OT ... to Katemac329 and others re CAKE FLOUR

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JLH, Aug 23, 2006.

1. JLH

JLH New Member

Kate, in case you did not see my reply on the post regarding the request for a chocolate cake recipe, here it is again .... I wanted you to see the note regarding the cake flour--it helps make the cake less dry--in fact, not dry at all!

A homemade German Chocolate Cake is my all-time favorite. My mother usually bakes me one for my birthday each year!

I can't remember if Kate said this or not, but I always bake mine in 3 round cake pans. I always have known this cake to be a 3-layer cake.

Also, as she said in her hints, I always double the icing recipe so I can put thick layers of icing in between each layer and also ice the sides.

Now, regarding the CAKE FLOUR:

IF YOU CAN NOT FIND REAL CAKE FLOUR, THEN ......

* For 1 cup of cake flour, substitute 1 cup minus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour.

* You also can try substituting 3/4 cup all-purpose flour plus 2 tablespoons cornstarch for every 1 cup of cake flour called for in a recipe.

* To substitute cake flour for all-purpose flour, use 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons cake flour for every 1 cup all-purpose flour called for in a recipe.

* If a recipe for a delicate cake, such as angel food or sponge cake, calls for cake flour, do not try substituting all-purpose flour. Such a substitution could cause the delicate cake to collapse.

2. KateMac329

KateMac329 New Member

Hello!

Yes I did see this earlier (in the other post) and meant to reply but actually forgot! Sorry! LOL

In our family and all the German Chocolate Cakes I have ever eaten have all been dry. All three Grandmother's - mine, and my husband's two are German and although German Chocolate is officially not a true German cake they have given us recipes and state that the cake is supposed to be dry.

However, I do thank you for the tips on cake flour!!!! I cannot for the life of me find it anywhere around where I live!!! This just amazes me! So I really appreciate the tip!

I have thought about ordering cake flour online before but just have never done it.

Anyway, thanks so much for the tips! I really appreciate it!

(((HUGS)))

kate
  3. sues1

sues1 New Member

Lots of folks add a pkg. of pudding mix,dry, right into the batter. I do not know if it is the kind you cook or the instant type, but they always come out moist and so good.

Love, Susan
  4. KateMac329

KateMac329 New Member

Hello,

I have heard of this tip before too! I think it is the regular not the instant that you are supposed to use but not sure.

((HUGS))

Thanks for reminding us of this tip!!!! :)

kate