OT: See 260 yr old ship picture in my profile

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lenasvn, Sep 24, 2006.

1. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

This ship comes from my hometown Gothenburg in Sweden. She sailed to East China this past summer as she did 260 years ago! There are tons of boats cheering on as she takes off. There is a lot of info on this ship's current trail and the history, videos of the preparations, etc.

here's a link in English for you who love old ships:
    http://www.soic.se/engelska/inenglish.4.1e228bcf782be0db97fff408.html

I MISS HOOOOMMEEE!! Baaawwwwlll,,,LOL!

hugs!
    [This Message was Edited on 09/24/2006]
  2. findmind

findmind New Member

Oh my gosh, isn't she beautiful? I can't believe she's making that trip. It must have taken a lot of money to refit her for the trip! who paid for that? Who's sailing her?

I get so motion sick, but I'd love to be on that voyage.

Thanks for the dream....

findmind
  3. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Oh, Volvo among others financed the restoration. There is a navy captain running the crew. The crew is a bunch of volunteers that have been sailing alot and have been trained on the ship. Half of them are women! I would LOVE to be on that ship! Follow the link I provided,lots of info on that page. The ship still have places to go, I think she just left Africa.
  4. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I didn't know you were from Sweden.
    That's a beautiful ship. I'd love to be on that ship, too! 50% women, did you say?! LOL

Tomorrow, I will check out the link.

For landlubbers, I was just reading about a trail that goes through the Lapp Gate (I think that's what it was called) in national parks in the north of Sweden, above the Arctic Circle. Kerguelen, I think the name was, but I'm not sure. It's supposed to be one of the finest treks in the world. Have you ever been up there?

Much thanks for posting this.

Ken
    [This Message was Edited on 09/24/2006]
  5. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

I've never been up in that area, although I always wanted to. Especially after getting to know a very special man, a Inuit medecine man! I met him in Oslo, he had moved down there from the border of Norway into Sweden to teach people about his ways and help people healing within.

He giggled about tourist groups he sometimes guided from different parts of the world. They apparently had no idea they were going to live traditional in every sense. They came smelling of perfumes, had suitcases and portfolios.

They were going to hike thru the wilderness for miles! They came to the timberlodges (fancy, could have been a Kota (the same thing as plains indians tipi's)with no running water or electricity! Oh, my, this was "terrible" they howled!

"You guys wanted to experience the wild, now, what exacly did you think that meant?" he asked.

They ate dried reindeer meat (superb, and VERY nutricious), and drank fine spring water with it. Some nice roots and other cook-ups he had made. He enjoyed bringing them back to reality as he put it and didn't mind the questions of where the 5 star hotels were.

A sweet story!

I spent most of my time in the southern part of Sweden, my grandpoo was a fisherman, I grew up pulling nets, eating fresh fish in the summers, and lived the big Gothenburg citylife during the winters. lots of wilderness all over the country,moose crossing the streets on your way to school.