OT: We Had Our 2 Dogs Put to Sleep Today

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ksp56, Dec 3, 2005.

1. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Our 14 y/o Springer Spaniel, Lucy, and our 11 y/o German Wire Hair Pointer, Hank, are being put to sleep as I type.

We did everything we could to keep them with us as long as we could. Lucy was loosing control of bladder and bowels and was almost blind and deaf. Hank was diagnosed with Diabetes several months ago and we could not get him regulated. The vet said his pancreas wasn't working.

Many of you know how painful this is. I can't stop crying, but I know I will. They have been around for over half our kids lifetime. It is not the same as a humans death, and I know this from burying many beloved family members. It still is so painful.

I pray to God that there is a place for all of our pets in heaven. They sometimes give the most love that some ever know. They are always here when needed.

Thank you for reading this. Telling you all is like sharing with my family, and I thank heaven for you.

Gentle hugs,

Kim

2. dononagin

dononagin New Member

I'm so sorry.. I know how much this hurts.. There is a place for our animals.. remember the picture of Jesus with the lambs..
    There is a poem called Rainbow bridge.. hopefully someone here has a copy of it for you.. it's about pet heaven..
    I know there is nothing I can say that is going to make this ok.. but just wanted to send you hugs and love..
    I'm sorry Kim...
    love, dona
  3. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

They will be waiting for you in Heaven, I know. May God be with you during this time, our pets are family, allow your grief and honor it. Many hugs,
  4. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

oh kim
    i know how hard the desision is and im sorry. do you have any other pets?
    i know when i had to put my patterdale down the house seemed so empty even though she was only small and i now have two dalmatians to fill the massive gap.
    it will get easier but even now i think of her. she had a service and her ashes scattered in a little garden and then i buried her lead,collar bowl and documents in the garden under a red paving slab (she was red) and i come across a stone dog that looked remarkably like her so i bought that and put it in her favourite spot in the garden.

just know and find comfort in that this way was better than having them suffer, my sam lost bladder control and would look around for why she was led in a puddle,i usually got the evil stare so i take it i was to blame :)

if you do have another dog like me, its not about replacing the dogs that are gone, you have to move on and moving on is not to forget.
  5. rbecca47

rbecca47 New Member

I'm so sorry you had to put your dogs to sleep. I know how hard that is. I know that my dogs are part of the family,I will keep you in my prayers.So sorry
    becca
  6. dunnlb

dunnlb New Member

A Pet's Prayer

If it should be, that I grow frail and weak,
    And pain should keep me from my sleep,
    Then, you must do what must be done
    For this, the last battle can't be won.

You will be sad, I understand
    Don't let your grief then stay your hand,

For this day, more than the rest,
    Your love and friendship stand the test.

We've had so many happy years,
    What is to come can hold no fears,
    You'd not want me to suffer, so,
    When the time comes, please let me go.

Take me where my need they'll tend,
    Only, stay with me to the end,
    And hold me firm and speak to me,
    Until my eyes no longer see.

I know, in time you will see,
    It is a kindness you do to me
    Although my tail its last has waved,
    From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Don't grieve it should be you,
    Who decides this thing to do,
    We've been so close, we two, these years,
    Don't let your heart hold any tears.
    Smile, for we walked together,
    for a little while.

7. Empower

Empower New Member

I am crying as I am reading this, because I know how painful this is.

I am very very sorry

I am on my third dog, so I went through losing 2 dogs already.

Very very sorry Kim!
  8. dononagin

dononagin New Member

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

(author unknown)
  9. ksp56

ksp56 Member

I wish I could write more to tell you all how much your posts mean. Your kindness and love, is so overwhelming. How could I ever thank you?

I am crying and cannot type much more. Thank you my dear friends, thank you.

Kim
  10. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

we lost both of our dogs within a year which was hard enough but to lose both at the same time must be unbearable.

It takes a long time to get over our friends leaving us, I still miss my dogs so much and my husband hasnt reached the stage where he can take another dog in.

Pets are members of our families, I'm so very sorry.

love
    Rosie
  11. poodlemommy

poodlemommy New Member

Im so sorry Kim. My dogs are my companions as I live alone now. I just cant imagine my home without them. Its a very very sad time for you and your family. God bless sweetie.
    poodlemum
  12. kbak

kbak Member

Dear Kim,
    I am so sorry to hear that!! It's sheer agony to lose a pet. I have been in your shoes. You have my heart felt sympathies.

K.
  13. karatelady52

karatelady52 New Member

I too am so sorry for you losing your babies. Especially two at once. Give yourself time to grieve so that the healing process can begin again.

I know some people like to wait to get another animal but there are so many out there needing a good home that it always helped me to get another one shortly after.

I have 4 cats, 3 dogs, 3 iguanas, a Cockatiel and a flying squirrel and they are all so special.

I know what you mean about them being with us almost as long as our kids. I had a Siamese who was 16 when she died and I had had her since my kids were babies. I still dream about her quite a bit but it doesn't hurt anymore.

Better days are ahead for you and we will all be praying for your comfort for these next few weeks.

Sandy
  14. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

The pain of losing a pet is so real and hurts so badly.I know how you feel our dog died this past summer.

Give yourself sometime to heal.And I was told not to get a pet right after losing our dog.But my daughter went out soon after and got a puppy.I cried about it at first cause I didn't want to replace my dog that died.I never cried over an animal like I did our dog Luna that died this past summer.Having the new puppy has been fun and work.She is a puggle and full of life.

I hope soon your heart will be ready for a new 4 legged baby.Pets are so good for us.

Sheila
  15. kch64

kch64 New Member

I'm so sorry for that. It's so hard to lose anyone in your family.

Hugs.

Kendra
  16. jhmitch

jhmitch New Member

Dear Kim,

My heart goes out to you for what you must be enduring! To lose one of your fur-babies is terrible enough but losing two at the same time is just overwhelming.

I sincerely believe that the spirits of our pets will be waiting to greet us when we finally do pass on, for, IMHO, it wouldn't be heaven without reuniting with those we love.

Though it may not seem possible, may your happy memories of Lucy and Hank's lives help ease the terrible pain you are feeling right now.

Lots of healing hugs & prayers,

Janice

17. CarolK

CarolK New Member

Endings hurt!! But thank God He creates new beginnings!!

My heart goes out to you today Sweetie... I also know what it is like to loose a precious doggie!! And lets face it.. GRIEF IS GRIEF... whether it is loss of a human or an animal!!

Please allow yourself time to go through the grief and loss of your precious pets Kim! And do give up your broken heart to HIM who knows how to heal all wounds!

I know in time you will get past this... but I pray for you that HIS presence will brood over you at this time...that the God of all comfort will soothe the ache and pain in your heart..... and that HE will fill the emptiness and void that your doggies have left... and that you will know in a very real and tangeble way the comfort that only HE can bring!!

Let the tears flow Kim... God does understand. And I hope you have many, many precious memories of your sweet doggies to bring you much joy and laughter in the days ahead!!

Lifting you and your family up in special prayer today Kim... CarolK
  18. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Kim .. I'm so sorry for your loss .. your dogs really knew you tried hard to give them a good life .. their instinct knew you loved them and did the best for them .. it is heart breaking to have to go through all of this .. it will get better with time .. but be patient, the grieving process can be very complicated .. so don't be hard on yourself .. let it come as it may.
    Take care ..
    Fudge : )
  19. MamaR

MamaR New Member

of your beloved Lucy and Hank.

I know how you are feeling at this time. I had to put my two cats down due to old age... and it was such a painful thing. It is especially hard for those of us with this disease.

I know that our pets are not human....but are sometimes closer to us than some humans! They give us unconditional love... and are there for us regardless.

I know that we have to grieve them... and it will get better eventually. I cried and cried. I think that is is healthy to talk about them...as it helps.

When the time is right you will find another one to love. I know it took me almost two years.
    Actually, it was people on this site that encouraged me to get another kitty! The people on here are awesome!

We are hear when you need us!

BIG HUG.....MamaR
  20. severina

severina New Member

Im with you hon, I know exactly what youre going through, Ive been there a lot myself.
    It gets easier and you're able to smile and remember the good times.
    xxx