OT What do you like to collect??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sisland, Jun 18, 2006.

1. sisland

sisland New Member

Hi everyone

just wondering what everyone likes to collect (say as in antiques?) baseball cards etc..... for some reason i'm very drawn to antique kitchenware and linens also i love gemstone jewlery and books , maps!

I know that greenbean and i like to use antique kitchenware like nut choppers and potatoe mashers and all sorts of stuff ! I have a very old butter churn and it still works great~ also wooden bowls and paddles etc.....sisland
  2. spmary

spmary New Member

I don't really like to collect it, but I do collect dust!
  3. Jordane

Jordane New Member

I dont really **collect** per say.

But I really love Angels and Butterflies!!

My daughter and sisters usually give me one or the other,and I certainly love getting them!!

hugzz
    Jordane
  4. kholmes

kholmes New Member

topographic, state, U.S., wilderness areas, national monuments, national parks...

Even our shower curtain is a map of the world, so I can study geography while, well, you know.

I've loved maps since I was a kid. In the virtual world, I can waste a whole day exploring Google Earth.

Kholmes
  5. jake123

jake123 New Member

Yeah, I love maps too. I have a minor in Geology and I absolutely love that aspect of geography. I can't get enough.
    I also collect glass birds. I have some Fenton and some Murano, just whatever, if I like it I buy it. My husband also will run into an antique mall and look quick and buy one for me if he sees it.
    Together we collect books about Texas and certain authors.
    My MIL gave me her collection of pink glass and green Vaseline glass which I dearly love and I would love to add to that if I could get the room and I will find a way someday!
  6. sisland

sisland New Member

so far we have #1 Dust!! Yea!

Angels! Butterflies (both are nice!!)
    Stationery (Wake can you give it away as gifts?)
    porcelin dolls (May just think you won't have to buy alot of gifts!)
    lovley hats and alot of shoes!!P( me too i love shoes)
    And Maps! i really like maps also they can become very valuable if you find the older ones! plus the education of geographical history is all to amazeing!

[This Message was Edited on 06/21/2006]
  7. libra55

libra55 New Member

Anything to do with Pembroke Welsh Corgis - throw blankets, coffee cups, figurines, pictures, plates, etc.

Have a lot of porcelain dolls so have stopped collecting, too many already.

I also have some Kathy Kruse (Waldorf) dolls, they are soft bodied with gentle faces, don't know if you have ever seen them. They usually have folkloric clothing on. My daughters enjoyed playing with them when they were little girls.

Michelle

8. tandy

tandy New Member

for once,...were not talking about feeling like crap!!
    LOL

I collect Wizard of OZ stuff.
    I started when my youngest was 2 yrs old and saw the movie for the 1st time.
    He loved it!!! loved it enough to watch it probably 40 times by the age of 4.!! He'd quote lines from the movie all the time!
    so yes,... I have tons of stuff!! from clothing to towels to musical plates,ornaments,globes,dolls,games,books,etc.
    some I found cheap,..some were expensive!!
    never knew it till I started collecting but Wizard of Oz stuff is popular amoung collectors!!
    I may sell my collection someday soon~
    Its a shame to have it all, and it never really gets seen or enjoyed. Its in my bedroom on bookshelves. Wish I had a curio cabinet :)
    Have a nice eve everyone~
    Hugs
    Tandy
  9. angellwolffe

angellwolffe New Member

i'll go with the dust also. i also collect minatures and swords and unicorns. i love stuffed animals, sometimes hubby has to take many off of the bed so he and the dog fit on the bed.
  10. IlivetocantoronXena

IlivetocantoronXena New Member

Well this is a very easy one for me . I collect Artist Dolls by Rusty , Fayza Spanos, and Jan Mclean, etc.. I have over 700 dolls some still in there boxes. Though I must admit my favorite ones are my Rusty dolls, some of them stand 4 feet tall. I also love to collect Fenton Art Glass, I think I have about 300 piece of Fenton. The Fenton is very special to me because most of them were my mother’s.
    I have just started collecting Dresden china pieces and some of there figurines. I have started this because it reminds me of my grand mother , boy she had so much class in her little pinky . She was a very classy women.

This was a great post thank you.
    Blessings,
    Michelle
  11. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

I began hunting arrowheads since I was 15 and haven't stopped since. The only thing different now is that I have stepped it up a level in that I analyze and record them in the Archives of History in Mississippi. I have never counted my collection, but I know that I have more than 1,000 artifacts.

I never buy or sell them and can spend HOURS on the hills hunting them on my good days. I am very proud of my collection.
  12. sisland

sisland New Member

different interests!! Glass birds, Fenton art glass! Murano,
    wizard of Oz memorebilia (SP) Fight do you play a musical instrument?
    Pembroke Welsh corgi's accessories! (cute dogs)! lots of doll collectors among us !! and Arrowheads ( my oldest has collected these before!) I have a bad habit of bringing home Driftwood from the River and also if i see an unusal looking rock i cart it home too!................................sydney
    [This Message was Edited on 06/18/2006]
  13. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I used to collect piano music boxes. I purchased them on vacation in different stores and on ebay.

I haven't bought any since I quit playing and lost interest, believe it or not, but suppose due to depression with FM.

Maybe one day I'll get back into collecting them, if or when I kick this DD.

I enjoyed reading the other posts; very interesting to see what everyone collects.

Thank you, sisland,

Bluesky555
  14. sues1

sues1 New Member

Mostly hand blown glass paper weights. I have over 200 of them and 2 curio cabinets and a coffee table in my family room with a glass top insert and a drawer under it and I have some in there also....and sitting out.

I love to just sit and look into them and turn them and hold them to the light and I became lost inside the paper weight..sort of a meditation...very relaxing!

I like angels also,and in kitchen some apple things. My office room has some flag items and a flag that hangs over the closet door. Also a Betsy Ross sewing the flag paperweight. (She was an ancestor).

I have stooped looking at paper weights and such as I do not want to have them over powering me. Right now I can live with what I have.

Used to have tons of shoes and have given most away as with my problems I could not walk in them anymore. Lots of purses and other things.............Susan
  15. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

I used to be a collector and promised myself that I would stop this habit that was really getting out of hand for me. So now I only add to my collections if I find something very unusual or beautiful. These are the things I used to collect.

....Angels (like some of us)..I prefer the adult angels,not cherubs.

....mortar and pestle (from Costa Rica, Columbia, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic and other countries)

....baskets

....candle holders

....garden statuary

....tea cups and teapots

....dessert plates

....cookbooks

See, I told you I got carried away.

Lolalee

[This Message was Edited on 06/18/2006]
  16. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

I collect a few things--

gemstones, gemstone rings, mineral rock specimens, some gem and rock beads, books on these things. They are just so beautiful and interesting, there is so much to learn. I would love to do a home study program on gemstones. I have a pretty big collection with lots of different stones. My friends jokingly call them my "shiny rocks".

My house seems to collect dust balls mixed with dog fur.

and lately I have built up a "collection" of CFS / health books!
  17. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

still waiting...

truly...heart shaped objects....

18. kriket

kriket New Member

I also collect arroweads and indian artifacts. On my good days I love to just roam intersting sites and look for artifacts. It is very peaceful. Kathleen12 I would love to see your collection. I just recently started collecting artifacts, but have always been interested in indian history. So far, I have found quite a few arrowheads, stone tools, and a couple of pieces of what I think is indian jewelry. Neat to know that there is someone here that enjoys this too.

Kriket
  19. JLH

JLH New Member

I have a large, beautiful collection of Fostoria fine crystal that belonged to my grandmother which she started buying piece by piece in the 1940's, maybe earlier. It was passed down to her only daughter, which is my mother. My mother has passed it down to me.

I also have a vast collection of Moon & Star. The Moon & Star crystal is a Victorian pattern which was first introduced in the 1800's. The pattern was very popular, but due to the heaviness of the glass, transporting it by stagecoach was difficult and not practical. It has been read
    to be Abraham Lincoln's favorite piece and was collected by the late Kate Smith. In the 1960's approximately a dozen of the original pieces were reproduced and sold. The Moon & Star design was incorporated into approximately 100 new items which were sold nationwide for several years. Around 1988 is the last time I found a piece.

I also collect Fenton. I buy a piece every chance I get and my daughters always get me a piece for my birthday and/or Chrismas. I also buy them quite a few pieces each year and have started my new daughter-in-law a collection, too. My daughters' late uncle started buying them Fenton when they were about 8 years old and told them that they would some day cherish it--and they had too many toys anyway!! LOL He passed away about 6 years ago, and since then I made sure to continue adding to their collections since he was no longer around to do so.

I also collect cookbooks. I collect them like other people collect regular books!! I used to love to cook and bake, when I was able. I always hope to be able to again some day!

Over the last 35 years of marriage, my husband has bought me quite a collection of diamonds--rings, braclets, necklaces, and earrings. However, when I retired in 1999, so did he from buying me these gifts!! He said since I was no longer working, that I did not need them anymore!! Ugh!!

He would buy me something, then said it was good for a few years of gift-giving occasions like birthday, valentine's day, mother's day, our anniversary, etc. He stuck to it, too!

He said he got these for me with the intention of having something to pass down to our girls, then their children, and down and down the generations. He is really big into family and history, etc.

So all my jewelry and gold necklaces are basically in my drawers now because my hands are too swollen to wear them--I do wear the earrings and necklaces, though. Each child has already spoken for which ones they want when it's time to inherit them!!!!

Janet

20. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I like the dust one. I seem to collecting that and mountains of dog hair!

I used to collect dolls but when I had to leave my home suddenly, long story there, I left them behind.

Also used to collect deer, but then just lost interest.

My sister seems to think I should collect golden retriever stuff so she gives me one every occasion that calls for a gift.

I used to arrow head hunt, but all the Indian artifacts in this area are supposed to be turned over the the Indians. Some people have actually been prosecuted.

So, now I have my carvings and would like to collect old carving tools. Have a few, but am always looking for more.

Hugzz
    Greenbean