OT Tipping at motels, inns, etc

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrobutterfly, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Do you tip the housekeepers? When we go to stay at places and basically sleep there and it costs anywhere from $100 to $125 a night I sure hate to add a tip on there too. I feel the owners should pay them a fair wage at the price their charging. I mean aren't you paying for a clean room? I go to leave one and my husband says not too. Do you leave one?
  2. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I tip the maids if I stay more than one night and they do a good job. I feel that I paid for a clean room when I got there, but the maid keeps it clean for me while I am there and is cleaning up after me.

I bet Dear Abby has something out there about tipping. I'm gonna check. (Mostly because I just don't want to work right now!)

Hugzz
    Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies!
  3. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Hey again!

Here's what I found on tipping at a hotel/resort. I don't think I can afford to travel anymore with all this tipping!!

"Before you arrive at a nicer hotel or resort, inquire as to whether gratuities are included in the price of the room. Some hotels are now charging a daily fee that covers all tipping for hotel services. If there is not a daily fee, these rates are appropriate:

Valet or parking attendant - $1-3 is appropriate for parking or returning the car. It is not necessary to tip for parking, but always for returning the car.

Doorman - If he hails you a cab, $1-2. If he helps you with your bags in or out of the car, $0.50-1 a bag. Use $1-2 per bag if he carries them all the way to the room. If he just opens the door, nothing. If he is exceptionally helpful with directions or restaurant recommendations, same as concierge.

Bellman - When he helps you with your bags, tip $1-2 per bag. Give him the tip when he shows you your room. If he just carries the bags to the front desk and then disappears, save it for the person who carries the bags to your room. Upon checkout, tip a bellman who helps with your bags. Tip more for additional services.

Concierge - $5-10 for help with hard-to-get dinner reservations or theater tickets. Tipping is optional for just plain advice. Tipping can be done at the end of the trip or at the time of service, just keep is straight so that you are fair.

Room Service - If gratuity is included, add nothing or $1. Otherwise add 15-20% to the total charge.

Delivery of special items - If you request extra pillows or an iron, tip $1 per item received, minimum $2.

Maid service - $1-5 per day typically, up to $10 per day depending upon how much mess you make. Tip daily because there might be a different maid each day. Leave the tip on your pillow. Err on the side of being generous, and tip on the last day also.

Swimming pool or gym attendant - Nothing, unless you require special services such as extra seating or inflating pool toys; then it is $2-5. If you want the same deck chairs every day, then tip $2-3 per chair beginning the first day.

Hotel maintenance staff - Nothing to replace a light bulb, fix the air conditioning, etc."

Hugzz
    Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies (and always tip extra if you have your dog with you!)!
  4. ksp56

ksp56 Member

We do tip. A dollar or two a day, depending on how the room is kept. If we tip at the end of a two to three day stay, it is usually $5.00 or up. If warranted. Some other rooms we have seen, deserve to tip housekeeping the amount the guest paid to stay. Horrid how some treat others property.

Do we have any housekeeping employees here? What are your thoughts?

Kim
  5. we usually only stay one night or two. I may start leaving some again, I have before but hate the high prices they charge. $5 to $10 is plenty I think.
  6. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

We tip, but it gets me when I see the owners of these places living such high flying lifestyles and expecting us to subsidize their employees. I would like to see a fair wage (living wage is set at $12.00) and no tipping at all. Who tips McDonalds or Burger King people? Does anyone leave money at the laundromat for the cleaners? Can we ASK, are you getting minimum wage at least? I have a few friends who work at various restaurants and they all get a basic of at least $7, most more. The days of $2 an hour seem behind us in many areas, though not all. My SIL works as a housekeeper and gets $8.50 and bonuses.

I got paid minimum wage once when I got a job housekeeping which is what my friend gets working at the supermart and no one tipped her.

I think that people really need a living wage and the minidonald trumps of this world need to pay their whack.

Love Anne
  7. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I worked at a firm that owned four restaurant chains about 20 years ago (whoa! My baby girl was born while I worked there and she will be 22 a week from Sunday!). I did payroll.

The restaurants were located all across the U.S. Some locations paid there employees $2.01 an hour and they had to claim minimum wage on their income tax which, at that time, I believe was around $4.00.

I'd think the maids would make at least minimum wage. And I agree that too many "big wigs" make too much money and don't seem concerned with us little people! (Hope you all read that as my boss!!)

Hugzz
    Greenbean

8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I will not miss a couple of dollars left on the pillow each day at a motel. That small amount, however, may make a world of difference to some poor woman working to feed her family, especially if everyone leaves a tip.

I'm pretty neat and don't make a mess. On occasion, I will give the maid a couple of dollars and tell her it isn't necessary to clean the room if I'm staying another night. I can say it in Spanish because these jobs are often held by people who cannot speak English.

On a cheap restaurant meal, the difference between an average tip and a good tip may only be $1. Again, I'm not going to miss that dollar but it may mean a lot to a kid working her way through school.

Life gives us opportunities to enrich each others' lives in small ways. These opportunities are blessings to us and to those whom we bless with our generosity.

Love, Mikie

BTW, if there is a free breakfast court, I always give the woman working there $1 each morning. Once when I was in Grand Rapids at a week-long training seminar, one of my colleagues saw me tipping her. Pretty soon, the whole group was tipping her each day. She was overwhelmed. On the last day, the company forgot to make preparations for us to get to the airport. There was no time to get a cab as the motel was on the outskirts in a business park. The woman was just finishing cleaning up after breakfast and heard what happened. She loaded us all up in her car, we were sitting on top of one another and our luggage, and got us to the airport on time. We were so grateful that we paid her what it would have cost to get a taxi even though she didn't want to take it. Sometimes, we actually get to see Karma in action. When we are generous to one another, it blesses everyone.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/11/2006]
  9. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

I have held job's were, I really needed the tips, to make a living. Trouble with that is, it's so dicey, you can never depend, on a certain amount of money a week, as you can with wages.

So yes, I am a Big tipper, when I travel, I even clean up after myself and still leave a 5. on the table.

When I go to say, my Classmate Reunions and I know I will be there at least 2 or more, I just, have then Maid, give me some fresh towels if needed, and coffee, if there's coffee maker in the room.
    I usually give them a couple of dollars.

Then leave a bigger tip when I leave.

When I was a Cocktail waitress, I usually wasn't tipped much by the Ladies, I didn't care, they got the same great service, lol, as from the Guys that did tip.
    Most of the Women who were single and could hardly afford a Babysitter, would leave the Quater on my tray, and than Meant so much to me, because I knew it was a stretch for them.

Anyway, I do agree with Mikie, you can never know how much that 2 dollars or whatever, can mean to a person, add that 2 dollars to other 2 dollars can add up to paying the Gas bill or buying Food. You never know.

Now when I tried to work as a Food Server in a Nice upscale Resturant, I got Big tips, but the work was so hard on my back and feet, and I was young then.
    Lugging those huge trays, and the rack to set it on, hurt my shoulders and neck too.
    The Tips helped me to pay for Massages, lol.

If you can afford it, leave a tip, if the person has given you good service. If you cannot leave a big tip, leave a dollar even if its in change. ;o)
    You have Blessed someone by doing that. Is the way I look at it.

Hug's
    sharonk
  10. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I think most of us who ever worked as a waitress/waiter/bartender etc., over tip. I do and I'm glad to do it.

I lived on tips for years. The wages went for rent, car payment, insurance, etc., the tips are what bought groceries, clothes, etc.

Best place I ever worked for tips was Longacres race track. I could make up to $300 on a good day. Besides tips a lot of customers would place bets for me. My husband was a groom (I had been before, but bartending was easier!) so we knew the horses pretty well. I'd give the customers tips on the horses and they would give me tips!

Hugzz
    Greenbean

11. shootingstar

shootingstar New Member

Some payrolls are set up so employees get a "free" meal, but are compensated less than minimum wage. I worked as an assistant bookkeeper in a restaurant in California where this was the case. I also worked as a waitress for a summer while attending college. Yes, I tend to overtip.

Although there are exceptions jobs where tips are customary usually have no benefits, no sick leave, no paid vacation -- nothing. I'd rather see everyone paid a fair wage and have medical, vacation time, sick leave etc., but that is not the case here, so I tip in appreciation for jobs well done.