OT So Upset Today

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PVLady, Oct 1, 2006.

1. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I was at a McDonalds/gas station today getting my daily cheeseburger. As I drove in I saw a man leaning against his car looking strange.

After driving through to get my burger, I swung back around to see if he was still there. Yes, he was, in fact when I said "hey mister, are you ok?" he could not even answer. I then noticed he was dripping in perspiration and holding his left arm.

I had my cell phone and called 911. The paramedics told me to ask him to sit down and to stay with him until they arrived, and if he stopped breathing, to call them again.

The rescue arrived within 5 minutes. In that time I tried to get others to come and help be with him. There was only one lady who said she was a nurse who stepped up, then she left saying she did not want to get sued.

I was so afraid and upset. I don't know CPR and if I did don't know if I could do it. There were people all around and it was so clear this man was really sick, and absolutely no one would help.

Even the owners of the service station were reluctant to come out. The man looked to be around 50 and was driving a late model Mercedes.

I want to know what is wrong with people? It is nice to know they will just ignore someone and let them drop dead for fear of getting involved.

After the paramedics arrived and I left and could not stop crying. I was sobbing and so upset. I guess it is my illness that makes me so sensitive.

I made the mistake of calling my husband which I should not have done. He was upset because of me crying.

I wish I was stronger and not sick. Its times like this I realize how weak I am. I sure hope I am better one day.

2. Roseblossom

Roseblossom Member

I'm with Prickles & Fight - you did great, hon!

It is because of you that he got the immediate emergency care that he needed. You probably saved his life, you brave girl!

Sure it was scary and upsetting, but you did what was needed right then and there - that's true courage.

There's nothing odd about you being distressed by this - in fact, I'd be surprised if you weren't.

You go ahead and cry all you need to, my dear, and treat yourself gently to recover from the trauma you withstood in order to help a fellow human being.

And then take a deep breath and start thinking about what an great thing you did. Yeah, you :)

I'm proud of you; and really happy that there are people like you in this world!

Take care,

Roseblossom
  3. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Thanks everyone, I feel better now. I love what you said to me, thanks...
  4. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I had a feeling others here would have also been upset. After I left the scene I was driving down the street just boo hooing away.

I can't take even that little amount of stress, but at the same time,I can't turn my back.

I just wonder what kind of world this is, where people see something like this and pretend they don't.

Once I was at the airport and some older fella fells down the escalators and was unconscious at the foot of the escalator - head bleeding.

People were just stepping over the poor man and walking on.

Sometimes I would like to go live like a hermit in the country. I would learn to oil paint and do needlework each day. Maybe pick some flowers.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/02/2006]
  5. blueski31717

blueski31717 New Member

You did good. As for the nurse (I am too) It wouldn't of mattered threat of sueing to me I would of done what I had too also. By the way there is a thing out now it is called the good sameratin (sp) law where if you act in good faith I don't think you can be sued. Any way I don't have anything lol

they can have my bills though...

Years ago in Baltimore MD I was working as a CNA . I was walking to work (3-11 shift) and I saw a man on the sidewalk laying down face first groaning. I noticed his head was bleeding. I ran out in middle of traffic stopped someone and asked them to call 911. No one would stop before I got there. Well come to find out he was one of my residents of nursing home where I worked.

He did survive and thanked me later.

Do you know the condition of the man? I hope he made it and thanks to you he probably did. You might just follow up and find out how he is? I bet it would make feel so much better knowing he made it because of you. He also might want to thank you..I know If it was me I would send you roses saving my life....

Feel better ,you cannot control the ingnorance of others. Feel good you at least cared.
  6. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

That was the most kind unselfish random act of kindness I have heard of in a long time.

What you did was so unselfish and so kind. A random act of kindness. You took the time to notice that there was something wrong with this man and offed him help. Although you say you didn't know CPR if it had become nessary the paramedics would have helped you threw it.

What a angel you are to do this for a stranger, or was he ? We all should do as you did today. "To unto others as you would have done unto you." I Know that if this had been you I think you would want someone to help you get the help you needed.

I am sorry that there were no others that were willing to help this man as you did. Life would be so much better if we did follow the gloden rule all the time.

HUGS,
    Rosemarie

May the lord bless and keep you this day and for many more.

7. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Sounds like he was having a heart attack, and you saved his life.
  8. Busyknitter2

Busyknitter2 New Member

You are a very kind and caring person. Lucky for the man that you did go by or he would not have made it.

My husband and I where going into Kroger one day and it was raining. A young girl came out and slipped and fell hard, we went to her and she was holding her ankle and crying. We asked her if she was ok and another woman did come up and ask if she should get some more help. We said yes and "finally" a store employee came out. She said that she wanted to get out of the road. My husband asked if he could help her, she tried to stand up and could but no weight on her ankle. My husband is holding her up with her head on his shoulder. The employee says what should I do. My husband said go get a wheel chair. He did and the manager came out as they where pushing her inside the store. He did not want them to take her all the way in the store. My husband asked has anyone called an ambulance.

By this time the poor girls ankle was very swollen and you could tell where it was broken. The manager said do I need to call. They did finally call.

The poor girl kept saying I need a phone to call my husband. I finally handed her my cell phone. When we left the manager was outside taking pictures.

A nurse that we know asked what was wrong with her. She had seen everything and would not stop and help.

I used to be first aid certified and was told if you asked if you could help and they stated yes that you good not be sued due to the good samartian law.

Lucky for that man that you where in the right place at the right time.
  9. Marta608

Marta608 Member

As Carebelle told me rightfully not long ago: STOP! You probably saved that man's life! Give yourself credit for being so caring and willing to help.

Yes, we get easily upset but so what? I have chills just thinking that you may have been put there, right at that spot, just to do what you did. I don't know why other people are so unwilling to put themselves out there - well, yes, I actually do; they're afraid, but no matter.

You did good!!!! If anything like that ever happens to me, I hope someone like you will be there, and if I'm ever in the position that you were, I hope I'm as quick to respond.

Marta
  10. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

I agree, you are a hero!

Many years ago my grandfather was walking and had a stroke . He was practicallly lying in the gutter but it was ages before anyone stopped to see if they could help.
    He died.

Wish you had been there to help him.
  11. jens2angels

jens2angels New Member

(((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))))
    Thank you for helping that poor man! I am sure you helping him meant more than you will ever possible know!

As for the nurse, she is one worthless human being, what kind of nurse would ever walk away from a person who is obviously seriously ill and needs immediate medical attention. That's just rediculous. I'm not even a nurse yet and I would never in a million years ever do that, let alone be afraid of getting sued because I lent a helping hand!

I do hope the guy turned out ok, I'm sure the help you gave him in getting him an ambulance ASAP meant the difference between life and death with him.

God bless you, I'm quite sure you have earned a spot in the good book for that one.
  12. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

I am very proud of you...yet it is scary because ever person there should have done the same thing as you.

It is sad that the world has changed so much. I'm thankful that there are still a few "good souls" like you that will still do the right thing.

I have no doubt that you were placed there for a reason.

13. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

You did a wonderful thing for that man. You could have just kept going, but you didn't. You cared enough for another human being to stop what you were doing and put him first. You earned your wings today!!!

All that fear and stress had to be released so it is good that you cried. I think that having these illnesses makes us more compassionate towards others. It is very sad that people don't want to get involved....very, very sad.

Lolalee
  14. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

PV Lady:

You did a good job: the best you could. You helped someone in need and you can feel good about that.

It is true that emotions sometimes well up after an incident instead of during. It is normal.

I hope you feel better now.

nyrofan
  15. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I just read your post .You are a Wonderful person !
    You did a really great thing helping this man. I sure hope you are around if I'm ever alone and need help.

God gives us Strength when we need it! What a good example you are.
  16. marsupialmama

marsupialmama New Member

I just read your post and want to congratulate you. You did the right thing.

Shame on the people who didn;t help, especially those with medical knowledge.

The world needs us sensitive folk, even though it is hard for us at times. Imagine the alternative. No, perhaps not...

I hope the guy is o.k.

If you need reassurance, check out the Toronto Star newspaper and look at their "Acts of Kindness" feature. It's on the internet. It's really heartwarming.
  17. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Dear PV Lady:

You are a hero, and did well. You obviously care, and that is something that many of us are afraid to show, as we feel as if we might be targeted.

I have posted about my mother's heart attack. She was getting into her car to pick up my daughter and take her to school, when she had a sudden and incapacitating heart attack. Fortunately, she was waving to 2 neighbors as she was opening her car, and they saw her fall. They rushed to her and did CPR, she had no pulse and was not breathing when they reached her. Someone called 911, and they kept doing CPR until the paramedics arrived. I am happy to report that she is okay, and while she has had some tough health issues these past 2 and a half years, my 7 year old daughter still has her grandmother.

So, from all of us. Thanks so much for taking the time to care. You are now his angel here on earth.

{{{HUGS}}}

Ingrid
  18. mariee

mariee Member

So glad you were there. You were the man's angel.
    Did the paramedics get your name? You might check back w. the paramedics to see how the man is doing. He might inquire who is "angel" is...
    Tears come easily to me too, nowadays...years ago, I had no feelings. I would rather be emotional than not have any feelings. That deadness inside was horrible.
    Blessings.
    Treat yourself well.
    Marie

19. day2day

day2day Member

I read your story and I have much admiration for you and am very proud to know you!!!

You handled your self in the best way you knew how. Once upon a time people were not afraid of being sued, nor would they pass you on the street if you were in distress.

The fact that you were shaken and cried just shows that you still have compassion, a commodity that is becoming rare.

You embrace the very things I am trying to teach my 8 year old. Ask yourself this question, if it were you who were in distress the way that man was how would you want to be treated? That is something most people today lose sight of.

human kindness and compassion will never go out of style or grow old in my book.

day2day
    [This Message was Edited on 10/04/2006]
  20. littlebrownwren

littlebrownwren New Member

Honey, look at it this way. Maybe God put you there in that place at that precise time, to help that man because he knew no one else would do it.

My hats off to you. You did well.

Wren
    [This Message was Edited on 10/21/2006]