OT - Read any good books lately?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by onedaymagpie, Aug 28, 2005.

1. onedaymagpie

onedaymagpie New Member

Anyone read any good novels lately that they would recommend? If so, please tell us about them.
    Thanks, Maggy
  2. onedaymagpie

onedaymagpie New Member

That's really ironic. I have only read one book (novel) in the last year (which I hate to admit it), but it was Da Vinci Code. I loved it, had so much fun reading it, was hoping to get back to more reading and wanted some good recommendations. Anything else you have enjoyed lately?
    Thanks!
    Maggy
  3. pepper

pepper New Member

The Da Vinci Code was a terrific book. I just finished reading "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time". It was excellent.

I have just discovered a new author, Harlan Coben. I read his book "Just One Look" and am looking forward to reading more of his books. The lady in the book store told me that if I liked the Da Vinci Code I would love his books. And I do.

Pepper
  4. brit_17759

brit_17759 New Member

Read the Da Vinci Code a few months ago and just finished reading his Angels and Demons. I really enjoyed both books. Another couple of writers I like are John Grisham and Maeve Binchy.

Hugs
    brit
  5. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

I like any mystery; am currently reading "Double Tap" by Steve Martini - a courtroom drama.

If you want a good LOL, read anything by Janet Evonovitch. My dh always gives me funny looks when I burst into laughter while reading her books.

I also enjoy Kathy Reichs. Same type of character as Patricia Cromwell, only newer and fresher. Forensic Antrhopoligist. Kathy Reichs' last book (can't remember the name) deals with a lot of the stuff as the DaVinci Code

Needless to say, I ALWAYS have a book going. If I ever loose my eyesight and couldn't read, I believe I would go insane.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/30/2005]
  6. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

"The Magic of Ordinary Days " by Ann Howard Creel .
    Loved every page and have just bought the movie ,
    a Hallmark production . This is beautifully written and
    a truly touching story .
  7. BxGirl

BxGirl New Member

I just finished a great book called "Three Junes" by Julia Glass. Wonderful story about a Scottish family!

Now I'm reading an historical novel by Philippa Gregory called "Earthly Joys" set in England during the reign of Charles I (1600's). She is a wonderful author who writes wonderful historical novels. She also wrote "The Other Boleyn Girl" about Anne Boleyn's sister (I haven't started it yet).

Give these a try!

BxGirl
  8. Lurlasgirl

Lurlasgirl New Member

I wish I could remember what they were!!!!

I tend to read by author ... in the past week, I've read the two most recent Mary Higgins Clark mysteries, the last in a science fiction series by Orson Scott Card, and the second in the John Sandford "Prey" series. Unfortunately, after I read them, it's like the names just evaporate...

Someone mentioned Maeve Binchy, another author I really enjoy, but haven't read anything recently - Tara Road was the last, I think.
  9. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

I started it back in May, I think ? lol.
    I am half way through it.
    I fall asleep reading or I get double vision, I am having trouble with my eye's thanks to another condition.

I get the Large Print Books, they are easier on my eye's, I have reading glasses but they don't work after awhile either, so the Large print works.

I found a great Thrift store, and they get a lot of New books, under $4.00 and in Large Print. So I have been stock piling for this winter, ;o)
    Sharonk
  10. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

hi all,

support a fellow fibromite and pick up a copy of my new novel 'tom brown saves the world' on amazon. unless you're easily offended. if you wouldn't appreciate scathing commentary on the intersection of organized religion, celebirty culture and rampant consumerism, you're better off with the new harry potter.

eddie
  11. rileyearl

rileyearl New Member

--especially the novels and stories about Rhoda. Her short story collections are wonderful, full of southern eccentricity and charm.

Francie
  12. onedaymagpie

onedaymagpie New Member

I am so excited about all your suggestions. Thank you. I am going to print this and start reading my way down the list. I really want to get back into reading instead of my current bad habit of always reaching for the TV remote, especially when I can't even find anything on worth watching, but watch anyway . . . not good.
    Big hugs, Maggy
  13. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I read at least 4 books a month. Sometimes more.

Loved the Harry Potter series.

Really into fantasy, like magic and dragons and such. I know my church doesn't approve, but I read 'em anyway!

Anything by Mercedes Lackey, but I think I've read everything she's written!

Hugzz,
    Greenbean
  14. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

She's not brand new, but new to me. Her name is Sujata Massey, and she writes murder mysteries. Her heroine is a Japanese-American young woman and the stories(so far - I'm on my third book of hers) take place in Japan. They're very interesting, I'm learning little bits about Japanese culture. And she's a pretty good writer to boot.

Another mystery writer who I like a lot is Nicci French. Hers are more psychological thrillers. She's very different, but very good.

Another writer I love is Marian Keyes. She's British or Irish, very funny, one of her books that I liked a lot is called "Last Chance Saloon".

A good thriller is "The Assassini" by Thomas Gifford, reminiscent a little of the Da Vinci Code, spilling church secrets. I was raised Catholic so find these books interesting. I don't know how much is true, but they are intriguing.

Mary
  15. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

Youre a writer! I am ordering your book! Is it your first?? Now I get your screen name duh!!

I love mysteries and funny books! I try to stay away from anything too depressing. Most recently I liked Dean Koontz the Taking and Sue Monk Kidds Mermaid chair.

Oldies but Goodies are Lonesome Dove reread several times, Run with the horseman by ferrol Sams. Funny coming of age story and anything by Fanny Flagg (Fried green tomatoes, Welcome to the world baby girl) for a good story with a sense of humor!

Happy reading! Lynn
  16. SoxFan

SoxFan New Member

James Patterson has a series revolving around a female homicide cop in San Francisco. They are entitled, "1st to Die", "2nd Chance", "3rd Degree", and "4th of July". Good stuff.

If you're a romantic, I'd recommend Nicholas Sparks. He wrote "The Notebook", "Message in a Bottle", "The Rescue", and many others.
  17. SoxFan

SoxFan New Member

I have read more books since becomming ill than I ever had in the years before (never slowed down long enough before I was forced to). My kids have seen me reading so much that they have picked up the habit as well. Even my 13 year old daughter, who used to HATE to read has read a ton of books this summer!!
    [This Message was Edited on 08/29/2005]
  18. jess

jess New Member

Her books are really interesting. they all involve a social issue and most often a trial. Some of my favorites are Salem Falls, Plain Truth, Vanishing Acts. Jess
  19. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

Two of my favorite authors are Sandra Dallas , and Kaye Gibbons .
    Kaye Gibbons is my very favorite . She writes southern style fiction that totally grabs my attention. My mother , my daughters , and I were smitten with " Charms For The Easy Life ". Sandra Dallas has written some memorable novels like " The Diary of Mattie Spencer "
    AND " Alice's Tulips " .

Some of my past favorites from the classics list :
    " To Kill A Mockingbird " ( I adore this one ! ) by Harper Lee

"Of Human Bondage " W. Somerset Maugham

" David Copperfield " Chas Dickens

" The Winds of War " and "War and Remembrance " by Herman
    Wouk

" Little House on the Prairie " series by Laura Ingalls Wilder I have read these many times as a girl and a mother to my children , and again recently . My mother read them while visiting me , for the first time and
    went through all of them in a week. They are not just for kids ... Fantastic stories that are pleasant escape
    and a great way to learn American history of pioneers .
  20. badluck

badluck New Member

I love fantasy and dragons too greenbean7, just about the only things I will read since I have enough "reality" everyday. A little escape is nice. Believe it or no, the Harry Potter series is a very nice, easy read. Ms Rowling's writing has matured noticably over the course of the series and you can really relax into it and just enjoy.

I love George R R Martin's "song of Fire and Ice" series. And the "Eye of the World" series from Robert Jordan is well constructed and much easier to read than Tolkein, but with the same level of development of the entire world. Plus, when you re-read the books, you find little hints that you missed on the first read. If you want to challenge your mind, then I would suggest Janny Wurts' series "the Wars of Light and Shadow". I'm a big fan of that one but it is not always an easy read.

My favorite, however, is Melanie Rawn. She has 2 trilogies about her "Sunrunners" and is finanly working on the third book in her "Exiles" series. These books are SUPERB and I re-read them about once a year. You come to love the characters and get very inviolved in their struggles. Hope you at least try one of these if you get a chance!!!