OT: Shoes for walking, what has worked for you?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by KateMac329, Apr 11, 2006.

1. KateMac329

KateMac329 New Member

Hi,
    I am getting out tomorrow and would like to buy a good pair of walking shoes.

What has worked for you? Need some good suggestions!

(((HUGS)))

kate
  2. crdmkr2004

crdmkr2004 New Member

I have found that New Balance Running shoes and Berkenstock Sandals to be the best. They both have arch support and help make foot problems a little easier to handle. The Berkenstocks take a few days to get used to but they have improved my ability to walk more than I could before. I love them. I used to buy the Walmart knock off too but I love my Berk's. These have both been suggested by the foot doctor. I also have orthotics to wear in my Dr. Scholl's loafers.
    Hope this helps
    Sandy
  3. matthewson

matthewson New Member

I buy them at a place called DSW shoe warehouse. Don't know if it is a national chain or not. I have seen them online also. I get the ones with the velcro straps. Not the most lovely looking shoe, but very comfortable. They are the only ones I can wear. They are only $30.00 at that particular store. So, they aren't that expensive if you can find them at a discount store.

Take care, Sally
  4. poodlemommy

poodlemommy New Member

Im off to Greece for 2 weeks in May. So just bought some really nice running shoes that are leather and dressy looking. They are made by ecco. I bought them at Walking on a Cloud store. They were $160 canadian and then tax but worth every penny. They are so comfortable and offer excellent support. Walking on a Cloud always has some really good shoes. I buy most of what I have from there.
    hugs poodlemum
  5. shelbo

shelbo New Member

but I got a flat leather pair from there...like walking on air-filled cushions! HTH, Shelbo :)
  6. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Great support and comfort. Get the top of the line....about $130.00....or may find them cheaper than in our little area. Very good shoes. Last a long time.

I have Rockport walking shoes, and I don't like them nearly as well. My husband has some NikeAir...he loves them, also. Guess it's just what feels better on your foot.

Hope you and Lannon have many fine hours outside. Children love to be outside.

Hugs,
    Sue

PS I hate Birkenstocks! I think I'm in a very small minority, but they are killers for me. But, as you can see, most think they are great. You will have to decide for yourself. You certainly have gotten a bunch of options. I've been reading them to see what else is on the market. A good post. Thanks for starting it.

[This Message was Edited on 04/12/2006]
  7. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

I have Answer2 Orthopedic Sneakers with carbon-fiber orthotic plates inserted.

Got them at Hanger Prosthetics and Orthotics. www.hanger.com
    Cost 65 for the sneakers and 50 dollars per plate (pricey, but I can remove the plates and put them in other shoes as well).

Next time I'll only have to replace the sneakers when they wear out.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie
  8. kdeenak

kdeenak New Member

I like Ecco (I had some tennis shoes, they were great, I wore them out), New Balance is also great. So are Birkenstocks. The Birks take a little time to break in, but they are awesome. You can get them cheaper on QVC or HSN, and they have cute ones too! :)

Hugs,

Deena
  9. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

you need to have some with great support, but very bendable soles...i have some w/gel insoles...and i bought dr. sholh's orthodics for my shoes....

if you are goign to wear heals they have insoles for those as well some clear color one...

i thought these were cheaper thean the $400 ones that the podiatrist wanted to charge me and medicare doesn't cover them...

ask the shoe person on what you want ans what the best ones are...not neccessariltyis the most expensive ones...

jodie
  10. puggymom

puggymom New Member

I keep hearing about Crocs and how great they are for your feet and people with back problems are saying how great they feel. Anyone here try crocs. THey aren't the prettiest shoe, but at this point comfort is taking more importance than fashion.
  11. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I never liked the New Balance walking shoes, but then I have very big feet.

I have had very good luck with the New Balance Cross Training shoes. I have a pair and I will order another one from Penney's catalog. I wear size 12, so I have to order them.

Hugs to you and Landon,
    Faye
  12. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Crocs are super comfy, but not much in the support department. They are like wearing a pair of big fuzzy house slippers. I really like them, but again, not much support wise. I can't wear them every day. They are kind of a loose fit, too, so sometimes I trip on them if I'm dragging my feet that day. But mega comfy.

For serious walking around, I'd go for something with good arch support. If your current tennis shoes fit well and you just need more support, try Superfeet. They are shoe inserts. There are several different levels of support, depending on which color you buy. I found them at REI, but I know they are around at other stores, too. You can do a Google search to see what they look like.
  13. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

See my other thread about them!

Forebearance
  14. BethM

BethM New Member

I just bought a pair of Montrail walking shoes. they are expensive, but I decided I need them. My cousin, who also has FMS and back and foot problems, has had a good reduction in pain levels by wearing the Montrails.

I've only had them a couple of days, but they have good support and good heel stability. I walked quite a bit today with no back pain.

I bought them at REI.

I buy Clark's walking sandals, go to one of their outlet stores.

good luck, happy shopping!

Beth.
  15. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I wear black Reebok walking shoes. I can put my orthotics in them (you may want a Scholl's gel insert) and I'm back to walking again! ( I had foot surgery last Dec. and again in Jan. so it is so nice to get out again!) Take care, Terri
  16. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I am very flat footed along with all the other foot discomforts. My rheumatologist said if I buy new balance I wouldn't need to go to a podiatrist.

It's worked so far. Unfortunately, everything else seems to hurt when I walk.

Eileen

17. Andrea4

Andrea4 New Member

I can't wear anything but Dr. Scholls here.
  18. fowlerfab522

fowlerfab522 New Member

I have had the best luck with a brand called Earth and Dansko. I love my Birkenstock sandals also.

[This Message was Edited on 04/12/2006]
  19. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

katemac329:
    I use 'The Walking Company'. They are in some malls and are online.

nyrofan
  20. bigmh

bigmh New Member

Are important! I found a running store in Seattle that will fit shoes to your feet. They watch you walk, ask you what you are going to be doing (walking, running, etc), and then recommend shoes. I currently have Adidas and love them. Maybe you can find a similar store there.

I also love Munro shoes (Nordstrom). I can wear them the first day all day even when they are new. Also Birkenstocks and Franco Sarto.

Blessings, Ann

PS Cute baby!!!