OT Sister and Breast Cancer

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Empower, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Empower

Empower New Member

I had posted a couple of weeks ago about my sister needing a breast biopsy

Well, it turns out she has DCIS and is precancerous? Must have surgery, and radiation

We are all pretty upset about this

I am still confused whether it is cancer now, or just precancerous

She had calcifications
  2. louiesgirl2

louiesgirl2 New Member

I will pray the Lord gives you all the strength you need.

Google the DCIS and it may give you more information
  3. sascha

sascha Member

a long time ago. pre-cancerous is not cancerous, and the fact that it is caught so early sounds very good. my treatment was hormone therapy. i also put myself on macro-biotic diet. my condition resolved itself and my next test was normal.

good luck- i know it's so scary when it's your sister- Sascha
  4. pam_d

pam_d New Member

My Mom had this type of breast condition, DCIS. There is a question whether this type is classified as precancerous, or cancerous. Doctors do take it seriously, and do often use surgery then radiation. I have a co-worker with this type, also, she's going through the exact same treatment they've recommended for your sister.

In my Mom's case, she opted for a mastectomy; she didn't have a lump (so no lumpectomy possible), she had a discharge from one of her nipples. Because the surgery was radical, she was told she did not need radiation afterward.

I'm happy to say that was 13 years ago, and she's had no recurrence, or even a "scare". I think the outlook is very good for this type of breast cancer.

I know how devastating that "cancer" word can be, had my own bout with a different type of cancer earlier this year. Nothing prepares you for hearing that.

Keep being supportive and positive for her! Family and friend support makes a world of difference.

Hope this helps.

(((Hugs)))
    Pam