OT What kind of gas guzzeling vehicle do you drive?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by marilynb, Apr 21, 2006.

1. marilynb

marilynb New Member

We have a Durango V8 & a Ford F150 Supercrew V8.
    I am thinking very seriously of trading in the PU for a smaller car like a Corolla or Civic or small Mazda.
    I already drive 27 miles one way to work. In a few months, my job will be moving another 10 miles away, so I need to do something fast.

I am afraid of going from something so large where I feel safe in, to something so small. I don't know what to do. I don't want to spend a lot of money on a new vehicle, but with the gas prices so high, I don't know what else to do.
    If my Pu was paid for, I wouldn't worry about it so much.

Marilyn
    [This Message was Edited on 04/21/2006]
  2. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

I love my Saturn. The next car I get will be a hybrid, though it could be a while because my Saturn is going strong. Gets good mileage too!
  3. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

not too bad as far as gas but before that I had a subaru impreza & that was great on gas. AMY
  4. marilynb

marilynb New Member

What kind of Saturn do you have? That is another one I was looking at. I think it is the ION. I have never driven a Saturn before. So they are pretty good cars, huh?

Marilyn
  5. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

.. is a 1999 SL1. I have never had a bit of trouble with it. The few little things (a weight fell off my wheel once! lol) are fixed with no hassle. I have had regular maintenance and stuff like the brakes, but that is to be expected. And she has been driven all over the east coast and up to North Dakota and back. I love my Saturn!
  6. proteinlady

proteinlady New Member

I've been driving my corolla for 7 yr. Great mileage. The doors are steel beam reinforced and the safety rating is good. It only has front (both side air bags. The new corollas (as of last year) also have side impact air bags. My next car will be another corolla or a matrix (toyota).

Hubby drives a suburu forester and loves it. The mileage is not as good as the corolla but significantly better than other SUVs. The forester has excellent safety ratings for both front and side impact. side air bags are standard and extra. It's a smooth ride. I cherish my time in it when I get the chance.

Paula
  7. Bren5

Bren5 New Member

I also drive a Dodge Durango (it's my second Durango and I love the power of a Hemi. DH drives a Dakota, they're both big and gas guzzlers. Although I like sitting up higher and do feel safer with a bigger vehicle, I'm ready to step down to a car. My Durango is only 2 years old, so I have a while to go. A car will also be easier to get into and park, lol.
  8. marilynb

marilynb New Member

Since I drive a V8 now, if I do go to a 4 cyl, I know I will miss the power. I am afraid I may think I still have the power & pull out into traffic expecting to be able to go & having to wait to catch up. That is one of my concerns. But then gas is the big one right now. I am just torn on what to do & still be safe.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Marilyn
  9. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

years ago I went from an 8 cylinder to a 4 cylinder. I nearly got myself ran over by a tractor trailer. I kept the 4 cylinder a whole three months before trading it in for another 8 cylinder.

Now I drive a 2003 Jeep Liberty V-6. Better on gas than a lot of SUVs, but I hate it when I drop $30+ dollars for a tank of gas. Have to say I love the Jeep though. Never gives me any trouble at all.

Linda
  10. tinypillar

tinypillar New Member

I drive a 2003 Forester and I absolutely love it. My previous car was a Chevy 4 door metro and I never felt safe in that car, I'd get wipped all over the road when passing a truck or if it was windy. I feel very safe in my Forester and I like the safety record as well as the great visibility for lane changing. It's decent on gas, but obviously not as good as a car built for fuel economy.

My boyfriend drives a 2005 WRX, and we both love his car. The gas mileage I believe is a bit better (mine is an automatic and his is manual w/ turbo), and has nice power for a great price. The ride is a bit stifer in the WRX, but the seats I find more comfortable than my car. The WRX handles better as well. Both are all wheel drive.
  11. kjfms

kjfms Member

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport.

I would trade it in for a smaller car but I need 4-Wheel Drive here in the mountains especially in the winter...LOL

Thanks,

Karen
  12. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

hi i have a mondeo 1.8 turbo diesal (i want an estate if any one here wants a trade lol)- a mere baby against your motors :) i adore the subaru forester but couldnt afford to run one. the goverment here are planning a massive tax hike on our 4x4 road tax so its just not worth it esp as i am only semi rural. my hub wants a toyota hilux surf with chrome runners/mirrors and so on :)

13. jakeg

jakeg New Member

I think I can beat the cost to fill your tank with my truck. It is a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab with the long bed.

This truck is 24' long. I went to the gas station yesterday figuring I'd fill the tank before it goes up again.

I already had 1/2 tank.

When I was done pumping and put the nozzle back I was shocked at what the cost was.

$74.45

These gas prices need to go way down. I guess I'll have to keep the tank above the 1/2 way mark.

Jake
    [This Message was Edited on 04/22/2006]
  14. elastigirl

elastigirl New Member

It's so funny you posted that. My brother and I were discussing just the other day how we never see these on the road anymore.

We live out in a country-ish area where there used to be tons of these on the road. Now, nada. I can count maybe one or two max (excluding company vehicles) everytime I go into town. Now I see why!

I've been driving my father's Pontiac Grand Am, which gets great mileage, TG.
  15. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear marilyn,
    I, also, have a Saturn. It gets pretty good mileage and the way I've trimmed down my driving, I only have to fill my 10 gallon tank, once a month. I love my Saturn!

I used to drive a VW SuperBeetle. It was small, but I felt very safe. The only reason I sold it was that it was rather light, and I drove to work along the coast. Sometimes gusts of wind would spin the car, and I was scared of being pushed off a cliff. Otherwise, I made it through many harrowing siutuations in my little bug. Small does not always mean unsafe. Nowadays many cars are built so that the driver is in a really strong steel cage.

Good luck in your search.
    Terry
  16. marilynb

marilynb New Member

OMG Jake. Your truck must have a very big tank. I would have to stop eating if I had to fill that very often.

Terry, what kind of Saturn do you have? I am really thinking about looking at one. Although, I am still a little afraid of dropping down in cylinders.

I am also going to check into the Forrester. I have not seen that one yet.

Thanks to all that replied.

Marilyn
  17. jakeg

jakeg New Member

Yes it does. If I remember right it's somewhere in between 32 and 36 gallons.

And no the mileage is not that great either. Last time I checked it was about 12 mpg. I don't drive very often though, usually to the docs or my home in the mountains which is about a 2 hour drive from where I live.

Jake
  18. fivesue

fivesue New Member

2003 Honda Accord...great car and great mileage.

1993 Dodge diesel pick up. When diesel was cheap, it was great....)-:

Not too bad as we live in a small area and don't use more that a tank of gas a month in either. Sometimes it's less.

However, summer's coming....
  19. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

My husband just purchased another Hummer in December. He drives 800 to 1200 miles a week. He is reimbursed for mileage but there is no way it can off set what this vehicle is costing us. I still can't understand him or what he thinks. It does drive well but for the cost and the gas, he should have really thought about it.

I have an 2004 Acura RL. We purchased it a few months before I had to leave my job because of this DD. I was managing a bank at the time and I needed a good vehicle. I had one before and kept it for 10 years. Great vehicle but now I may use it once a month. Parents use it to drive me to my appointments. I have offered to sell it and get something cheaper.

What is it they say about men and their toys???

20. marilynb

marilynb New Member

12 miles a gallon. Jake I think you win the prize. I can't even imagine.....

Marilyn