OT What do you use to clean exterior windows?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shootingstar, Oct 1, 2006.

1. shootingstar

shootingstar New Member

Anyone know of a good way to clean exterior windows? I've been using a bucket of hot water with vinegar and ammonia -- scrub with long handled scrubber and squeegy dry. They look fine for a few days and then start to show streaks. Any suggestions for something that does not streak?

2. Marta608

Marta608 Member

You mean they get dirty too??? ;>)

Seriously, I cannot wash windows. I try hard but they always streak. Once a year I have a professional window washer guy come over and do them for me. It's an extravagance but worth it to me to have the windows sparkle, the screens clean and the window wells scrubbed.

He uses a bit of dishsoap and water. The secret, he said, although it doesn't work for me, is never to rub, always use a squeegy sideways like making Z's. Then he uses a cloth to wipe around the edges.

Some people swear by crumpled newspaper but I don't like all the newsprint all over and on me.

Good luck!

Marta
  3. FlowerMD

FlowerMD New Member

I love the new micro-fiber cloths for cleaning the inside windows, all I do is wet one with water and have a couple of dry ones. I would think this would work for outside windows too, if not try the windex that you hook up to your water hose and follow the instructions on the bottle.

Good luck with a difficult job and be careful not to hurt YOU!

In Friendship
    FlowerMD
  4. fmfriend

fmfriend Member

I have so little energy and am so sick right now I never would have attempted it but they were pretty bad.
    He and my daughter did it as a team.

He took the screens off, had a big storage container filled with dish soap water so while he washed the window swinshed around the screan ,hosed it off then handed it back to him when he was ready which went quickly.

He used a long handled squeegy with a sponge on one side sgueegee on the other. Just dipped it it a containet of dish soap and water then hosed and sgueeged.Then my daughter handed him back the screans that he would just tap on the edge of the house to get off the exess water and voila!
    I never could have done it and told him not to bother cause I feel so guilty not being able to do much these days.But Im glad he did. It looks so great and we have a beautiful veiw so it wonderful.

Good luck! I hope you have some help!

Blessing ~ Sally
  5. meme11

meme11 New Member

I can't even get the inside of my windows clean anymore, without streaks. I never remember having a problem using just windex and paper twels, lately every window I clean streaks, my mother and aunt says the same thing. Have they changed windex? Have the windows got some kind of substance on them that makes them streak. What is up?
  6. shootingstar

shootingstar New Member

Yes, it gets to be a huge job. Wish I had the kind of windows you can turn and wash from the inside -- or better yet some that miraculously self-clean!

I think I'll try a few drops of dish soap and squeegy, then a final dry with micro-fiber cloth.

Thank you for all your suggestions. People here always come through! I appreciate the help.
  7. sueliza

sueliza New Member

Never wash windows with the sun shining on them - it is supposed to make them streaky.

Of course this is always when I want to clean them because I can tell they are dirty!!

8. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

since I was a kid. In those days people used vinegar or the only cleaner on the market, Windex.
  9. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I was in despair as to what to clean windows and mirrors w/ because of chemical sensitivity, but a friend gave me a great tip, just dishsoap and water and it works better than windex. You get any streaks off after w/ a lint free cloth, but they don't streak like w/ Windex because Windex has teflon in it.

WINDEX HAS TEFLON, that's why it streaks. Teflon is terrible for the environment btw and its in fgar too many things these days. You can get clothes and tons of household things treated w/ teflon, I even saw bedding w/ teflon, ack.

Another friend swears by those special cloths for windows. She says you just need water and rub. For esp dirty windows, she says its best to prewash w/ some soap and rag, but the clothes are washable too. I haven't tried them yet, but plan on it.

Jeanne
  10. TerryS

TerryS Member

Heck, I can't even manage to keep the interior of the house clean!

Never tried to clean the exterior of the windows. My hubby pressure washes the house once a year and it gets taken care of them...never seen any streaks!

TerryS
  11. carebelle

carebelle New Member

but old news papers shine them up great only use plastic gloves or the ink gets all over you.

They really work just wash them down and use the paper to dry and shine. :)
  12. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Sounds to me like the very best solution is good husbands!

Marta
  13. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

we live on a farm, were LOTS of flys like to live, PLUS, we have 14 windows on our house.

Needless to say, there is NO way I can keep them clean. When we still had cattle the flies were just awful. My windows are covered in fly poo and dirt.

I cleaned one of my windows last week, inside and out, screen and inbetween [what a mess!] and it took days to recoop from it.

Only 13 more to go!!! :S

Raz
    p.s. I first washed them with warm water with dish soap, and then finished off with Windex and paper towel.[This Message was Edited on 10/02/2006]
  14. Luxuria

Luxuria New Member

My mom gave me a great tip a few years ago and it works AMAZING!

About a teaspoon full of Avon Bubble bath in warm water with paper towels. Your windows will sparkle and NO STREAKS!!! This also works great in a spray bottle for glass coffee table, mirrors, etc. I keep a spray bottle full all the time for cleaning.

Bekah
    [This Message was Edited on 10/02/2006]
  15. srollins

srollins New Member

i use a guy named Gene!
  16. shootingstar

shootingstar New Member

The solution is good husbands -- however I am very content being single at this point in my life so that is definitely not an option! Thank you everyone for all the suggestions.