OT: Relief for Plantar Fasciitis...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kjfms, Jul 25, 2006.

1. kjfms

kjfms Member

I have noticed a lot of people here including myself suffer from plantar fasciitis.

In the past I used to answer a few of those posts and suggest soaking in hot water, Epsom's salts, and vinegar. It really works for me it is an old waitress trick.

I came across this study today about acetic acid helping plantar fasciitis.

Struck me funny we all know what acetic acid is...vinegar. Always nice to know I was right...LOL :) OK my sister was right she is the one who told me to try it.

I will have to call her and tell her about this-she will get such a kick out of it!

http://www.mercksource.com/pp/us/cns/cns_news_article.jspzQzidzEz667796

Thanks,

Karen
    [This Message was Edited on 09/26/2006]
  2. ckball

ckball New Member

My pain came on one day, lasted for 2, then I too a whole day off my feet and it is gone now.

I bought of soft, squissy rubber sandals so comfy- but no arch support. I spent 2 days in them doing housework, yard stuff and that is when the pain started.

I guess I really need the arch support-

Thanks for info -Carla
  3. kjfms

kjfms Member

Sounds like you over did it. Glad you are feeling better. Sorry you had to go through it.

I messed mine up when I worked on my feet for 8-12 hours at a time, went through a heck of a time. It still flares up from time to time but I have leaned to wear good shoes all of the time even at home. Physician told me to rest...LOL

Thanks,

Karen
  4. kjfms

kjfms Member

I just found it interesting that they did a study with acetic acid.

Thanks,

Karen
  5. kjfms

kjfms Member

6. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

Thank you for the info. I have severe pain in my feet. This is something I have not tried but I will.

Vinegar is great isn't it?
  7. msSusan

msSusan Member

I too have suffered from this for years and would like some relief. What measurements are you using for soaking?
  8. patriciatm

patriciatm New Member

I also suffer from this. I had seen the Podiatrist, have had cortisone shots in both feet because they got so bad. The doctor said to use ice on my feet. He also suggested the golf ball for massage on the feet. Roll your foot over the golf ball.
    Pat
    [This Message was Edited on 08/27/2006]
  9. kjfms

kjfms Member

for lonvingheart

Here it the site for the article:

http://www.mercksource.com/pp/us/cns/cns_news_article.jspzQzidzEz667796

Good luck,

Karen :)
  10. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

usually mild to moderate, but if i stand/walk too much ---whew does it flare up to severe!!!! One time it was so bad I had to crawl to the bathroom to avoid walking.

I have read recently that many people w pf need to strech their claves. My claves get really tight after even a brief walk, so i'm going to start streching.
  11. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

usually mild to moderate, but if i stand/walk too much ---whew does it flare up to severe!!!! One time it was so bad I had to crawl to the bathroom to avoid walking.

I have read recently that many people w pf need to strech their claves. My claves get really tight after even a brief walk, so i'm going to start streching.
  12. Kayleen

Kayleen New Member

I thought I had plantar faciatis...but I think it's the FMS. I bought all the inserts...all the shoes...had horrible pain for about the same time my pain started in my back and neck. I had received cortisone injections in my feet for about two years.

Finally I figured out that when I got the injections all my other problems cleared up too. Once they found out I had FMS...no more cortisone injections.

However, two months ago I received novacaine shots in my back and hips...the problems with my feet went away. I can now walk through the mall...Hoorah!!!!
  13. victoria

victoria New Member

I found a pair of sandals, by the brand name Mephisto, that had a footbed that was highly contoured ,with high arches etc...

I have really high arches, I was hardly able to walk because it felt like the whole bottom of my foot was spasmed. After a couple of weeks of wearing these sandals, all the pain was gone.

I also now wear a milder version of the old Earth shoes, without such a slant... they came out with a newer version that doesn't have such a negative heel.

I thought I'd try it since it made sense to stretch gently the back of the achilles etc and it has an arch in it AND it takes all the stress off the metatarsal.

I don't wear them for hours at a time, just a couple -- or I thinnk in the beginning at least I'd have had a lot of trouble;

I do think it has helped as well, altho I've been doing that for only the last 5 months or so... anyway, no pain for past 3 years, just can't find another pair of mephisto sandals with the footbed AND a style I like :(( and my old ones are really wearing out!!!! Dang!!!!

all the best,
    Victoria

btw - vinegar is "acetic" acid...

14. kjfms

kjfms Member

Thanks to all who responded I was just bumping this up so that lovingheart could get the website...LOL

I didn't really expect responses on such an old post.

Hi bigmama2 -- Sorry you have PF and very glad you have something that works for you.

Hi kayleen -- I am happy that you found the answer to your problem and that you can go to the mall -- Hooray!!!

Victoria -- I am so happy that you found a great pair of sandals that work for you and that you pain is gone. I am glad too that you wear a more mild version of the Earth shoe -- I still have a pair from 1978 (I don't wear them I just saved my favorite pair...LOL)

Yes it sounds like this shoe would take pressure off the tarsals and phalanges as well and possibly even lighten the "load" [so to speak] on the calcaneus too.

Now do you find that in gently stretching your calcaneal tendon that you also get relief in your soleus and gastrocnemius as well?

Thank you so much for point my error in spelling -- I must have typed that quickly...LOL

I am happy that your feet have quit bothering you and good luck in find those sandals.

Thanks again all,

15. victoria

victoria New Member

I think it has helped overall - I always have a tendency to hyperextend my knees, altho I've worked a lifetime at being aware of it and correcting myself - and I don't do it with the 'mild' version of Earth shoes for some reason...

but find I do need to change shoes after a few hours... I look at them as being 'therapy' lol!

best,
    Victoria

16. kjfms

kjfms Member

So glad your "therapy" is working for you.

Thanks,