OT: Racehorse "Barbaro"..

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by julieisfree05, May 21, 2006.

1. julieisfree05

julieisfree05 New Member

Has anyone else been following the story of Barbaro and his horrible broken leg?

I'm not much of a racing fan, but after reading the story behind Laura Hillenbrand's effort to write "Seabiscuit", reading the book and seeing the movie, this story is breaking my heart..

I keep thinking of the scene in the movie where Jeff Bridges approached SB's future trainer and asked him why he was trying to heal a horse that could never race again.

He replied, "You don't throw away a whole life just because it's banged up a little.."

That line STRUCK me, because I was so sick at the time, and had been through so much - but I was not willing to throw away "a whole life" just because I was "banged up"..

..and thank God, I never did..

I'm not expecting any responses to this..I just needed to vent about my sorrow, and how badly I feel about this beautiful animal. I only pray that the vets can save him, even if his racing days are over..

God Bless,

julie (is free!)

It wasn't, cowboys and ponies
    it was, horses and sin
    It wasn't, school boys and ladies
    it was, cow towns and sin.. - Radney Foster
  2. bluestanglady

bluestanglady New Member

I'm not a horserace fan but DH and I like to always watch to see if a horse in the running will win the Triple Crown. We were watching it as it happened yesterday. It was so sad. They kept replaying it and I had to turn my head. You could see the horse's ankle just flopping loosely around while the rider was trying to slow it down. It was heartbreaking. I know the surgery was supposed to be today, but I haven't heard of the outcome yet. So sad.
  3. julieisfree05

julieisfree05 New Member

As of now, the surgeons are saying that the damage is so severe they don't have much experience trying to fix it. Normally, a horse with such serious injuries would have been put down immediately.

After at least five hours of surgery, they are still not giving up! They are trying to repair what they can, and then see what happens..

The owners, trainer and jockey are absolutely devatstated, but I've heard several reports that the horse would have been put down immediately if the jockey had not stopped him right away.

I'm still following the news closely..

- julie (is free!)

These three remain
    faith, hope, and love
    but the greatest of these
    is love.. - Cor. 13
  4. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

will try to put him out to stud if he heal's.

hopefully that is true.

claudia
  5. julieisfree05

julieisfree05 New Member

Yahoo news just reported:

KENNETT SQUARE, Pa. - Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro came out of a day-long surgery Sunday to repair three broken bones in his right rear leg and "practically jogged back to the stall," the colt's surgeon said.

"At this moment he is very comfortable in the leg." said the vet!!

julie (is free!)

All I know is
    love can heal
    what nothin'
    else can heal.. - Radney Foster
  6. claudia2

claudia2 New Member

I watched the injury occur in shock with everyone else. It just struck me how one moment, the owner (and Barbaro's team) were on the top of the world. You could see the excitement and confidence on their faces. And in one instant, it all changed.

Just made me think, life can really surprise us.

It gives me comfort to think that Barbaro is getting the best care and treatment in the world. He is much loved.
  7. erfula1

erfula1 New Member

This broke my heart. I hope that the report that he came out of it is true.

Seabiscuit really touched me too. I have the collector's edition book. It was inspiring to me too cause they didn't give up on him or the jockey when they were supposed to be too injured to race again. What a comeback!!!

Even if this horse never races again I hope that he lives out a good life as a stud horse. I hate to see any animal suffer. I know that his owners are devistated.

Everyone post if you hear anything about him.
  8. erfula1

erfula1 New Member

By RICHARD ROSENBLATT, AP Racing Writer
    32 minutes ago

KENNETT SQUARE, Pa. - Barbaro underwent more than five hours of surgery Sunday to repair the rear leg bones he broke in the Preakness, calmly awoke from anesthesia and "practically jogged back to his stall" for something to eat.

But the Kentucky Derby winner still faces a 50-50 chance of survival.

Despite the successful procedure and signs that the strapping 3-year-old colt had made a huge first step on the road to recovery, Dr. Dean Richardson said Sunday that Barbaro's fate still came down to "a coin toss."

"He practically jogged back to his stall," Richardson said after the surgery at the University of Pennsylvania's New Bolton Center for Large Animals. "Right now he's very happy. He's eating, he's doing very good. But I've been doing this too long to know that day one is the end of things."

Barbaro sustained "life-threatening injuries" Saturday when he broke bones above and below his right rear ankle at the start of the Preakness Stakes. His surgery began around 1 p.m., but it wasn't until about eight hours later that Richardson and trainer Michael Matz emerged to hold a news briefing.

"From the last time I saw him to now was a big relief," said a visibly fatigued Matz. "They did an excellent job. It's just an amazing thing to see him walk in like that.

"I feel much more comfortable now. I feel at least he has a chance."

Unbeaten and a serious contender for the Triple Crown, Barbaro broke down Saturday only a few hundred yards into the 1 3-16-mile Preakness. The record crowd of 118,402 watched in shock as Barbaro veered sideways, his right leg flaring out grotesquely. Jockey Edgar Prado pulled the powerful colt to a halt, jumped off and awaited medical assistance.

9. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

That they have (hopefully) saved him but he NEEDS to be gelded!! Why pass on the genetics that produced those tragically weak legs???? This is a huge problem in race horses anyway - it should be against the law to use him for breeding. Just my opinion. We do so many unethical things just because we can get big $$$ out of it but when we are playing with the lives of other living beings we should do the right thing not the one that will make money.

Gretchen
  10. redtex

redtex New Member

you will see that the horse behind him clipped his hind leg.
  11. julieisfree05

julieisfree05 New Member

I don't think the problem with Barbaro was poor breeding..

..and I had an AKC Golden Retriever who came from a "puppy mill" and had three surgeries for hip dysplasia - DO NOT get me started on "in-breeding" for money!

I just read that Barbaro is expressing interest in the female horses near him! Sounds like he's doing well..<g>

- julie (is free!)

We'll raise up our glasses
    against evil forces
    Singing whiskey for my men
    and beer for my horses.... :)

- Toby Keith/Willie Nelson
  12. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I have mixed feelings about horse racing. I know how hard it is on the horses, but I do watch it. I do recall that one of the Derby horses was a lot younger than the rest. Was it, by chance, Barbaro?

Here is a web site that explains why so many races horses break down: www.equinestudies.org/knowledge_base/ranger.html

If you scroll most of the way down the page to “Futurities”, it give a brief history of Thoroughbred racing.
  13. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

yes I"am not able to watch the clip of his leg, but this morning on the news they had his owner and the man had tears in his eyes so I think Barbaro is in good hands.

having horses myself it just made my stomach sick when I saw it. has anyone seen Dreamer. its really a good movie my grandson and I watch it.
    If Barbaro can get well and they can use him for stud service he will pass on good colts and that will keep his bloodline going, who knows he may be one of the great producers. Sixtyslady.
  14. caroleye

caroleye New Member

My cousin raised race horses, and if you only knew what some of the things they put these poor animals through!! Running them way too early before they're ready, whipping them to move them out, etc., etc. The youngins often don't even make it to the races due to injuries.

Many don't have the "heart/motivation" to run but their owners push them anyway for the good ole buck. This so-called sport is just another kind of animal abuse in my mind. I can't stand to watch those races for fear of what might happen to these babies.

Sure they can be set out to pasture & retire with the chronic pain we all do. Just how fair is that, and does that justify putting them in that place to begin with?

I'm an animal lover to the nth degree, and if I could, I'd stop that sport in a heart beat!!

Blessings to all the wounded animals that humans have caused!!

LIGHT************carole
  15. julieisfree05

julieisfree05 New Member

I don't know much about horse racing and training, but I also have a VERY soft spot for animals that are abused.

I mentioned that we had a Golden Retriever from a "puppy mill". We bought him from a pet store in Beverly Hills and assumed we were getting a healthy animal.

I had no idea that those despicable places even existed until our puppy was diagnosed with "the worst case of hip dysplasia" our vet had ever seen in a four month old puppy. He also had evidence of a fractured pelvis on his FIRST x-rays. We think he was injured while being transported from Nebraska to CA. Most puppy mills are in the mid-west because "pets" are considered to be like farm animals and there are no special considerations in how the must be treated or transported.

Luckily, we have a GREAT vet (he's better than most "people" doctors I know!) and he was able to do a very simple surgery to fix his hips. He didn't have an "emotional" problems, and died at 14 from an enlarged heart - very appropriate, since he was the sweetest, most loving animal I've ever known..

julie (is free!)

Wild horses just stay wild
    and her heart is all I break.. - Garth
  16. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I worked on the race track for seven years as a groom. There are a lot of things that are wrong with the whole racing industry.

The largest races in the world, the Triple Crown, are geared to 3 year olds. That means that horses must be ready to race as soon as they turn 3 on January 1st. Training starts when they are very young, with a rider up when they are two.

(All thoroughbreds ages are counted from January 1 of the year they were born, for racing purposes, no matter when they were actually born. That means a May colt will be one on January 1st of the following year even though he is actually only 8 months old. A "two year old" can actually be much younger than two.)

Three year olds are not ready to be raced. Their knees have not even completely closed at the age of three. Two year old races should be banned.

Although most race horses are treated extremely well and receive the best in medical and nutritional care, there will always be some, especially on the small fair circut, that are mistreated and severly over raced.

It's all about money and greed will prevail.

I did hear on the radio this morning that Barbaro scratched his left ear with his left hind leg. That means he was able to put full weight on the injured right leg. That is a very good sign.

Horses, however, can be lost to so many things after this kind of an injury, even though the surgery was sucessful. Not just infection at the sight of the surgery, but pnemonia, serious problems with the other three legs due to excess strain, and several equine viruses which laid up horses are especially suceptible to.

Sorry this got so long, but you can see this is a subject near and dear to my heart. Although the precentage of race horses that have to be put down due to racing injuries is actually quite small, one is too many in my book!

Hugss
    Greenbean

17. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

This poor horse - orthopedic surgery is tough - he has so many screws and plates. I hope he defies everyone and makes it, but I don't want him to suffer either.

Here's the x-ray if you want to see it:
    http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=1756&e=3&u=/060522/ids_photos_sp/r3079804668.jpg

Hugs,
    Madame Curie
  18. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

Greenbean is rightI have mixed feeling about the race industry. Horses are not fully developed at 2 or even 3 years old. Many are mentaly broken. The luckiest Tbs are too slow and adopted and put to others uses as hunters and pleasure horses.

If you are interested there is a book called After the Finish Line by Bill Hiller. If you think a derby winner can't be sent to slaughter then check out the 1986 winner Ferdinand. He ebnded up sterile and in a slaughterhouse. The whole thing is sad.

But I am sure Barbaro will get the best of care. Many of these horses are treated like kings. I also heard a commentator say he may not be able to bread because he couldn't mount a mare. This person is totally wrong as artificial insimination is the norm.

Lynn
  19. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Racing TB's are not allowed to use artificial insemination. If he can't mount a mare he will be put out to pasture, babied, and still treated like a king!

When I was working on the track in Seattle, Longacres, Seattle Slew was brought in to do a special gallop around the track. It was a big money maker for a charity and there were lots of events planned around this gallop.

I was working for Johnny Longdon's son, Eric, and living in Johnny's barn (We lived in an extra tack room that had been fitted with a baseboard heater. I cooked on a hot plate and a toaster oven, kept the milk in a bucket of ice. Quite the high-life don't ya know! Better than when we were in California, we had a stall that had been fitted with a wooden floor. No heat, ceiling open to the roof, a double stall door that had been made to open as one door instead of a top and a bottom, you get the idea!) Slew was to be in the stall right outside our tack room.

He travelled with a groom, an exercise boy, a trainer, and two assistant trainers. His stall was cordoned off with yellow do not cross tape, the groom slept on a cot in front of the stall door, and we had 24 hour security guards while he was there.

The stall was knee deep with fresh straw and he had better food then we did! His groom spent hours with him, grooming him and talking to him. His tail had been allowed to grow out long enough to drag on the ground if he didn't hold it up. The groom spent a lot of time taking care of that tail! It laid on top of the straw in the stall.

He was beautiful, shining and healthy and it was wonderful to get to see him. Was probably the highlight of my career as a groom. We weren't allowed to take pictures or cross the tape. We did talk to the groom, but it was very clear that the horse was his life.

Hugzz
    Greenbean
  20. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I have been following this and feel so sorry for the Barbaro. I'm happy they did try to fix his leg, but they are saying now that he may not even be able to be a stallion.

I am happy the owners want to keep him alive no matter what if they can. It surely looks promising. I think horses and other animals can sense when their owners are giving up on them.

I hope Barbaro has a happy and long life.

Hugs,
    Faye

[ advertisement ]