OT - what's your favorite book?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shannonsparkles, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

I read most of the time, so I'm always looking for the next good novel. What are some books you like?

Books I would share, if you like fantasy, are the Harry Potter series, Watership Down, and the Narnia books by C.S. Lewis.

I also read 'The Long Walk' by Slavomir Rawicz recenty. It was a survival story about some men who escaped from a prison camp in Siberia and walked to India.

What books do you like?
    ((())) Shannon

2. windblade

windblade Active Member

I love the fantasy stories of Narnia, and the adult
    'space trilogy' by C.S. Lewis; also The Lord of the Rings.
    I just saw the Harry Potter DVD 'The Prisoner of Azhkaban'
    which I had to watch twice; it was so rich in imagination.
    Margaret Maron is a favorite mystery writer of mine;
    she captures Southern life so well; and Tony Hillerman's
    Navajo culture and the Southwest is vividly described in
    his mysteries.
    I could go on all night about favorite books!!!
    I love learning about different places and cultures, too.
  3. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

I love the Rita Mae Brown "Sneaky Pie" books, especially since I have a Corgi and a cat!

I also love the "Narnia Tales", "The Lord or the Rings", "The Hobbit" and such,

Foremost among my favorites are REALLY good chilren's books, like "Lassie Come Home", "Where The Red Fern Grows", "The Secret Garden" and "Anne fo Green Gables". In fact, "Anne of Green Gables" really ifluenced my writing style as a child. Some of it is still with me.

"She Who Remembers" is a great book, as well as "The Mists of Avalon". (Sooooooo much better than the TV production!).

This is a good thread. Thanks.
    Terry
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

Well, I hate to say that I don't read books.

I prefer magazines. I receive many, many magazines! Like Good Housekeeping, Ladies' Home Journal, Southern Living, Taste of Home, Soap Opera Digest, Soap Opera Weekly, Diabetes Self-Management, Diabetes Forecast, Arthritis Today, etc.

I do order many cookbooks and read them -- I am a collector of cookbooks.

Janet
  5. tngirl

tngirl New Member

I read all the time. It is my favorite way to escape and a long time passion of mine. I like romance, suspense and the occasional mystery. I have several favorite authors

Suzanne Brockmann
    Karen Robards
    Susan Elizabeth Phillips
    Kay Hooper
    Nora Roberts
    Susan Brown
    Catherine Coulter
    Carla Neggers
    and on and on....

Right now I am reading Karen Robards newest novel Superstition. It is a romantic suspense with some paranormal thrown in.
  6. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Without books, life would be so tedious! I have read lots, but I have to say my favorite of all time is "The Prince of Tides," by Pat Conroy. His writing is so wonderful, and I love his biting humor. In this book, everytime I read it I get something new out of it depending on my life's circumstances.

I never went to see the movie...couldn't possible do the book credit.

A great read.
    Sue
  7. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

I love James Herroit's vet stories and the children's classics too! If you're a Herriot fan, check out "Jame's Herriot's Dog Stories" - heartwarming, packed and wonderful!
    Other books I like:

- "The Wizard of Oz" by L. Frank Baum
    - children's nature stories by Ernest Thompson Setton (with drawings)
    - "Bambi" by Felix Salten is SO beautiful (did you know that the REAL Bambi had a little brother named Gobo??? It has a whole little chapter that is a conversation between two leaves in the fall.)
    - "The Mysterious Island" by Jules Verne (friends cooperate to make a home for themselves on a "desserted" island. they make their own gunpowder and iron tools!)
    - "Doctor Dolittle"
    - the teenage sci-fi books by Robert Heinlein are fun
    - Elizabeth Berg is a favorite author, modern, funny, real and touching, easy reading

I'm so glad there are so many bookworms here! Keep 'em comming!!!! ((()))
  8. lauralea443

lauralea443 New Member

The Red Tent

My all-time farvorite book. Sorry cant remember the author.

Wonderful and sad and beautiful.

Laura
  9. zibit17

zibit17 New Member

If you've read any Rosamund Piltcher you will like Maeve Binchy and Tamar Myers. For the cat lovers, check out Lilian Jackson Braun's "THE CAT WHO...." series. They are mild mysteries solved by a writters two cats. They are wonderful. I've read all the Agatha Christie mysteries and then moved on to David Baldacci and John Grisham. These mysteries take place usualy around the D.C. area where I live so that makes them so real to me. Every now and then I will read a James Patterson but, he can be very graphic at times so I need to be in a good frame of mind before I start one of his. I can never put one down once I get started. I also read Nora Roberts books and her other name as J.D.Robb - mystery. My next book to read is "BLESSINGS" BY Anna Quindlen. Anyone else read this one yet?
  10. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

I am particular with what I fill my mind with. My favorite autors are Karen Kingsbury : "One Tuesday Morning"- has to do with what happened during/after 9-11, and Ted Dekker- now there is a man with an imagination!
    Razorqueen
    p.s.
    I LOVE reading! It is my way of escaping my pain and "boring" life! I read at least 2 books/wk.
  11. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

Oh, Shannon, I LOVE James Herriot's stories. I read all the vet books when I was younger and wonder now why I did not keep them. Probably was before I could imagine some day having kids to read them.

I have been so wanting to get them for my youngest daughter to read.

I love Maeve Binchey too.

I have 2 series that I read also, one is about Stephanie Plum, female bounty hunter by Janet Evanovich, and a series about a female PI named Kinsey Milhone by Sue Grafton.

Sonya
  12. abbylee

abbylee New Member

In fact, my degree is in English!!

One of my favorite books is Raney by Clyde Edgerton. It's not a deep novel, rather, it's light and funny, and I know you'll enjoy it. I promise, you'll laugh so hard that you'll cry, and you'll find yourself reading parts of it to anyone who will listen!!

abbylee
  13. zibit17

zibit17 New Member

You all have me so excited now I am printing this thread and heading for the library. I am so curious as to what I missed. I want to read the book that will make me laugh til I cry ... I really need a good laugh. Thanks for all the wonderful ideas you gave me.
  14. Scoobsmom

Scoobsmom New Member

I read ALL the time. I love the inspirational ones that were mentioned. Dee Henderson's series are terrific. I also read the spicy romance novels. Nora Roberts....Rexanne Becnel...Johanna Lyndsey.

I chuckled with the reply....to escape the "boring" life. I thought I was the ONLY one who feels my life is so extremely boring!!!!
  15. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

You are definetly NOT the only one! LOL! I love Dee Hendersen as well. But Karen Kingsbury as I mentioned before, she deals with everyday life issues that make sense , but in a wholesome way! Thats what I like to fill my mind with! Its got enough crap floating around in it!
    Raz
  16. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

You might like to try "Where The Wild Things Are'.

Some of my favorite books are:
    Gone With The Wind
    Henry The VIII (By William His Fool) by Margaret George
    Sunne in Splendour by SHaron Kay Penman
    Louise Brooks by Barry Paris
    And the Mists of Avalon series by Marion Zimmer Bradley

[This Message was Edited on 09/09/2005]
  17. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I'm an English teacher who is disabled by CFS (hopefully only temporarily), but I read VORACIOUSLY.
    Favorites:
    Anything by
    Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child, especially THUNDERHEAD
    Bill Bryson
    Ivan Doig
    Tim Cahill
    David Roberts
    G.K Chesterton
    C.S. Lewis
    Currently reading:
    FREAKONOMICS
    MEDIATED
    BLINK
    Just read MYSTERY OF THE NILE about the first complete rafting descent of the Blue Nile; great book.
    My favorite genre is adventure/exploration, especially about mountaineering, exploration, expeditions, etc.
    I, too read The Long Walk by Rawicz, but check it out on Amazon reviews; there is some question about the veracity about his amazing story (i.e. crossing the Gobi Desert with no water, etc..) Check out books on Shackleton, for an incredible story.
    Books (as well as films, The Golf Channel, and the internet) are my salvation through this frustrating illness. Keep reading--and great topic!
  18. BLUEROSE7

BLUEROSE7 New Member

My ALL TIME Favorite is:

**Nora Roberts ~ I even collect her books now, trying to
    find some of here older stuff.

Other Fav:
    Sandra Brown
    Fern Michaels
    Jodi Thomas
    Diane Tyrrel
    Patricia Cornwell
    Mary Higgens Clark
    Stephen King
    Ann Rule

Hugs
    Bluerose
  19. jake123

jake123 New Member

"The Edge of the Sea" by Rachel Carson - more of a textbook

"The Orchard Keeper" by Cormac McCarthy - lyrical tragedy

"Blood Meridian" by Cormac McCarthy - exactly what it sounds like!

"Lonesome Dove" by Larry McMurtry - I read it over and over.
  20. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

Hi I read the Soap Books too, and the DH, Know's to check the dates, he sometimes buys them for me, and he has bought dupes at times, lol.

I have a collection going back to when Soap Opera Digest, the small book, first started, and I won't let DH toss them out. lol.
    Now does that make me a Horder or a Collector, ? lol,
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I also read the Popular Authors,
    like;
    Mary Higgins Clark, Danielle Steel (sp?), Stuart Woods,
    Ridely Pearson, Dean Koontz, and Mr, King of course.

I love John Jakes and haved read his "History Novels" 3 times now. Trying to read his latest, but can't get past 2nd chapter, lol, people keep interupting me, and I fogget what I read and have to start over, lol, lol.
    sharonk