OT Surprising No. 1 Beverage for Good Health

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JLH, Jun 9, 2006.

1. JLH

JLH New Member

Coffee lovers, raise your steaming mugs (careful now, don't spill) and say "Cheers!" Coffee may just be the most healthy beverage you can drink, at least if you're measuring "healthy" by its antioxidant punch. The Associated Press reports that researchers from the University of Scranton in Pennsylvania have determined that coffee provides more healthful antioxidants -- substances that are thought to fight cancer and heart disease -- than any other food or beverage found in the typical American diet.

Led by chemistry professor Joe A. Vinson, the team analyzed the antioxidant content of 100 popular foods and beverages, including vegetables, fruits, nuts, spices, and oils. Using data from the U.S. Department of Agriculture they then figured out how much of each food is typically consumed.

Average adult consumes this many antioxidants daily from:

Coffee (1.64 cups): 1,299 milligrams
    Tea: 294 milligrams
    Bananas: 76 milligrams
    Dry beans: 72 milligrams
    Corn: 48 milligrams

"The point is, people are getting the most antioxidants from beverages, as opposed to what you might think," Vinson told AP in an interview. He was quick to warn that you can't substitute coffee for fruits and vegetables. "Unfortunately, consumers are still not eating enough fruits and vegetables, which are better for you from an overall nutritional point of view due to their higher content of vitamins, minerals and fiber," he added. Some of the leading fruit sources of antioxidants are dates, cranberries and red grapes.

This isn't the first study to praise the health benefits of coffee. Earlier this year, Japanese researchers reported that people who drink coffee every day or almost every day have half the risk of developing liver cancer, compared with people who never drink it. The protective effect occurred with just one to two cups daily and increased with three to four cups. In addition, Harvard University researchers determined that coffee consumption can decrease by as much as 50 percent in men and 30 percent in women the risk of developing type 2 diabetes.

Experts warn that coffee should be consumed in moderation, since too much can not only make you jittery but also raise your cholesterol. The study findings were released in conjunction with the annual convention of the American Chemical Society in Washington.

2. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I always knew I liked coffee best! My husband doesn't like coffee, so he'll say "I'll bet that study was funded by the Coffee Growers' Association!" Oh well, I'll keep drinking coffee....thanks for the info! Terri
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

No matter what time of the day it is when I get out of bed, the very first thing that I do is go start my coffee!!! I fix it before I go to bed and all I have to do in the morning is pour the water in and turn it on.

I love Folger's coffee!! I have to drink decaf due to my heart problems, but it smells and tastes just as good as the "leaded" stuff to me!!!

Janet
  4. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Studies are showing a link between caffeine & alzheimers; meaning caffeine can prolong its onset.

If I don't have my caffeine cocktail first thing, I'm a total "zombie". I've used it as an anti-depressant for years, but only a cup or two.

My recipe to keep the acidity down & make it really yummy:

Organic French Roast.....Cinammon-Spice Herbal Tea (or others); Vanilla Almond Milk. The "best"!!

LIGHT***********carole

5. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i have fiborcystic breasts so i have to choose between chocolat bar or coffee????hmmmm the chocolate usually wins..

but i thought i would give it a try again..because i have so little energy at all in the mornings...

next i need to get on the amino acids and some calcium pryvuate..

jodie
  6. julieisfree05

julieisfree05 New Member

We ALL need to remember to get plenty of water!

Becoming dehydrated can affect blood flow and volume, and can make you feel more fatigued than you normally would.

I don't recommend any "brand" of water, since I live in the desert and the well water we get is cleaner than most bottled water! LOL!

- julie (is free!)

Save your "I'm sorry's"
    Just leave 'em at the door
    You can't make me feel
    guilty anymore.. - Danielle Peck