OT: what's a 'stick' of butter please?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Smiffy, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Help - please could one of you lovely Americans tell me how much a 'stick' of butter & a 'cup' of something should weigh in ounces or grams? Also, what is 'wonder cocoa' please? I'm trying to follow some low carb recipes. Thankyou!
  2. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Vike, you are 10 stone 5 lb

A stone is 14 pounds - thank goodness we've gone metric! I'm shortly moving back to near Bath, can't wait. Hope you enjoyed your time there.

Doxy, thank you that's brilliant! I'd love some low carb desert & biscuit/cookie recipes wth Splenda if you have any. Atkins have gone out of business over here just as I started the low carb diet, & their mixes aren't available.

Thanks so much, I just knew one of you would help 'cos you're all so kind!

3. tonakay

tonakay New Member

but Smiffy thank you very much for the explanation of a 'stone'. I am an avid reader and have run across that many times and often what it equaled out to be...

thanks again, learn something every day!

Hugz,
    Tona
  4. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I remember in the late 1960s, I think it was, the US was supposed to "go metric" (considering we are one of only three countries in the world NOT using the metric system) we school kids were learning more about it than usual. Then for some reason this changeover never happened, other than minimally; school kids still learn about it & classrooms have meter sticks, our rulers have inches on one side and centimeters on the other, but we basically still use our inches, cups, pounds, etc.

I remember thinking how much easier it'd be to have everything measured in multipliers of 10...naive kid that I was. As much as the US claims to be progressive, I think the powers that be realized how much we actually hate change here....we could never have gone to the Euro, for example, currency-wise. In years gone by, our gov't came out with a $2 bill---that went over like a lead balloon...anyone seen one of those lately???

Oh, well....vive la difference, I guess!

I was glad to have a "stone" defined, though, and to hear that it was 14 pounds...now that's a goofy multiplier we Americans can relate to!!

Hugs,
    Pam

5. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Don't be too envious Pam,due to lack of proper ruling from our government, we have now been using both systems at the same time for years; it's incredibly confusing! In supermarkets some weights are given in imperial & some in metric to stop us comparing prices. When I was teaching it seemed so silly to have to teach the poor children both.

Vike, I can't move to near lovely Bath until this place is sold it's been on the market four months :-(
  6. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Thanks for the encouraging words Vilke! Am making my son paint his bilious custard yellow (my fault, it really looked primrose in the shop)bedroom walls a paler colour. Hopoe you are well enough to visit Bath again one day.