OT quitters.. what helped you the most to stop smoking

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by saphire27, Jun 9, 2006.

1. saphire27

saphire27 New Member

I really need to quit, My husband uses commit lozenges, but sneeks a smoke in a few times a day.

I haven't started to quit yet, i know i'll need help from my Dr. They have clinics to help, they inject you with stuff, i hear it makes you sick, & it's too expensive, is there anything my regular Dr can do to help me??Along with my will power??

2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

previous posts. Some people reported good results w/ patches.

I quit 6 weeks ago. It was pretty easy as I had a habit, but not a chemical addiction. Still, now and then, I think it would be nice to...
  3. ksp56

ksp56 Member

I used the gum. I still had to work at hit VERY hard. It is such an addiction. A tough one to kick.

When the gum didn't seem to work, I'd give myself a 'wait for 5 minutes' and see if i stil wanted one. I usually didn't, and if I did, found something else to occupy my time. I drank lots of water, lots! LOL

My Dad died three years ago tonight. He had cancer that started elsewhere, but went to his lungs, and then his brain. He and my Mom were big smokers. Although I don't blame his death on smoking. I did continue to smoke.

Three months later my Mom almost died from a horrid bout with pneumonia. Her smoking, was not letting her lungs heal as they needed to. She spent to weeks in the hospital with many breathing treatments, and has not been the same, health wise, since then.

She quit smoking and I so did I. I still might die of a tobacco related disease. I just wanted to be able to breathe.

It is hard. I never get on my bandwagon to friends who still smoke. I miss it myself. To me it was something I had to do for myself.

The American Lung society has much to offer when trying to quit. Much of it is free. I would contact the one closest to you or go to their online site.

Just wanting to quit is a very big step. If we try and it doesn't work, we just try again until it 'takes'.

I hope something works for you. It is so difficult. You will be in my thoughts. If you have any questions or want to 'talk', post to me. I'd be glad to 'talk' with you.

Hugs,

Kim
  4. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

If you really, really want to quit...go with the NicoCure patches. All natural, herbal and no nicotine.

It makes sense if you think about it. They have a web site you can check out.

No craziness, no weight gain, and the tiniest of cravings you barely even notice.

I was a heavy smoker and I can't believe how easy it was.

Nancy B.
  5. DorothyVivian

DorothyVivian New Member

Quitting smoking was the single best thing I ever did for myself! With the help of Nicotine Anonymous, I quit 20 years ago and have not had a single 'puff' since. Like most smokers, I'd quit a number of times previously, for months and even years, but simply could not 'stay quit'. Now, not only do I not crave smoking, I don't even think about it if I don't have a reminder---such as seeing your post.
    Nicotine Anonymous helped me to quit, and stay quit. And I don't have any special 'will power'--I'm very ordinary in the will power department.
    Going to meetings weekly not only gave me emotional support, which I found essential, but gave me the ongoing strength to maintain my commitment to quit. Also, I gained loads of information which helped me to understand the underlying pressures and inducements for me to smoke in the first place--and what were my 'triggers'to continue.
    Nicotine Anonymous meetings are available worldwide, but in some areas they are scarce or hard to find. However, you can 'Google' the words "Nicotine Anonymous World Service" and get lots of information about 'face-to-face'meetings as well as schedules of online meetings. (I prefer real-life meetings, 'face-to-face' meetings because in these meetings one's commitment to quit is reinforced. Still, if online meetings are the only ones you can 'attend'..these could give a great deal of support and information.
    Good luck! My whole-hearted encouragement to you and to every person here who is struggling with this difficult addiction! It was one of the hardest thing I've ever done and one of the best things I've ever done for myself! Good luck and my prayers are with you!
    With love, Dorothy
    [This Message was Edited on 06/09/2006]
  6. blessedmom2four

blessedmom2four New Member

started smoking again april 2005, i was so tired of being sick with bronchitis and breathing problems all the time, so around jan, 2006 i had a horrible stomach flu and was even too sick too smoke, i had gone 3 whole days with out a cigerate

so i put a patch on and havent smoked since, it was so hard but i was already sick enough with the FM i didnt need to add to it. I have gained about 2 pant sizes witch i need to work on losing...but i can breath alot easier and havent had a cough since
  7. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Fear.

And the nicotine gum. You can get a generic fairly reasonably. Would you believe that, until I ran out last winter, I still would occasionally chew a tiny bit?

Nicotine boosts serotonin. Too bad smoking is so bad for us and smells so awful on our hair and clothes.

Marta
  8. DorothyVivian

DorothyVivian New Member

After quitting smoking, I didn't start to gain weight until I became very ill with asthma and was prescribed oral prednisone. Then, no matter how careful I was counting calories and getting enough exercise I put on about 6 lbs. a year. Then when I was prescribed Singulaire to prevent asthma, I was 'tapered' off the prednisone and stopped gaining weight. I'm still overweight, but I believe it is mostly from the sedentary life as well as the reaction to prednisone. I am often unable to be active because of the constant pain I'm in. And I believe this pain makes it so hard for me to lose weight..not the fact that I no longer smoke. Attending the Nicotine Anonymous meetings further convinced me that gaining weight after stopping smoking is not necessarily certain for everyone who quits, because, over the years, I have met many people who quit heavy smoking after decades of smoking and never gained a pound. I was told by a doctor who attended these meetings that there is a high amount of sugar in each cigarette due to the way the tobacco is cured. Sugar and other sweet stuff, like honey, has been regularly used in curing tobacco to reduce the bitterness of the natural uncured tobacco taste. He said that there was the equivalent of 2 tsps. of sugar in each cigarette. I haven't been able to corroborate his statements in any of my research, but it may well be true. It makes sense to me and would account for why some people who are especially vulnerable to sugar might be drawn to sweets after quitting smoking and this might be partly responsible for some of us gaining weight after quitting smoking, while others don't.

Anyway--to all those considering quitting smoking: Best of luck..you'll be glad you did, and very proud of yourself, even if it was a struggle!
    With love, Dorothy
    [This Message was Edited on 06/10/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 06/10/2006]
  9. butterfly8

butterfly8 New Member

I used to smoke 60 a day - I could smoke at work - and had grown up in a household of smokers. I bought my first packet just after I turned 17 and I think I was addicted even before that - had been a passive smoker since the womb.!!!!!

When I was 35 I started to feel unwell and knew that I could not go to my doc. and just say, "I just don't feel well ..... but I do smoke 60 a day!" So I quit. Then I told the Doc. I was unwell - turned out I had endometriosis.

I used the nicotine chewing gum and quit cold turkey. I think that that is the only way to do it. But it can be scary because smoking is so often part of our persona and lifestyle.

However, I then had to wean myself off the nicotine chewing gum and onto ordinary chewing gum. Occasionally, I used to have nightmares about starting smoking again - but I have not had a cigarette in the last 19 years. I just wish I knew what I have done with all the money I have saved!

If you think you really need to quit, do it for yourself. I do think the least invasive methods are the best e.g., gum and patches. Good luck. You will not regret it.