OT--Saving Money On Holiday Gifts

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

For anyone who shops on Friday after Thanksgiving: You don't have to wait to see what will be on sale for many stores. You can go to www.bf2004.net and actually view the ads now for many stores. I just looked at everything which will be on sale for Wal-Mart and Toys-R-Us.

There are several other websites which have these ads, but I haven't visited them yet: www.keepcash/blackfriday; www.fatwallet.com/t/18/515161; http://blackfriday.gottadeal.com; and www.dealtaker.com.

Some people buy the items in advance and go to the customer service to get a price adjustment on Fri., but some stores will do this and some will not. Some people buy the items in advance, buy the item again on Black Friday (what retailers call the Fri. after Thanksgiving because this one day usually puts them in the black) and return one of them with the more expensive price for a credit or cash back.

If in doubt about price adjustment policies, check with the stores. Some stores will adjust prices to match other stores ads.

Knowing in advance saves scouring the papers on Fri. morning and rushing to the store. Wal-Mart is especially good for this if there is a 24-hour store in your area.

Hope this helps save ya'll a few bucks.

Love, Mikie
  2. Bambi

Bambi New Member

one great lady! Thank you! Sincerely, Bambi
  3. sofy

sofy New Member

Another great site for promotional codes for various discounts at all kinds of web stores is
    http://www.currentcodes.com/

ps: Im assuming the rules for not posting web addys. has changed. Since Mikie posted a couple I figured it must be ok to do so now so Im sharing another way to maybe save a buck or a nickle.

Happy shopping!!!!!!!!!
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

They are not commercial websites which compete with ProHealth and not where a member is trying to profit.

Really, the only ones we should be posting are ones where nothing is sold, websites which provide info for us.

It is OK to mention the names of websites, but the URL's should only be give for ones which are info oriented.

I know how hard it is for so many of us to shop and I also know that these illnesses bring financial problems with them. Just knowing what is going to be on sale the cheapest is a huge advantage for us. If we can get family members to do the shopping, so much the better. If we need someing for our spouse, perhaps a child, sibling, or in-law can get it for us. Our spouse or someone else may be able to do the rest. I really think going out on Black Fri. is madness for anyone with our illnesses, but some really do enjoy it.

So many of us are night owls that shopping at midnight at Wally World might be fun. Just be careful. Also, staying away from crowds can help prevent getting viruses. I'm getting over one now. The fever broke a couple of days ago, thank God and thank all you members who sent prayers and good wishes.

We have another storm which is picking up speed in Mexico and is supposed to bounce off like a sling shot, pick up speed, and hit FL, possibly like Wilma did. For now, it doesn't appear that it will be as strong, but I take nothing for granted with these storms. I have a call in to my kids because I'm supposed to leave Tues. for Atlanta. If this storm hits on Mon., I may not be able to get out. Even leaving on Sun., I may encounter some heavy traffic leaving the area. Tomorrow is decision day. But, I digress...

Love, Mikie
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

6. suzetal

suzetal New Member

Even if the ad says 6:00am to 11:00 am.They will leave the sale price till they run out of the Item...I was a manager for them.

Check your state law .Here in RI if you buy an item that goes on sale within 30 days if you have your receipt they will give you the difference.

Sue
  7. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

the addresses of the stores in UK Mikie, I could save a whole lot of money.

love
    Rosie
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This storm is not predicted to be nearly as strong as Wilma but still, I don't want to be driving through the rain and what wind it does bring with it. I think everyone has power now but I'm sure that some of the repairs were stop-gap measures and vulnerable to another storm. Many trees were weakened and it wouldn't take much to blow them over.

No, I haven't found a house yet. I'm checking Athens as well as Rome. It is almost three times as large, has more selection of homes, and real estate is appreciating at almost three times the rate as in Rome. Still, Rome is a beautiful little town in the hills and I love it. This may turn out to be a difficult decision. There are small towns around Savannah too which only complicates things.

Once I get the town narrowed down, I will get more serious about a house. Actually, if I find a house I really love, I may put a contract on it. This condo is within a week of being ready to show.

Again, Happy Holidays to everyone.

Love, Mikie
  9. victoria

victoria New Member

Hi Mikie,

saw where you posted you were considering Athens?

LOL, and I'm trying to move from here! BUT - If you come here, I'd love to take you out to lunch? and I can possibly give you some basic info after living around here since 1978.

Trying to figure out tho how to let you have my contact info - any suggestions?

All the best,
    Victoria
  10. silky17

silky17 New Member

I was just thinking that the other day. I said to myself.......I wish there was a way to find out what would go on sell after thanksgiving.
    So........ Thank You!

Debbie :)
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm in Atlanta and my daughter and I are going up to Athens today. We will just be scoping things out. If I don't think I would like it, I won't pursue it any further. I really liked Rome but just want to check my options. Athens sounds nice too. I'll let you know what happens and thank you for being so sweet. I'm cold and my allergies are acting up, so FL may continue to be home for me :)

Love, Mikie
  12. victoria

victoria New Member

There's a wide range in prices available for condos to houses, make sure you see the range.......... and take some time to walk around the downtown area! "The Last Resort" is good for lunch, as is "The Grit" (vegetarian).

Have fun, and hope you're feeling better soon!

all the best,
    Victoria
    [This Message was Edited on 11/22/2005]
  13. victoria

victoria New Member

and really curious to see what you thought of Athens, Mikie...

don't know if this is a good thing or bad, but CNN/Money has rated as #5 place to retire in the country...

all the best,
    Victoria