OT Update on the beagle I tried to rescue

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ckball, Oct 4, 2006.

1. ckball

ckball New Member

Some of you may remember the beagle I found wounded on my road 2 weeks ago. I had to leave town the next day and was not able to find out what happened to him from the neighbors.

I finally called animal control today and they said he had been shot not hit by a car. His chest was completely blown inside and they had to put him down. It still amazes me he was still alive the hour I spent with him.

I live in a rural area and the man that owns the 100 or so acres across the road has shot several other dogs. So I would imagine it was him.

He has cattle and horses. Last year my next door neighbors had about 10 dogs, I had one at the time. I was sitting on the porch and this van pulls in my drive and the man got out and asked who's dogs are whose.

He said they had been on his property upsetting his cattle and he would shoot the next one that came on his property.

What a jerk, people like that need the barrell of a gun pointed at them. There is nothing we can do unless we catch him shooting dogs off of his property.

I do not know the gun laws in my state but I am going to find out. The other night I heard repetitive shots like an automatic gun going off around 10 at night. Thank god my dogs stay on the porch when it gets dark and come in when I go to bed.

I am so upset by this. Sorry to ramble on again, I just wanted those who responded to me that day know what happened to the dog. Thank you all-Carla
  2. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I am sorry the little beagle didn't make it. They are such fun dogs to have around.

Here in Washington State gun rules may be different from county to county. We live in a county where it is legal to shoot dogs who are chasing livestock, but only when the dogs are actually on the property of the shooter. You can't go after a dog you saw on your property and shoot it somewhere else.

The dog owner can also be held responsible for any injuries or loss of livestock their dogs have chased or attacked. My neighbor shot two pitbulls and a German shephard who had attacked his sheep. The dog owner had to pay more than $20,000 in restitution to the neighbor.

Thank you for trying so hard to help the little guy. I'm sure his passing was made easier by you and the other people who cared for him. You are a hero!

Hugzz
    Greenbean
  3. mrdad

mrdad New Member

So sorry about the Woo Woo. Just hope he didn't suffer
    much but unfortunately probably did. You were so kind to
    try and help and we know that animals hve souls too and
    that there most be a better place for them to romp free!

When I lived in the Sierra there was a Cattle Rancher
    who repeatedly warned my friend about his Irish Setter
    chasing, "running pounds" off his Cows in the nearly
    field. One day Shad didn't make it home and my friend
    found him in some brush at the edge of the field. The
    Rancher had also shot this puppy (4 mos old) that I was
    waiting to get approval to take home! But sadly my
    friend just didn't disapline the Dog and it was inevitable
    that something tragic would happen there in the Mountains.
    Lost a St Bernard a couple years later to an auto bec.
    it would sleep out in the Middle of the quiet Co. Road
    until one day a pickup didn't see it as it rounded a
    curve. So sad.

I Like the story about Sargent Shiver giving Arnold Swartz
    neggar a puppy when he became engaged to his Daughter Mar-
    ia! Maria asked her Father later whyhe had given Arnold
    the Puppy. Her Father replied, " I'm going to observe how
    he treats the Puppy, because that is how he will be treat-
    -ing you." Lot of wisdom there, don't you think?

Take care Carla, you are brave, wonderful and kind!
    MRDAD

[This Message was Edited on 10/04/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 10/04/2006]
  4. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I am having problems keeping my dogs in my yard lately. We had new fencing put up and they are constantly escaping underneath. My dh is going to put up the shock wire tonight, we've put it up before and it works for awhile...until they figure out how to dig under it. They have over an acre fenced and they still want to wander.
    I am afraid something horrible is going to happen to them when they get out. I know there are some mean people out there and would be heartbroken if anyone harmed my pups.

Good for you for trying to help, sorry he didn't make it.
  5. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Even the "Hermitlady" had to "come out" and tell you
    what a wonderful thing you did!!

Is the "Troll" next?? Maybe Anne knows!

MRDAD
  6. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

Yes, sometimes I do manage to come out of my shell....LOL

7. ckball

ckball New Member

Mrdad and greenbean- I do not feel like a hero, just a person with a heart and soul.

Good story about Arnold, I guess he passed his test,lol

Sorry about your freind's critters, it is so sad to lose one

Hermit-great pic- who is that cutie you are with? Did you get his number,lol. Glad you had a good time in Vegas. Thanks for coming out to post to me. Get some rest-Carla
  8. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

It was very noble of you to try and help this poor dog. I take it that you live in the country? Do you have any cattle or livestock by any chance?

If not, then I guess you don't know what it is like to have to try and round up cattle that have broken thru the fence and run off due to being harrassed by dogs. They can run for miles before you even notice they are gone.

Or, if the dogs are in packs, they can even kill the baby calves. This is a big loss to someone who is tring very hard to make a living, doing a job alot of people wouldn't have the stamina or patience to do. Most of the time it is a thankless job. Without farmers we would have no meat, bread, or veggies.

Now, I don't condone people shooting dogs, especially if they are NOT on their property. But, if people can't keep their dogs at home, it is no surprise something like that will happen. It has been our personal experience that if we have more than one dog (farm dog that lives outside) they tend to wander.

If people really care about their dogs then they need to make sure that they are kept at home and aren't running the streets "disturbing the peace" and causing trouble.

JMHO

Raz