OT : The Black and White Era

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cats3, Sep 8, 2006.

1. cats3

cats3 New Member

Black and White
    (Under age 40? You won't understand.)

You could hardly see for all the snow,
    Spread the rabbit ears as far as they go.
    Pull a chair up to the TV set,
    "Good Night, David. Good Night, Chet."

Depending on the channel you tuned,
    You got Rob and Laura - or Ward and June.
    It felt so good. It felt so right.
    Life looked better in black and white.

I Love Lucy, The Real McCoys,
    Dennis the Menace, the Cleaver boys,
    Rawhide, Gunsmoke, Wagon Train,
    Superman, Jimmy and Lois Lane.
    Father Knows Best, Patty Duke,
    Rin Tin Tin and Lassie too,
    Donna Reed on Thursday night! --

I wanna go back to black and white.
    Everything always turned out right.
    Simple people, simple lives...
    Good guys always won the fights.

Now nothing is the way it seems,
    In living color on the TV screen.
    Too many murders, too many fights,
    I wanna go back to black and white.

In God they trusted, alone in bed, they slept,
    A promise made was a promise kept.
    They never cussed or broke their vows.
    They'd never make the network now.

But if I could, I'd rather be
    In a TV town in '53.
    It felt so good. It felt so right.

I'd trade all the channels on the satellite,
    If I could just turn back the clock tonight
    To when everybody knew wrong from right.
    Life was better in black and white!

from an email sent to me
    [This Message was Edited on 09/08/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 09/08/2006]
  2. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

That was wonderful, although I'm a little young for all of it. But I do remember....

Hugs,

Nancy B.
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

In l952 there were two tv sets in our Mid-west village. The following year almost everybody bought a TV set.

We got two channels. Somedays, when reception was good, you could get a snowy picture on a third channel.

In those days TV wasn't broadcast all day. Went on in the morning around 6 am w/ the playing of the Star Spangled Banner. Went off the air at midnight after the late movie.

And only old movies were shown. Don't think any movies were shown that were less than five years old.

Commercials were not elaborate. An announcer held up a can of something and said, "Buy this".

Opening and closing credits were cardboard signs w/ the name of the show, etc. printed in fancy lettering.

TV was live. Sometimes a shot would accidental show a camerman or the show would run long and the closing number get cut off.

Variety shows and westerns were very popular.

It took a minute or two for the TV to warm up. When you turned the tv off the picture faded to a point of light that took a minute or so to completely die out.

People watched tv in dark rooms. In the daytime the shades were pulled. Any many people had a "TV light" on top of the tv set. Similar to a night light. Usually held a Christmas tree bulb.

No remote. In households w/ kids, the kids were the channel changers.

I'm so old I remember when shows like Gunsmoke, Superman, Father Knows Best and Jack Benny were on RADIO!
  4. minkanyrose

minkanyrose New Member

I can't beleive the idea these shows are giving our kids. I know the kids say it doesn't effect you but I know better with the oldies we didn't have all the violence we have now and there is always someone out there these days that say Yeah he was stupid to get caught I will show the world how to do it and not get caught.

No wonder our wourld is so down they see these shows on tv and recreate them in real life in their neighborhood
  5. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

These were the good ole days.....weren't they?

At least there is TV Land...lol and I still can watch a few of my old favorite shows.

We have three kids and they are not allowed to watch cartoons or any shows with violence.

It's a shame what television has become in our society today. It's far from what it use to be and I would trade it today if I could have back the shows I grew up watching.

Love & Hugs!

carolin

6. libra55

libra55 New Member

That was great! I tell my kids stories about how we only had 3 channels to choose from, and our TV set (Black and White, of course)was encased in a wooden console....there were two buttons...one to turn it on and off, the other to control the volume...and then there was the channel selector dial. I actually showed them an ancient picture of it (the picture of course is black and white too).

They couldn't believe we had to wait for the set to "warm up"....no solid state then.....and that it had a "picture tube". And of course no remote control either...

I remember The Man From Uncle, Honey West, The Beverly Hillbillies, I Love Lucy, The Ed Sullivan Show, Hullaballoo, Shindig, Perry Mason, The Flying Nun......anybody remember those?

I also remember the day the old TV set breathed its last...the picture just got smaller and smaller until it was a tiny blue dot in the center of the screen, and then pouf! it disappeared. We took the old set to the dump...no trash pickup then either.

That was in the mid-60s. We then got a new COLOR TV set....the first show I watched in color was Star Trek (the original one) which just celebrated its 40th anniversary yesterday.

Thank goodness for TV Land....it saves my sanity.....the kids today really do not know what a good show is.

Michelle
  7. cats3

cats3 New Member

Thanks for all the replys.

It's been a year now that I had to give up cable(financial problems)and go with rabbit ears and local channels.

2 of the channels that I get are snowy so sometimes it is hard to see what's on.
    Just like the old days except this time it's in color!

8. libra55

libra55 New Member

Believe it - you ain't missing anything!

It is all garbage now, all of it. My kids' language is straight out of the gutter from watching and listening to MTV. we block it....they figure out the code....I want to kick the screen in and throw the TV out the window....horrible shows Girls next door, about 3 Playboy bunnies and Hugh Hefner now in his 80s, raunchy videos, reality shows about eating worms and other gross things, Viva La Bam (they destroy everything in sight each and every episode)....ugh....so nasty.

give me the old days back.

Michelle
  9. SweetT

SweetT New Member

movies and old shows, like Turner Classic Movies in black and white; old Sci-Fi movies in black and white, etc. I love old tv programs. I have always been an old spirit, or, I just spent too much time snuggled under my grandparents :)