OT- Question for anyone familiar with dog behaviors - Help!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by libra55, Dec 22, 2005.

1. libra55

libra55 New Member

My little Welsh Corgi, Dallas, is behaving very strangely the past two days. When I let him and his "sister" outside at night for their last walk, he refuses to come back in. He goes and hides either behind our pool pump, or burrows under a tree someplace. Then I have to go out and get him. We have quite a large yard so sometimes it takes a while to find him. When I do locate him, he is shaking like a leaf. He continues to tremble even when he is brought inside.

The yard is completely fenced with an 8-foot stockade so there's almost no chance of animals getting to him. I can't leave him outside overnight as we are in New England and it is freezing here. I don't know why he is acting like this. Do you think he is traumatized in some way?

The first night he did this he actually threw up on the floor when he came in the house. He seems to be scared of something, but I don't know what.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Michelle
  2. Empower

Empower New Member

How old is the pup?

As you said, obviously he is afraid of something in the house

What does he do during the day? Does he seem okay?
  3. libra55

libra55 New Member

He is actually 5 years old. I just call him my "little" boy because he is so low to the ground! He is fine during the day. It's just that last walk at night, he is fearful of returning to the house.

He is a sensitive dog and he does tend to have a nervous temperament (many Corgis do) but he has never not wanted to come in. Not even tempted by a biscuit. He literally hides and makes no sound, so I have to go find him.

Michelle
  4. Christinawensell

Christinawensell New Member

usually home during the day?

My puppy (actually she is three and she is about 60 pounds)did this a little while back. We could not figure it out at first then we found out that someone had been actually outside of the house I guess casing it out. They actually broke into the house about two weeks later and locked her in the back bathroom of our house.

I am not saying that this is what happened, but this is what spooked her. It took a little while for us to get her calmed down finally.

She also is very scared of brooms and the vaccum cleaner now. I don't know if they had a stick or what.

Did you just recently have any packages delivered from the postman and maybe he knocked loudly on the door and scared the puppy? Just trying to help.

I hope he gets better soon. My puppy and me are best of pals. You can tell when I did not get sleep or when I don't feel good just by looking at her. She stays up with me all night long. Every twist and turn I do she is right there and licks my hand like she is asking " You okay Mommy". I love my baby.

Good luck finding out. I will pray for you.

Have a Merry Christmas
    Christina

5. lin-z

lin-z New Member

My beautiful lil Aussie got very traumatized by fireworks this year. Now anytime she hears a loud bang (or anything similar) she shakes and cowers. We have construction going on in the neighborhood and i have to calm her down with every blow of the hammer...Pain but my Lucy is worth it...could it be something like that? good luck
  6. sdown

sdown New Member

Do you think he is allergic to something in the house? Maybe a floor cleaner, air freshener or something like that. I recall taking my Dad's dog for a walk and they had recently sprayed a pesticide on the city lawn and my dog had a convulsion. Id check around the house to see what you are using for cleaners and that sort of thing. Good luck. Another time I took the dog for a swim in a nearby river and he developed a rash. The vet said dont take him in that river again. Could have been duck mites or just plain simple pollution.
  7. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

He does sound extremely scared.

I would recommend taking him out on the leash the last time at night. Then you are with him and in control and he will be comforted by your presence and knowing that the "big dog" is going to keep him safe.

Often times it is just insecurity.

Try going out with him and let me know how it goes.

My golden is afraid of change. He is so funny! When I left the washer open one day he barked and barked at it. We could shut it and he'd stop, open it and he'd bark! I changed the calendar once and he would sit and growl at it and then start to bark. He barks and growls at the Christmas tree and wreath until he gets used to them being there, then does the same thing when they are gone! Silly boy!

Hugzz,
    Greenbean
  8. ScooterD

ScooterD New Member

Hi,
    I actually work as a canine behavior counselor and have two thoughts -
    1) he is sick or injured

2) an "unknown" could have frightened him the last time he was approaching the house to come inside - therefore he's afraid the noise/animal/sound/whatever will happen again when he nears that point. for example, a clients dog was terrified of chickens on their farm. what happened was within the first day or two they brought their dog home, it just so happened a truck backfired at the same time the new dog was approaching the chicken coop.

More than happy to continue if needed! (I didn't have enough time to read through the replies so I hope I'm not redundant in what you have learned so far!) I'll catch up a bit later tonight :>)