OT The Big Chicken In Atlanta

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Anyone familiar with Atlanta knows about the Big Chicken. For those who don't, it's a clock in the shape of a chicken and the beak opens and closes. It's part of a restaurant and stands about two stories tall. It's one of those kitchy landmarks that is used in reference to the area.

My daughter and SIL were driving past it with my grandson in his car seat in the back. They heard him say, "Duck." He's just learning to talk and it cracked them up. I laughed so hard when I heard about it.

Just thought y'all in Atlanta would get a kick out of this.

Love, Mikie
  2. leubie

leubie New Member

Thanks for a great laugh----------I live 40 miles south of ATL-------thanks agian----------------i needed a laugh---------------havent been well lately--------------the Dental sugeries and all-------------I still have the hole opening into my sinus area---------after being stitched 2 times-------------I guess im going to have to have major surgery w/ My ENT-------------all this from a simple tooth exaraction------this has been going on since feb.--------really starting to take its toll------------SO THANK YOU AND LOVE TO ALL LAURA
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

It is definitely a landmark, I'm glad they saved it (they were going to tear it down a while ago, I think they moved it tho)...

Altho I'm not sure I'd recommend it as a 'must-see' for those visiting the Atlanta area for the first time, hehehe!

best,
    Victoria
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Laura, I am so very sorry. I didn't realize this was still going on. I hope and pray this will heal. God bless you. I'm glad this gave you a laugh.

Victoria, I think every town has something like this. When that guy escaped from the court house and took that woman hostage, the Big Chicken was mentioned on the coverage.

Down here, we have a fig tree which was planted in the 1800's. It's HUGE. I take people to see it. You can stand waist high in the roots.

In Denver, there was a traffic accident and a guy was thrown from his vehicle. No one could find the body. After an exhaustive search, it was found in a backyard in a satellite dish. That dish became infamous.

Guess we are just attracted to the bizzare (and sometimes, grusome).

Love, Mikie
  5. victoria

victoria New Member

here in Athens one of the 'sights' is "The Tree That Owns Itself" - the original owner gave it its own piece of property since he loved it so much!

Laura, I hope after surgery everything heals well and it makes a big difference for you - sinus problems are literally a headache, I can't imagine having a hole there as well! that is scary!

all the best,
    Victoria
  6. kellyann

kellyann New Member

I don't think they moved the big chicken. They have rebuilt it though. It was there last year I know. There is a quilt shop near the chicken I go to now and then. Ya know, go up 41 hwy, hang a right at the chicken.....haha!

Kellyann
  7. TAM

TAM New Member

HELLO MIKIE,
    YOUR GRANDSON SOUNDS ADORABLE!
    HE SOUNDS VERY SMART TOO!
    KIDS DO SAY THE CUTIST THINGS!
    THANKS FOR THE LAUGH AND SMILE. TAKE CARE.
    TAMMY
  8. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

When I was very little (MANY moons ago) My folks were taking me for a ride in the country. My first word...."cow". LOL My second word? "Guck". LOLOL And we wonder why I'm so into animals. Go figure!

God Bless.
  9. crackerB

crackerB New Member

couldn't find my way round Mayretta without that yardbird!
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It does make a wonderful reference point since everyone seems to know where it is. I love campy old stuff like that anyway. It's what used to make one town different from another before we got so homogenous. People still love to see the world's largest ball of twine and big statues of people, like Paul Bunyan. With the interstate highway system now, we drive past most of the old kitschy things which used to draw in the tourists. I think those kinds of things are on their way out, soon to be lost forever, like Route 66 memorabelia.

Love, Mikie

[ advertisement ]