OT ~ Updated for Doxy - going for mamo - colored discharge

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bailey-smom, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

This is going to seem strange but it is worrisome to me. 2 weeks ago while doing my self breast exam I noticed a discharge from my right breast. It definitely is not normal because it looks like blue Kool-aid. At first I thought it was probably my meds but my dr says no.

I went to my dr and he said that he has not ever heard of such a thing – he knows about all kinds of discharge but none that look like that. You could just tell that he thought I was exaggerating about the color but after the exam he said the only way to explain it is that it is the color of blue kool-aid.

He took a sample to have it analyzed for infection or bacteria – there is no redness, tenderness, or other symptoms – and the sample came back clear of anything. He is sending me to have a mammogram on Wednesday.

I am just glad that I had a base-line mamo done when I was 29. We have a history of breast problems in our family and that way my PCP will be able to compare.

I am a bit nervous even though I don’t think it is going to be a problem – I think FM has made me nervous when things pop up that are new. I just keep telling my hubby it is nothing and that it will be OK. I am the strong one on the outside and he is the worrier.

Kelly
    [This Message was Edited on 01/03/2006]
  2. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

for you with the mammogram you are having. This is unusual and I still wonder if it could be caused by a med you are taking. Docs can be wrong about that.

When your mammogram comes out okay, wonder what the next step will be?

Good luck!

Hugs,
    Faye

3. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

I'm in denial - I am w/ Faye - I hope it is just a med.

Donnaeil - my mom works for the administrator at a hosp & she used to be a nurse. She told my mom the same thing. Don't you guys go & get me freaked out:) ha ha No really, I don't understand why it would be coming now though?!?

Kelly
  4. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Geez...
    I never did breast feed, so I don't know the color of breast milk. There is one med, called Reglan that can cause a woman to produce breast milk. I never have, but I did have a high prolactin level back in the 90's. Even had an MRI to rule out a pituitary tumor. Turned out to be the med.

So see, meds can cause something like this. Now I only take 1 Reglan a day, and I used to take 4. But the stuff gives me diarrhea. But then everything gives me diarrhea. lol

Good thoughts to you, Kelly... :)

Hugs,
    Faye
  5. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

Mine is only when squeezed as well. I found it during my self exam.

I will post when I know more - I got lucky & have met my deductible for the year. I, too, went online and I found a place that says it has been found to be pink to brown to green - I can't help to think. . .what about BLUE!!!! lol

Is there anyone who has heard of this?????

Kelly
  6. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

Doxy - Definatly blue. The dr took a sample on a q-tip and it was blue. This is what I found on-line:

Many women have some type of nipple discharge or fluid when their breasts are squeezed, and its normal. Squeezing the nipple sends message to the brain and the pituitary gland responds by increasing prolactin levels, which in turn produces discharge from the nipple. The discharge can come in a variety of colors - gray, green and brown as well as white. Some women are more prone to more discharge including women on; birth control pills, certain blood pressure medications or on major tranquilizers. These medications increase prolactin levels in the body. There is also certain life periods when a person is more likely to get discharge than others: there may be more discharge at puberty and at menopause than the years in-between.

The time to worry about nipple discharge is when it’s spontaneous (comes out by itself without squeezing), keeps on happening,is only on one side, and/or if it is clear and sticky, like an egg white, or bloody. If these symptoms are present a doctor should check you.

- According to this green should be OK? But is yours coming from 1 nipple as well? I just didn't know about the blue. I will let you know if I find anything different.

Ellie - Did you have tenderness, etc. though???? The only thing here is the discharge. I wish you could see it. lol

brooksiemom - I guess there is a reason to be checking them. I still think of myself as too young for problems - I'm 33 - but I know I am now actually an ADULT (wow, when did that happen?).

Wouldn't the dr &/or his nurse know if it looked like the breast milk kind of blue? Who knows.

Thanks for the replies!
    Kelly
  7. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

and the tech said to call my doctor on Friday and he will have the results. What does a person do if it shows nothing - just let it drop or try something else?

The only thing the tech said was that my boobies are getting smaller! Augh - I lost about 35 lbs this year and you know where you loose first. They were small to begin with - pretty soon I will need to get a training bra. hee hee.

Kelly
  8. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

My mammo turned out OK - no chg since the last one 4 years ago. There is still a small amount of discharge and they do not know why. They do not sound too concerned because there is no infection or pain.

The dr said that if it is still there this Friday they will start me on antibiotic. I just hate to take them because I always get a yeast infection with it.

How is yours? Do you have your insurance coverage yet? I was thinking that you were almost right not to be seen before your coverage started. Selling insurance, I know all too well how pre-existing conditions can be! Let me know if you find anything out!

Kelly
    [This Message was Edited on 01/03/2006]
  9. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Before I had menopause, I had a green discharge for years and doc thought it was from pituatary gland. However, it turned out it was frm a med I was taking for Gastro problems that raised the prolactin levels. Sometimes when I had this, I used to get a full pain in the breast and actually needed to express the fluid to get relief. Check and see if any meds raise prolactin levels, even my husband got raised prolactin on meds. and had to have a mammo.

Let us know if all is well , but wanted to reassure you that mine went on a long time and ended up OK but still have it all checked out.
    Cromwell
  10. darvick

darvick New Member

I also have had this , greyish green on tissue, I have fibrocystic breast and dr said there was one either close to on in a mamory gland, so it acts up once in awhile. Scary YES, but gave me antibiotic and went away for a time, but comes back. Mamogram showed nothing too , due for another one soon. Hope all is well with you!
    XXXXXXX Darlene
  11. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

I am not having a baby. It was that time of the month last week. I know people think it is strange but it is bright blue - hee hee

Doxie - are you still having problems?

Kelly