OT: What books are you reading? Your favorite authors?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrohugslife, Aug 19, 2006.

1. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

I can't believe it!!!! I started reading novels over my vacation and I was able to read them and relax, and I polished off 5 novels in a three week period there and these were about 400-500 page books. I got to a point where I was reading two novels at a time.

I enjoyed them and was able to concentrate.

I have missed being able to read books.

I have been finding ways to help me relax without having to take medication to do that unless it is absolutely necessary. So I have found that reading has helped me to relax and calm any anxiety I am having. I also want to help with my concentration problems.

Right now I am reading light romance and suspense/thriller, and inspirational type books. I don't like to read stuff that are too depressing, as it affects my mood a lot.

However I am wondering for those that are able to read, what books are you reading, and your favorite authors?

I saw the 1001 books to read list but a lot of those books do not interest me.

Anyway please post and let me know!!!
  2. kat2002

kat2002 New Member

Just curious, what five novels did you read? Which of those appeals to you most? I love to read and will be happy to suggest some authors if I can get a better idea of your taste.

Booklovers never go to bed alone! LOL
    Kat
  3. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

I always have lots of books available. I go to the library and check out 10 or so at a time. No, I'm not that fast a reader, but if out of 10 I always find at least one or two that interest me.

If you haven't read Jodi Picoult, I think you might enjoy her books. You can Google her website. I have even emailed her to compliment a book and she responded.

Right now I'm reading Sailing to Capri by Elizabeth Adler. It's a fun, whodunit mystery. Summer in Tuscany was another of hers that I enjoyed.

A couple more...

Second Coming of Lucy Hatch by Marsha Moyer
    Verbena by Nanci Kincaid
    All books by Barbara Samuel
    All books by Elizabeth Berg
    The Sunday Wife by Cassandra King
    Sweet Hush by Deborah Smith

Fibrohugs, I keep a journal where I write the name and author and date of books I read. Otherwise, I forget what I've read. One of these days I'll get around to doing a spreadsheet and alphabetize the list.

Happy Reading!!!

Lolalee
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

bookworm all my life. Am currently reading:

One of P. G. Wodehouse's silly novels;

The Oxford Bood of Light Verse;

A history book on Norway;

Where the Roots Reach for Water, the story of a mental health worker who developed depression.

CFS has taken away a lot, but I can still enjoy books.
  5. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I am very thankful that I can concentrate and keep up my reading.

I'm reading LIFE OF PI, our book club selection (Do you know about the book club on this site?).

Just finished ENCOUNTERS WITH THE INVISIBLE: UNSEEN ILLNESS, CONTROVERSY, AND CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME, by Dorothy Wall. It's the best book I've read so far on CFS.

Also just finished re-reading the novel, BLESS ME, ULTIMA, by Rudolfo Anaya.

Kholmes
  6. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

Hi Kat,

The books that I read while I was out there were:

Sister Sister by Eric Jerome Dickey
    The Painted Canoe by Anthony C. Winkler
    And This Too Shall Pass by E. Lynn Harris
    Birthright by Nora Roberts
    22 Jamaican Short Stories---I read a few of them but the endings were depressing so I stopped reading. I understood the meaning and all but they were too depressing though.

and currently reading Midnight Bayou by Nora Roberts that I started reading out there.

The next book I have to read up to bat is called The Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger.

I would love to read the Oprah's Book Club books but dang they are soooo depressing, sheesh! LOL.

So I found the Today show's book recommendations, which have more uplifting books to read.

I do the Booksfree.com thing, it is like Netflix with the movies. But they have a lot of the upcoming and new releases than my local library plus I don't have to leave home to try to return back books. The amount I pay in late fees adds up to buying a few paperbacks LOL.

I bought my mom a book yesterday at Sam's Club, well actually it was for me, but I have like 15 books now to read and I think she is almost done with her book so I handed her that one and she was so happy because she was looking to buy this book but it did not come out yet.

The books I like to read are in light romance, cultural, suspense, and stuff like that.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/20/2006]
  7. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

Don't underestimate me there cuz of my age. I do enjoy reading the classics too like Shakespeare, Catcher in the Rye, and the like. Everyone I meet says I am too mature for my age.

So my interests are vast hehehe...
  8. kat2002

kat2002 New Member

I love to read and average 5-7 books per week. My favorite genre is mystery/suspense, but I'll read anything that catches my interest. I am currently reading "Judge & Jury" by James Patterson.

If you like novels by Nora Roberts, you should try her In Death series written under the pen name of J.D. Robb. There are over 20 books in the series about a woman homicide detective in New York. The first one is "Naked In Death".

For something lighter, you might try the Stephanie Plum series written by Janet Evanovich. It is mystery, humor, and a little romance all together. The first book is "One For the Money".

Another good series is written by Sue Grafton about a woman private investigator named Kinsey Milhone. It's an alphabet series, the first book is "A is for Alibi".

I could go on and on but this message is getting to be a long one for me! Oh, I do have to say that my favorite author of all time is Sidney Sheldon.

Happy reading!
    Kat

9. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I read Books by Christine Feehan. She has books that are parannormal. She has several series out that are about every thing from a reac of people called Carpathains. These people live for centuries and survive by drinking blood. But they are not vampire. The males of the people grow as normal people do but by the age of 200 they have lost the ability to see in color and to feel all emotions. Then it becomes hard for them to resist the power of the darkness in them .For them the only way to survvive and not become the dreaded VAMPIRE is to find their life mate.

She is the only woman who can help him and they are meant for each other and NO ONE ELSE. This series is great reading and it has some sex in it.

These books are so great as you can pick any one up and read it and you will know everything about it and how it fits into the rest of the series. Each book will stand on it's own. The carpathian books are called the Dark Series, There arethe One with 7 sisters who are all paranormal and each have different powers with the 7 th sister having all of them.

I enjoy all of her books as they all have so many things that are different in them. I like all paranromal books that have to do with vampires and other speies. They are so not of this world and the ones that I have read seem to just take you out of this world and in to theirs where I find that I seem like I am watching a movie and can hear and feel what is happening to each of the poeple in the books.

I like to read Pick a book and I will read it , I have read mysetey novels and romance novels and novels from the future as well and each are as different as we are .
    I guess that is why I really like to read the paraanormal books. AS they are not like we are.

Good reading to all,
    Rosemaire
  10. kjfms

kjfms Member

at the moment I am reading The Face by Dean Koontz it has been slow going though which is unusual I normally fly through his books.

Favorite Authors (In no certain order):

1. Dean Koontz

2. Ann Rule

3. John Saul

4. Edgar Allan Poe

5. Samuel L. Clemens

6. Charlotte Bronte

7. Robin Cook

8. Patricia Cormwell

9. Ann Rice

10. Jim Comstock (Richwood, WV)

Good Thread,

Karen :)

11. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

I like Rita Mae Brown and Sneaky Pie Brown (you can tell whick one is the cat. LOL). They write cat mystery books, along the line of Lilian Jackson Braun (my favorite!). I also read Robert Jordan. He's writing fantasy...The Wheel of Time Series, He's on book 13 right now, not including the New Spring book.

God Bless.
  12. caperkat

caperkat New Member

I ride the light rail to work every day & read like crazy. Lately, Robert Ludlum.
  13. caperkat

caperkat New Member

Willow... good idea on the list of characters when reading a book! I have to do that or I forgot who is who.

kat
  14. jenemc

jenemc New Member

I am a Christine Feehan fan...i love her books and am in the process of collecting them. I love to read books and usually read 5-7 a week..depending on how i am feeling.

jennie
  15. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

16. kjfms

kjfms Member

for other reader :)
  17. Daisys

Daisys Member

writes very well researched historical fiction. The Sunne in Splendour is about Henry the 8th. It's a huge book, but I was sorry when it was over, it was just fascinating.

She has also written trilogies of other interesting times in the British Monarchy history.

By the way, she has been battling 'chronic mono', which I consider to be CFIDS. It's made her a slower author than I would like her to be.

18. Thistledown

Thistledown New Member

"The Mastery of Love" don Miguel Ruiz
    "The Complete I CHING" Master Alfred Huang
    "The Celestine Prophecy" James Redman (rereading)
    "Journey to Ixtlan" Carlos Castaneda (rereading)

I have quite a pile more to read, but I haven't much time outside work, TaeKwondo, sleep, and kids. I have just learned how to play "Go".

Favorite authors:

Robert Heinlein
    Anne Bishop

"like":

Robert Jordan
    Terry Goodkind
    Mercedes Lackey
    [This Message was Edited on 08/23/2006]
  19. kjfms

kjfms Member

I am trying to remember if I read The Homing or not and naturally I can't but I do not think I have read it. You have got my interest up and now I will have to see if I can find a copy of it to read.

Thanks for the idea on one of my next books to read.

Take care,

Karen :)
  20. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I've found a couple of new-ish authors that I like. Tim Farrington and David Rosenfelt. Farrington wrote the book I raved about not long ago called Lizzie's War about a couple during the Vietnam War, him in Vietnam and her at home with the kids. I'm currently reading an older book by Farrington called The Monk Downstairs. Love it.

Those wanting a bit of whodoneit as well as a chuckle should read David Rosenfelt's books. They have a continuing cast of characters but you could read them out of sequence with no problem. He also has a website that can give you a feel for his style and personality. davidrosenfelt and then dot com. If you write him, he writes back!

Nancy Thayer, Nora Roberts and Lillian Jackson Braun mentioned here are a little "lighter" than I usually like although I've read Braun because I love animals.

I still want to read the current bookclub selection but haven't found it available in the library nor did I find the last one. Maybe one of the board lives nearby!

Can you tell I love to read?? Books have saved my sanity for the past 11 years. If I had money I'd leave it all to the public library.

Marta