudder.

I don't know many of the people here, so have no idea if he is singling me out or if there are other women who live alone who are being subjected to this sort of nonsense.

There is no lease or contract; rats, all I have is one page of mobile home park rules and there's nothing there that says the park owner can't "drop by." Nothing says he can, either, so I'm taking that as a good thing.

I don't let him in, which seems to confuse him quite a bit. What I do is tell him he woke me or I'm busy, whichever applies,ask him what he wants, and remind him I've asked that he phone before coming here.

The certified letter and recording machine ideas are both great; I never thought of doing either of those things but will get on that right away.

Also will document when he "drops by" and his supposed reason(s) for doing that.

Downside: he has a in with the local sheriffs since he has told several of them they may help themselves to cans of soda he has in his garage fridge in exchange for cruising through the park a few times per day/night.

If he keeps bothering me, I don't have any problem at all with calling those sheriffs and lodging a complaint. Near as I can find out online he isn't on the sex offenders list but not all of such creeps register, yipes.

Thanks again, all, for the good advice!

Lea.

10. lil_angel1198

lil_angel1198 New Member

posted a really good site on here today or yesterday to find offenders.... that would be a good idea to check it out.

I would think that this would fall under tenant/landlord rules....landlord is not allowed to come over unless
    A. You call about a problem
    B. There is a problem reported,
    C.Once in Spring and once in Fall to be sure everything is as it should be....in your case with the lawn and land, ect.
    **They still have to do it at your convenience, and must call ahead for an appointment.

What reasons has he given to you for coming over unexpectedly?

Document why he comes and how often.

I also think you should put it in writing that he must pre arrange the visit.