OT-- Vacation, Delima

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bruin63, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

I haven't been on a Vacation for 2 years now.
    I usually go on a Road trip, by myself each summer.
    But lately there has been to much going on in my life, for me to get away.
    I am going up to Oregon to see my Sister, but that is a short trip.

I want to go on a Cruise Ship. I have been checking out some nice Vacation Spot's, but, I am concerned about, certain things.

Are they nosiy, because of the Crowds of people that go on them. How comoftable are the Cabins/bed's? I thought I could take my Feather mattress.

I use my Scooter a lot, and would this be in the way?
    I could use a Reg. wheelchair, but then the DH would have to push me, which means he would be with me all the time.
    I want him to go and do things , that I can't.

I know I can probably get some of these answer's from a Travel agaent.
    But I would like a Personl opinion.

I would be taking all my Copies of my Medical Records, and I was wondering if I should take extra rx's, if they have a Pharamcy on board.

Some of my Classmates are thinking of a Cruise, the year ahead of us, is booking one for their's, and I might cheat and go on that one.
    I have friends, that graduated a year and 2 years ahead of me, and we do go to each others Reunions, more fun that way.

Anyway, I figure since my Stamia isn't what it use to be, I used to Drive to Idaho in 18 and ahlf hours, now it takes me 2 and a 1/2 day's.
    On a Ship, I only have to unpack once, lol,

What do you think?

btw, my Brother is paying for this, he's in a NH now, and I am taking care of him, instead of a sister. He almost didn't make it.
    So he is insisting on doing this for me, when the Classmates make up their minds. Otherwise I wouldn't beable to.

I just don't want to waste the money if it won't be fun.
    These dd's are the pit's ya know?

Thanks for any Input and Suggestion's.
  2. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Well, I do not have the limits you do, but I can answer some things. I didn't find it too noisy, but I stayed away from big crowds...we went to the musicals at night which were wonderful, and the beds were fine with me...but I'd take your mattress cover.

I didn't see anyone on the ship on a scooter, but the main ailes and the deck area were big enough to accomodate one. I don't know what services they have for people unable to walk, but tjey must have some because I saw people in wheel chairs. Your travel agent or the cruise line would be the best bet. Oh, I don't know if the cabins are big enough for a scooter ...that might be a problem.

There were things to do on the ship...art, classes, bingo, swimming, etc. etc. Probably you would have a great time. I always worry before and most of the things don't happen...

Hope it goes well for you. Sounds like a great opportunity. Go for it.

Sue

PS They have a clinic with a doctor and nurses. Several people had to be airlifted off our ship. I don't know about a pharmacy, but you could check. They must have some basic meds.
  3. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

I don't get seasick, thank goodness.
    I think I will take the Scooter, so I can get around on deck better.
    I can still walk, and even do a boogie now and then.
    My feet and Ankles and hips give out about half way through the day. So I use the Scooter, for shopping, and running errands.

I will probably just take extra Meds. Found out from my Ins, that once a year you can get an extra refill, for Vacation's. Cool.

Do they still Dress up, or is it all Causal now? I miss getting Dressed up, and I probably will, even if others don't.
    This is going to be my Last Big Trip, so I want to do it up good.

Other ? I know how the Sea air can make the bones ache, I grew up by the beach. Does that happen on the Crusies, or are the Climate controlled, enough to conuter act that Chilly air?

Thanks again.
    sharonk