OT: The Porch Light is on ...Vol 40.CLOSED

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 1sweetie, Nov 8, 2006.

1. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

Good Morning everyone. I could not find the new Porch thread...only a closed thread by Rock.

If I've started this one in error because of brain fog, I will ask for forgiviness from SMG & mrdad and delete this one. I felt a thread needed to be started.

Will be back in a few....
    [This Message was Edited on 11/09/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 11/10/2006]
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi Sweetie, The Earth has gone around the sun, and it's a new day. I was just thinking I would start a new thread unless some responsible porcher already had.

And you did! So there we are.

Got about 3-4 hours sleep last night. More than usual which is none. See if I can play bridge on line today. Did a couple times y-day, but the machine kept saying, "Your connection has been severed" which sounds pretty serious to me.

Hope everybody has a good day, especially you kids who have been having flares.

Auf wiedersehen.
  3. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

I need for someone without severe brain fog to take this thread and run with it this morning. I just had to delete my second attempt to start a real post and some how I sent it after writing one sentence. I deleted it and am trying again. I'm struggling......looking for someone to take over this thread. Who will volunteer?

It is a lovely morning in my part of the world today. The sun is shining finally and by afternoon the temperature will be in the low 70's.

I enjoyed reading the thread yesterday...very interesting. I love the stories and there were so many new people. I would love to respond to each one individually but my brain is not going to allow that now even with the notes I tried to make.

Welcome to wish_to_be-healthy, callum, grg1988, and borrn2fish64. Once you post to The Porch you are officially a "Porchie". I look forward to hearing more about each of you.

LATER

4. Seeseaisme

Seeseaisme New Member

Dear Sweetie - I just wanted to say hello and my brain is all fogged up too. It's just awful, isn't it? I can't take over for you, but I thought I'd send you well wishes.

There sure was a lot of food here yesterday and I noticed that on the Message Board there's a post talking about weight gain with fibro and what to do about it.

I have one huge sweet tooth, and I love my breads. I need to cut that crap out of my diet for a while. I know it's not good for me. My doc told me once that carbs release endorphines in the brain and that's why people eat "comfort food" when they are feeling bad. Anybody else hear of this? Is it true?

I'm so gullable(sp?), we're going with phonics today folks. teehee When my husband and I had been married about a year, he told me his boss was opening a business in Florida and we would get a beach house there and he was going to get a huge raise. I was so excited.

Then dh told me his boss sent a "bag" home for me and it was out in his truck. I said oh! what's in it. His reply - same crap I'm feedin you. Big joke. Don't take it wrong folks, my husband kids around a lot.

To all my porch friends and newbies I hope you are doing well today. Maybe I'll drop by this evening and spend some time with you all. It's going to be 70 degrees here today and sunny - I need to get some housework done here on the creek.

One last thing, Rock, I did not know that about Stephen Foster, you are always full of entertainment.

Sees
  5. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Do hope all our Friends who have been ill with flairs
    and other ailments are doing much better today! Sweet-
    ie and Rock, "ya done good" getting the day started here
    on the Porch! I brought some (still warm) Pound Cake
    to go with the morning beverages! It's the Orange kind
    as I use Orange Juice instead of water in the mix! Think
    you may like it. (Anita Bryant does) Sorry Rock!

Hope some of are new Friends show up today as we get
    real bored (we Kids) only havin' one another to pick
    on, don't we?

"Talk" later my Porchie Friends!
    JOE aka MRDAD
    P.S. Pound Cake?? The Box only says 11&3/4 Ozs.?
  6. rockgor

As I'm sure we all know, pound cakes got their name from the recipe. Mix one pound each of butter, flour, eggs and milk.

Ever see any of those old cookbooks written before the
    days of modern measuring devices? They said things like:
    take a lump of butter the size of a hen's egg, or use as much flour as necessary.

Stay away from those chain saws, Linda. They can do a lot of damage. Especially when turned on. (This is probably also true of they guys who are wielding them.)

Bruce Catton said in one of his books that as soon as technology made things possible, they were done. Once chain saws, for example, made it possible to cut down whole forests in a short time, that was what happened.

Sees, your husband has a strange sense of humor. Has anyone ever hit him over the head w/ a horseshoe? Or have you ever wanted to?

Re: coffee cans, I saw a program on TV where some coffee execs were asked about the old one pound can. One guy said a competitor kept the can the same size but filled it w/ less coffee.

The public assumed it was still a pound so sales for that brand soared. The others had to follow suit or go out of business.

Who knows; may be true. I remember when I was a kid coffee went up to about $3 a pound and the ladies in our little town were semi hysterical. My mother, who drank many cups a day, even reduced her consumption temporarily.

7. wish_to_be_healthy

wish_to_be_healthy New Member

Popped by to pick up that hot cold dish...r,um cold, hot dish...Got the recipe for that tater tot hot dish from my mom, who got it from the Lutheran church cook book...Hope you all liked it!

It's always a hit at weddings, funerals...well, just about any occasion is perfect for a good hot dish!

Looked out the window this mornin...It was a sunny dey, but when I stepped out...all foggy...Can't remember what state I'm in??? MN? CA? Is it Marine layer fogggy??? Tule fog? No the sun is up, that only happens at night...silly me, this is the daytime? Maybe I'm mixing my days and nights up again, oh dear...

Ah yes, I remember now...I'm in an altered state today! Kinda hard to remember wit dis brain fog, which way is up or down, uff da!

Well, I hate to run (stumble) oopsy..down the stairs...My stars, I just don't know why this body works da way it does sometimes...nearly fell on my kiester, there.

Say hi to the neighbors for me...Such a nice neighborhood, here...Bye, now!
  8. rockgor

Can't beat that good old tater tot hotdish, can you W2B. Did you know they served it at the state fair? My sister in Rochester sent me a news clipping.

"Hot Dish on a Stick". Served w/ a cup of mushroom soup dipping sauce. Sounds like a culinary joke, but the article had a picture so it must be true.

The inventors said the hardest thing was the fair required they be ready to sell a minimum of 40,000 servings.

A nice change from those miniture donuts, popcorn and cotton candy.

Wonder if they still display busts carved in butter at the dairy exhibit.
  9. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Big greetings to all,

Someone just said that if you have posted one time on this porch you are officially a PORCHIE ? Hmmm, I did not know that. I guess that must be correct but every time I read it I think of a pig (like porky). Sorry guys and gals !!

Just had a little bit of time to drop in on the porch and check everyone and the food out. Hope there is osme of that warm orange pound cake left. That sounds really good !

Wish-to-be - I just checked out your profile. You are the same age as my oldest daughter (except her b-day was April) and one of my grandsons who is 10 years old was dxed with all the same things as your son - ADHD/PPD nos within the autism spectum also and just found out also that an0ther daughter's first son and child 2 1/2 years old has been dxed ( as much as they dx one that young)with slight to moderate autism.

So we have alot in common in that regard. Glad to meet you and hope things go well with you and you child/ren (I can't remember now if you had more than one child). It is all so sad and with my hi b/p and pain sometimes it is hard to accept. However they are all special children and usually very loving and happy, aren't they.

At least you are in a stable family. My daughter with the son PPD-nos also had two others , one with leumkemia and she divorced last year. There is alot more to this story but I do not want tears on the porch.Hope you step out of the brain fog soon. That is a neat pic of you and DH in the profile.

Sorry to bring this sad story to this happy porch but wanted to mention some of the similarities in our stories to Wish To Be.

Lin - I hope it is a little bit quieter where you are with all tht noise of sawing. Can you get anything done with all that noise? Hope the cleanup will be done soon.

Hi also to Sweetie and Rock (hope you bot are feeling better) , and Mr Dad.

Sorry I didn't get a chance to taste that Tater Tot casserole - I think Wish 2 be brought that one.

I have been here to long and have to get some stuff around here - again.

Lots of warm hugs to all,

That Granni (Marilyn)
  10. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Well, all I can say is double BRAINFOG ! After I sent the first one I thought I checked to see if it was there and it wasn't, or SO I thought. Either I saw wrong OR it came in a little later than I had expected. Usually when I post it is right there !!!

Sorry, to all, esp SMG and Mrdad !! Please forgive !!

More blessings and warm hugs,

Marilyn (that granni with lots of brainfog)
  11. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Just vrief note. Getting chilly here in Upstate NY.

Wish-to-be if you ever need help people here already know that my son Danny has autism and I lecture and do seminars here and there in the subject, so know I am here.

Talking of food and Danny he walked two miles with me last night and collected about $70 of canned food for the food drive. Way to go Danny. (It helped that Guido was lurking by the gates!!!)

I feel sick still but not as sick.

Will be on when I have something useful to add.

MMM Dish on a stick sounds interesting!

Love Anne
  12. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

A lump of butter the size of an egg? Thanks for the pound cake info!

I have a small paperback cookbook printed around the '30s. There is a whole chapter on "Invalid Cookery", i.e. cooking for invalids. Though, I don't know what invalid would want albumin water. To make: just stir an egg white into a glass of water - or take my advice and don't! lol Aparently invalids really go for dry toast too, and the water left over from boiling a piece of meat (they called this Beef Tea). ;)

Another old cookbook I have has a recipe for "fried brains," another for "Old Lady cake" and one for something made out of squirrels. It also has a recipe for "Kentucky pumpkin pie." The secret to Kentucky pumpkin pie is about a cup of burbon. :)

I really like the older cookbooks. It's the first place I found a fudge recipe that didn't call for condensed milk. The books were really good for using commonplace ingredients. And it had a recipe for almond toffee that tastes like the inside of a Skor bar.

((not cooking squirrels tonight)) Shannon
  13. Shannonsparkles

Way ta go on the food drive! I'm clapping for you both. :)
  14. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I have officially lost my mind and came here to announce it.
    I visited the Animal Shelter today. Visted! not brought home. The only time I was tempted was with two brother cats but I resisted. Oh, and there was a sweet little dog but he was very afraid of everyone but his foster mother who was very protective of him.

But here's the crazy part. I am filling out an application to volunteer. Suppose they'll let me sit and pet pets? I have NO idea if I can do this or not but I want to find out because life as I knew it seems to have fled.

Other than that brief stint among the beasts, this day has sucked big time. I seem to be depressed! How unusual.

Sorry, no energy to say hi to you all individually but I'm thinking of you - and Sweetie, it looks like the thread went on just fine. Good job.

Hugs all around. Please pardon the cat hair.

Marta
  15. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

Hello all,
    I’m glad the porch isn’t moving too fast, maybe I can keep up today. I am feeling pretty good today which is wonderful as it’s been a long flare for me. Hopefully it will be upwards for awhile.

Rock – yes Tuaca is a citris –y liquer and is very tasty. The swans are Trumpeter Swans and are just the brightest white. They are different than the Black swans which are European I think. Trumpeters are native and are huge – 8 foot wingspan and 20 to 40 lbs or so. A flock of 50 or more is quite a sight.

Sweetie I hope your fog lifts today, it sounds like your weather is wonderful!

Sees – funny story, I’m with Rock though – I’d bounce something off his noggin! Lol. I bet you don’t believe a word he says anymore. More good weather your way! We are gray, cold and wet still.

Linda – It sounds like things will be a bit tidier there when your squirrels are done with the trees. We had a guy come out and take down a couple of big fir trees 2 years ago. He was recommended to us by a friend as being inexpensive and doing a good job. The guy was absolutely hyper – went right up these big old really tall trees just like you said, with spikes and a belt. Whacked them down lickety split and then sat around on the porch with up bs-ing for a bit. Come to find out he’d had a 5 way bypass just 6 weeks before that and he said if his wife knew he was over here doing this all that money would be wasted because she’d kill him with her bare hands. The guy just couldn’t stand sitting around and said at least he was going to live ‘till he died. Unbelievable.

Allllll right MrJoedad, are we really boring you that much? Better have some Absolut, then we’ll be much funnier for ya. If Jeeves has left any; I saw him sneaking off with a slice of poundcake a minute ago so you better check the fridge,

Wish – my SIL fed us Tater Tot soup once a couple of years ago and much to my surprise it was really good. Hope your ‘altered state’ clears up soon too. Boy there are a bunch of us that have been having a hard time.

LOL Grannie, I’m glad I’m not the only one! That’s why it so great to be here – we all understand only toooooo well!

Anne, that Danny of yours collected more $$ of food than our whole little scout troop! Way to go Danny. How is Geof doing? I hope better.

Shannon – any chance of your passing on that toffee recipe? That’s one of my favoritest candies. I take a farming magazine (don’teven say it guys!) that runs some of those old recipes for fun sometimes – of course they called them ‘reciepts’ then.

Marta that sounds like a great idea! You’ll be doing something so helpful and when the ‘right one’ comes along you’ll know it. Just make sure they know you will need to be very flexible on hours. Big hug to you – being depressed really does suck.

Ah-ha! I actually said hi to everyone!
    Gotta go rest my eyes now. Later gators.
    Gretchen
  16. Shannonsparkles

Turns out I modified this a bit from the cookbook. I didn't try it the original way. It'll work fine as long as the temperature is right.

Almond Butter Crunch

1 cup salted butter
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup finely chopped lightly toasted almonds (original recipe calls for 1/3 cup)
    pinch of salt (if desired - I did it, anyway)
    big spoonful of honey (also my idea, always tinkering, you know)
    milk chocolate, if desired (I left it out)

In saucepan, heat butter and sugar slowly, stirring constantly until sugar is dissolved. Cook to hard-crack stage (310*F), stirring occasionally to prevent burning. Add nuts and pour into a buttered 8x8 pan. (I would use a larger pan if I did it again. In an 8x8" pan it's about half an inch thick.) When the candy is cool, spread melted chocolate on top to coat. When chocolate is firm, invert candy and coat the other side with chocolate. When firm, break into iregular pieces.

I loved this stuff! When I popped it out of the pan, I had this huge, heavy (over 1 1/4 pound) slab of buttery candy in my hand. On impulse, I chomped a bite off one corner - one of the high points of my kitchen experiences! :) Everyone should get to bite a piece of candy bigger than their head at least once!

Has anyone here eaten horehound candy? It's one of the other recipes on this page.

(( )) Shannon
  17. Shannonsparkles

Sometimes you just gotta try, right? I hope you are able to do some pet petting. :) Hope you recover from all the activity today.

((good for you dear))
  18. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Thanks so much for your kinds words.

Does anyone know where the last Porchlight thread is? I've been everywhere and can't find it. Can't find one thread by Rocky.

Marta
  19. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Just have time to read the latest Posts as I've been busy
    doing Laundry, "de-thawing" my freezer and on the phone
    trying to raise campaign funds to live on while I'm wait-
    ing for my 2008 political run! As I get older, I fine it
    a bit more difficult to get by in life on my good looks
    and great body! (Ya know what I'm sayin')??

Do wish to Congratulate Danny for doing so well on the
    food collection drive! I asume that is for Thanksgiving
    baskets. KUDOS DANNY!!

Gotta start cleaning soon as my "OLD SQUEEZE" has accept-
    ed my invitation to come down to San Francisco and spend
    Christmas wiff me! Suppose to do that last year but I had
    to cancel due to my severe Flu bout. Gonna get a shot
    this year Marta, of ABSOLUTE 2x aday may keep the Flu a-
    way. Don't ya think?

Hope all are warm and dry! Is it snowing up there again
    Shannon? Has Sargent Preston and dog King come down from
    the Yukon to Winter in the relative warmth of Calgary?
    Glad you're stopping by the Porch to "see" us all more!

Sweetie and Rock: You did very well setting things up
    on the Porch Post today! SMG I'm sure is proud!

Wish 2 B : Good to have ya up on the Porch! So are you a
    former Californian? We have beaches just like the ones
    in the Pic in your Bio. up here in Northern Ca. minus the
    Sun. Foggy froggy would feel right at home here in S.F.!

Hey Granni: Hope all is well wiff ya today. Try to leave
    a message or reply today as ya can. Starting to miss ya!

I know I missed some of my friends but I shall return!
    JOE aka MRDAD
  20. wish_to_be_healthy

wish_to_be_healthy New Member

The Fog has rolled in so much it's like pea soup!

Gotta turn in for the night...My brain says it's time to unplug...it's putting up quite afuss...Falling asleep at the screen...

Good thing I can jut walk down the street...not good to drive in this condition.

Buona Notte (spelling and translation problems due to techincal difficulties in the circuitry)

Suzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz