OT: Take This Quiz Is Your Relationship "Happily Ever After?"

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JLH, Jun 23, 2006.

1. JLH

JLH New Member

Happily Ever After? Take the Quiz!

You love that person with all your heart, mind, and soul. But do you have what it takes to live happily ever after?

Thanks to a 22-question quiz from Dr. John Gottman of Washington University in St. Louis, Mo., you can find out.

This survey is simple, but quite perceptive. It tests couples on how much they know--and don't know--about one another.

Those who know the most about their partner's likes, dislikes, interests, and hobbies are most likely to enjoy married life and make it last a lifetime, report The New York Post and London's Daily Mail.

The most important part of any relationship? Friendship. "Friendship is overlooked, although it is equally important to men and women," Gottman told the Daily Mail. "Seventy percent of the passion, romance, and sex for men stems from friendship, and the percentage is even higher for women."

The best way to make your friendship stronger is with a detailed "love map." To do this, memorize important information about your partner--hopes, dreams, worries, fears, and more. "Remember the major events in each other's histories," Gottman told the Daily Mail.

"One of the most important things in a marriage is being and staying interested in your partner and keeping your partner interested in you."

Answer these 22 questions and then see below to find out what your answers mean.

1. I can name my partner's best friends.

2. I know what stresses my partner is currently facing.

3. I know the names of some people who have been irritating my partner lately.

4. I can tell you some of my partner's life dreams.

5. I know my partner's basic philosophy of life.

6. I can list the relatives my partner likes the least.

7. I feel that my partner knows me pretty well.

8. When we're apart, I think fondly of my partner.

9. I often touch or kiss my partner affectionately.

10. My partner really respects me.

11. There is passion in our relationship.

12. Romance is still part of our relationship.

13. My partner appreciates the things I do.

14. My partner likes my personality.

15. Our sex life is mostly satisfying.

16. At the end of the day my partner is glad to see me.

17. My partner is one of my best friends.

18. We just love talking to each other.

19. There is lots of give and take (both people have influence) in our discussions.

20. My partner listens respectfully even when we disagree.

21. My partner is usually a great help as a problem solver.

22. We generally mesh well on basic values and goals in life.

What your answers mean:

15 or more positive answers: You have a lot of strength in your relationship.

8 to 14 positive answers: This is a pivotal time in your relationship as there are strengths you can build upon, but do focus on the weaknesses that need your attention.

7 or fewer: Your relationship may be in serious trouble and could be headed for the rocks. If you're concerned about this, it means you probably still value the relationship enough to get help.

OK now ..... How did you score?
  2. itzmede

itzmede New Member

Guess I haven't wasted the past 21 years!
  3. mrpain

mrpain New Member

We've been happily married for 23 plus years. I would have to give us a nineteen, but it would be interesting to see what she would come up with.
  4. angellwolffe

angellwolffe New Member

a 20 here. We've been married 13 years and have been best friends for 18. We can put aside being married and talk in a way you only talk to your bestest friend. we can actually hang out together and we know each other well. Angell
  5. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

HONESTLY, my score was 22!! i have been married to the best guy for nearly 13 years. We send each other messages w/out speaking. Like, if we haven't had food from a certain place for years, all of a sudden i will say, hey, how about supper from....and he will say I was thinking of that too....we can look at each otehr and communicate without words...we finish each other's sentences...and we are happoest TOGETHER!!!
    When I got so sick I asked him, "what will you do if I get really bad off", he says"I will help you". I said,"What will you do if I cannot walk anymore?" He said,"I will carry you."
    He has taken over the shopping,some cooking, most of the housecleaning and still surprises me with flowers, or something I want. The best gifts are those you want.
    He still tells me I am beautiful even though I have gained much weight and my face is red and blotchy......
    He truly makes me happy and I make sure he knows it. I don't want to ever take him for granted....he has always ben my best friend.
    He is the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!
  6. pinsnneed1es

pinsnneed1es New Member

Are a perfect.
  7. spacee

spacee Member

But we have made it 38 years! We are just very different which I think as helped since I have the DD. He has alot of interests that I could not participate in even if I were well.

Interesting poll.

Linda
  8. jake123

jake123 New Member

I knew when I married him that I was marrying a true friend because we knew each other in high school. He is the one who would bring me my books when I was sick.

He beat my boyfriend up when my boyfriend was ugly to me. I went to his wedding and said it would never last. It lasted 12 years. Mine lasted 13 years.

I called him before our 20th high school reunion and a woman answered and said she would have him call back. He never called. I called back, he answered. We had a very superficial conversation-how are you, what are you doing now, how many kids do you have, etc. bye for now.

In the space of three weeks he kicked the woman out, he called my mom and asked how to get in touch with me, made a date for lunch (I was living in West Texas, he was in Central Texas). Lunch was six hours long--talking, talking. We hugged goodbye. He felt soooo good.

We announced our engagement at our 20th reunion.

That was Feb., we married in August. We will be married for 19 years this August 21. I still adore him.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/25/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 06/25/2006]