(OT, sort of) Advice on possible relocation to New England

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bpmwriter, May 21, 2006.

1. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

I've been living with my mother for about a year and half and looking to regain my independence in the next 6 months or so. I have great chance to start new and my utopia is a super-liberal, gay-friendly community full of artists and writers, great public transportation (I want to get rid of my car!) and relatively close to nature. Specifically, I'll be spending some time in Provincetown and I'm wondering if anyone has the inside scoop on the job market there (entirely seasonal?) and the availability of affordable rentals housing. I'll also be checking out New Haven, CT and Providence, RI, if anyone has an opinion on those cities.

Thanks!
    Eddie
    [This Message was Edited on 05/21/2006]
  2. kimfibro

kimfibro New Member

my son and i lived in hatfield mass which is the next town up from Northampton. Noho is VERY liberal, very artsy, very beautiful. home to smith college, amherst college up the road along w/umass. the image you're seeking for sure.

provincetown, well, is so very small that i cannot imagine finding year round, good paying work there. it's very much a seasonal place. but lots of other gorgeous towns on the cape close enough. hyannis, mass would probably be the largest on the cape. about an hour's drive tho to p'town.

providence is okay. new haven i personally wouldn't even venture to. it's large, kind of dirty looking and probably crime troubles off the charts.

hope i've been of some help to you!!! :)
  3. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

stormy, i've been staying in tampa, florida, and there's nothing for me here. it's too hot and devoid of culture for me. i'm ready for a tiny little scaled-down life somewhere, but it has to be somewhere intellectually, creatively and spiritually stimulating for me.

kim, interesting about new haven being trashy. i thought it was sort of a liberal college town ...not that liberal college towns can't be trashy :) i've driven through connecticut and it was really pretty but i never stopped anywhere. thanks for the advice on northampton. i'll have to put it on my list to check out.

eddie
    [This Message was Edited on 05/22/2006]
  4. kimfibro

kimfibro New Member

He wrote a non-fictional book on northampton called "Home Town". It won a Pulitzer Prize in 1999.

You could check it out at your library, etc. Noho is hip, beautiful, alive so worth looking into!!

Also, for many years in a row, Noho was voted the Most Artsy City in America....or, sorry, a title very similar to that. But it's also an arty mecca.

You must be frying in Tampa. It does get very hot and humid in New England...tough w/the fm ya know....don't know which is worse tho - north or south for that.
  5. WendyC

WendyC New Member

I lived in western Ma, went to Mt holyoke college, majored in art, now live in CT and Northampton is a much better community than New Haven.
    Wendyc
  6. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

Hi Eddie -
    Unless you make a heck of a lot of money, don't plan on living in a "hip" intellectual enclave like Cambridge. In fact, don't plan on living anywhere near P-town either.

Go to a map finder, and just eliminate everything within the Route 495 "Belt" as we call it here, and look at communities to the left of the line, Northhampton being one of them.

Take a typical rent for Tampa and quadruple it, and you'll be close to what you are going to have to pay to live close to Boston or in the Boston/Cambridge area.

I live on the South Shore and real estate has skyrocketed in Massachusetts to such an extent that if my husband and I tried to buy our current house at it's current assessment, we wouldn't be able to do it!!!!

I work in Rhode Island and I also had a friend that went to Brown University so I am a little familiar with the area. The communities surrounding Providence are way less expensive than their Massachusetts counterparts, but I think real estate close to the old part of town where Brown is is still expensive - a premium is put on all things "old" in New England.

I don't want to smush your enthusiasm for New England, but people who have come to live here from other parts of the country, particularly the South, are SHOCKED at how much it costs to live here. Salaries are, to some extent, inflated to compensate, but even so, for most people the housing market is one of those "necessary" evils.

In my experience, only people who come to live and work here from equally as expensive locales like San Diego, Chicago or New York have the financial ability to absorb a lateral job transfer to the Boston area. I've seen potential job applicants fall by the wayside left and right from Florida, Tennessee, even Connecticut. I know people who work in Boston and live as far away as New Hampshire or southern Rhode Island. But prices are way more reasonable in Western Mass. and it's beautiful country there also (just don't set your heart on living on the beach - at least not yet...)

Hugs,
    Madame Curie

7. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

very helpful information. i'm not working right now but i have no debt and several thousand $ to make a move. my hope is to relocate somewhere that i could live on a part-time job if i had to. i took out a book at the library today called 'the 100 best small art towns in america' and northampton is #2 in the country! the first is eureka, california, so i might have to check out eureka too. i loved in cali for awhile and love the west coast, however i'm not set on living too close to the ocean cuz i know it gets expensive. i understand that there's plenty of beautiful rivers running through mass. i actually prefer the river.

eddie
    [This Message was Edited on 05/22/2006]