OT: Those with Hypoglycemia or Diabetes

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by claudiaw, May 14, 2006.

1. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

i was wondering if you feel nauseus all of the sudden, and sometimes vomit, or feel as though you will pass out.

If I have gone too long without food or worse if I have eaten too much sugar, I get light headed and sick to my stomach.

After I eat I kind of feel tingly all over, mainly hands and feet.

I'm just wondering if anyone else get's this.

It doesn't usually happen if I have been eating right, but today had two high sugar granola type bars, took a nap and woke up like this.

Thanks for your input in advance. I may not be able to respond as I still don't feel right. So thank you again.:)

Claudia

P.S. Out of all the supplement's for sugar control which have been most helpful? Such as chromiun, cinnamon,bananba,vanadium,fenugreek,etc.[This Message was Edited on 05/14/2006]
  2. usanagirl

usanagirl New Member

Many micronutrients have been found to be deficient in patients with Syndrome X, pre-clinical diabetes and actual diabetes. One of the most crucial is chromium. Chromium is critical in the metabolism of glucose and the action of insulin and has been shown to greatly improve insulin sensitivity, especially in those who are deficient. Studies indicate that almost 90 % of the American population is deficient in chromium.

Vitamin E not only improves the antioxidant defenses but also has been shown to improve insulin resistance. In other studies, a low vitamin E level has been found to be an independent and strong predictor for the development of adult onset diabetes mellitus. There was a five-fold increase in the risk of developing diabetes in those individuals who had low levels of vitamin E.

Magnesium deficiency has been associated with both types 1 and 2 diabetes. This low level of magnesium has further been associated with an increased risk of diabetic patients developing diabetic retinopathy as well and when corrected in the elderly a significant improvement in the function of insulin results. Diagnosing magnesium deficiency is quite difficult. Serum magnesium levels must be used where only 0.3 percent of the body's total magnesium is located. Cellular levels of magnesium are much more sensitive and accurate. Magnesium deficiency may be the most under diagnosed electrolyte abnormality today.

Maybe this will help!

Hugs,
    Dena
  3. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

Thanks for the info.:)

The only thing I am lacking is more chromium, I think. I take a lot of supplement's and a high potentcy multiple.

I will add chromiun and maybe some ALA.

Thanks again,

Claudia
  4. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I don't get nauseous suddenly like you do but the rest of what you described is familiar.

If I eat sugar I get dizzy and gross feeling - usually a headache. It also puts me to sleep.

I also black out a lot.

I "crash" if I haven't been controlling my blood sugar well. That usually means a well balanced snack every hour or so.

I do take a lot of supplements and yet the problem seems to persist. Even with my diet efforts I struggle but it is much worse if I don't do anything to control it.

I don't know what to tell you about the sudden vomiting.

Take care,

Sofi
  5. usanagirl

usanagirl New Member

because vitamins are not regulated by the govt. Therefore, when nutritional supplements are manufactured to Food Grade Standards instead of Pharmaceutical Grade Standards, over 90% will not meet label claim. So if the ingredients are of low quality with low bioavailability, and in inappropriate nutrient amounts and ratios, more than likely, they will be ineffective.

Have you heard of a book called The Comparative Guide To Nutritional Supplements by Lyle MacWilliam? It was a study done of over 500 name brand supplements and they were rated on a scale from 1-100. Very interesting book!!!

How much chromium are you taking a day?
  6. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

Thank's for the response.

I too try to eat every 2 hrs. or so.

The vomiting happens once in a great while in the morning, if I didn't eat enogh the night before, or had too much sugar.

It is very hard to balance.

Take care,

claudia
  7. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

Yes I am familar with that book, thanks.

I use to work at a healthnfood store, so I did a lot odf research on quality vit's.

I use DR. Becker's powder Green multiple( similar to All One Green Multiple), very good quality and easy to digest. It does only have 50mcg of chromiun though, so I will buy extra to get about 600mcg a day.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.:)

Claudia
  8. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

I don't know about diabetes, but there is a diet developed by Dr St Amand for fibromyalgics that will control hypoglycemia. You will find it in his book 'What your doctor may not tell you about fibromyalgia fatigue' or on his Guaidoc website. I have found it incredibly helpful, it stops the insulin spikes.

The other thing you could possibly do to control it is just stick to eating foods from the lower half of the glycemic index.
  9. yamona

yamona New Member

I am hypoglycemic. I am not diabetic though. My blood sugar drops just out of the blue. I can't have sweets or I get very ill. I get shaky, sweaty, confused and weak. I have passed out before also. The tests don't show me as diabetic. Blood sugar is from 30-120. I have to have a soft drink when I feel like this and eat quickly or I pass out. I don't use the supplements for sugar. It is not good for FM.

Yasmin
  10. Jennyflower33

Jennyflower33 New Member

i have hypoglycemia. i am currently taking a supplement called GLUCOBALANCE. i take 3 a day with meals which means 500mcg of chromium amongst the other stuff it contains. i have been taking for 1 week so will not expect to see effects for months but worth a shot as a lot of hypoglycemia symptoms can overlap with CFS...and who knows, it cud b a chronic case of hypoglycemia and not CFS...very hard to say at this point. i was gettign awful faint spells which are now almost gone after going on a high protein diet, having regular protein snacks and avoiding all sugar and refined foods.
  11. Jennyflower33

Jennyflower33 New Member

hey skeesix

ive been on chromium for 1 week now. i take 500mcg a day. how much did u take and how long u been taking it? what do u eat? i have protein with every meal but i stil have brown rice, brwon pasta and wholewheat bread. i only have a handful of the rice/pasta tho. i also have oats for breakfast.