OT what's your wildest Broken Dish experience?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shannonsparkles, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Ever break a dish? Sure you did! And here's your chance to tell us all about it. :D

Here's one of my broken dish experiences...
    Grandma was visiting us, and she was not familiar with how to work the microwave. One afternoon she decided to warm up a brownie.

I remember the result - a shriveled lump of charcoal that used to be a brownie. More awful that that, he plate itself had cracked clean down the middle, and appeared to have melted a little.

We got the plate and brownie out of the microwave after they had cooled, but forever after that we were reminded of the incident by the toffee colored burn marks on the inside of the microwave.
    :)

Did you ever break a dish? Know someone who did? Tell us how it happened! :D
    (((CRACK!))) Shannon
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Can't think of any interesting broken-dish stories, at least not personal ones.

But I was reading about Humphrey Bogart and his wife Mayo.
    Don't know where she got that name. She was his 3rd wife. Lauren Becall was number four.

Mayo drank a lot and had a belligerant termperment. Humphrey named his boat "Slugger" after Mayo.

The neighbors called them the battling Bogarts and said you could hear ashtrays and dishes crashing when they got into an argument.

Mayo was also said to have a good right hook.
  3. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

was working at a glass factory and finishing up college...well anyways...i got tired of him leaving his dishes on the floor...glass of tea in the bottoms still...or whatever that didn't make it to the kitchen sink..

i got fed up one night...yes he was busting his butt off to pay the rent...but i was working as well...college stuff too..

well he left one too many dishes on the floor one day...i would wake up in the middle of the night and walk on those darn things and hit my toes or step on them...

i was a neat freak back then...anyways the funny part comes now...

he walked in the front door and i had a little surprise for him.... remember the old wooden salad bowls....well i threw that at him...it hit the top of his hand and broke the skin...i told him i am sick and tired of picking up after him....

he had is dirty underwear and socks laying out in the living room...i brought some of my friends over before we went to go to our usual happy hour meeting place...i was so embarrassed by what a mess he had left for me...

i knew how to throw a baseball or softball and i knew how to shoot really well...i chose to throw the salad bowl at him...he starting picking up after himself better...oh now we are divorced..

jodie
  4. blueski31717

blueski31717 New Member

you just had to go there, lol

It was on a work day a friend at work brought this dish of bananna pudding, you know the kind " to die for once a year kind of deserts" . Well I just took off the lid (glass of course) and it slipped out of my hand. Well of course me, I had to try and catch it (bad mistake) while I was trying to save her lid, you got it I let both come crashing to my feet. I not only had to explain to her what happened to her bowel ( offered to pay for it but angel she is wouldn't let me) but didn't get any of the pudding. Well I mentioned she was an angel...She went home that night and made me another bowel of the pudding lol only in a plastic bowel. Gotta love her.
  5. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

oven and the heat to the cold air cracked the dish and there went dinnner...not unless we wanted to try an experiement...who can live w/o cutting their insides..

jodie
  6. rockgor

Your husband was just bowled over.

Not related to Mayo, are you?
  7. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

when we were packing to move to Alaska. I couldn't bear to part with my canning jars, so I packed them carefully in boxes and sent them in the mail! Stupid, huh? Especially when most of them arrived in little tiny pieces....
  8. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I was newly married and arguing with my husband. He always had to have the last word. I had a plate of enchilidas and was sitting on the couch.

All of a sudden, I threw the plate through the air and it hit the wall across the room. Nice mess to clean up...

(My temper is better these days, we are also no longer married. He was a very nice person and thankfully I have a wonderful second husband).
  9. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

When we did a major move 4 years ago, I was not a happy camper because we were moving far away from our grandchildren. I guess my attitude transferred over to the way I packed. Many of my dishes and cups arrived in pieces. I couldn't bear to part with them and got a brilliant idea to keep the pieces and use them for mosaic artwork projects.

Now, each time I break a dish or cup (which is often) the pieces go into one of several boxes along with the other pieces of broken china and glassware.

It's been 4 years and I haven't gotten around to even starting a mosaic project. Well, to be fair, I haven't felt well enough. But.....someday, guys, someday...LOL. The funny thing is that one of my friends found out that I do mosaic work (used to, anyway) and she is always bringing me plates she picks up at garage sales.

One more story....I like to decorate with plates and had a set of 4 square plates with Parissian (sp?) scenes on them. Well, one day my husband was mounting them on a wrought iron 4-plate holder. I tried to tell him to put the holder up and then put the dishes in the holder, but nooooo, he had to take a shortcut and put the dishes in the holder first. When he mounted the holder with the dishes on the wall...yep, you guessed it..one of the dishes fell off and broke into several pieces. Poor guy, he felt so awful that I didn't have the heart to say anything. I just walked away.

He was redeemed, though. We found a way to mount the broken dish on an outside wall in my kitchen garden. The broken plate is set in concrete and has a pretty mosaic-look to it.

As you can tell, broken dishes play a big part in my life.

Lolalee
    [This Message was Edited on 08/19/2006]
  10. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

Oh Shannon, I certainly DO have broken dishes stories...

First off, I have this real thing for glass dishes. No ceramics in my kitchen cupboards at all.

So. There I was, washing dishes. Decided it would be a great idea to upside-down-dry my (of course) glass cups on a towel on top of my microwave oven.

Just as I was finishing up, one of those beeyootiful black glass cups EXPLODED, spraying shards of glass all over the kitchen. If I'd been standing 4 inches to my left, I likely would be seeing with one eye now. Still haven't figured out what happened to cause the Big Bang.

Not dishes but still glass story: I did something wrong and the result was a couple of broken bones in my foot. Had to go to WalMart, didn't want to do a lot of walking, so the electronic scooters WM has seemed like a good idea.

Got to the pet department, put cat food into the scooter-basket, pressed the "Go forward" control. The scooter didn't pay any attention to that and went backward instead.

Crash! Uncountable fish flopping on the floor, broken fishtank glass and water everywhere, sopping wet from the waist down me babbling about "The controls on this chair are broken!!"

I am the reason our local WM now has metal bands around the fish tanks.

Another dish story: I made omelets for myself and guest one day. Got the omelets onto plates, headed to the table, stumbled and splat! both plates were suddenly empty, formerly good-looking omelets on the floor. See why I now call any omelet Eggs and Cathair?

"Nuked" a cup of coffee in the microwave. Ding! went the bell, I took the cup out of the micro. One sip of coffee later, the cup broke precisely in half...I guess, as another glass-story-writer said here it must have been too cold in the kitchen. Hot coffee and incredibly tiny pieces of glass all over the floor.

I seem to be in a theme here; perhaps I should stay away from microwave ovens and glass cups?? You think?

Thanks for kicking loose those memories, Shannon.
    Lea.
  11. sues1

sues1 New Member

sara_dinky

What happened after the tablecloth glass incident? Did they apologize or want you to reimburse them.....etc.?

What a story to tell.....thanks
  12. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

The Mayo was no doubt Virginia Mayo the actress.

Once I got so mad I threw a plate of baked beans upside the wall. I had a feeling of great satisfaction throwing it(I was alone at the time) but not quite so much cleaning up.

I had a friend demonstrate the pull the cloth off the table trick-you know the table is set with china and someone whips the cloth out from underneath. He had done this plenty of times and well, but this time something went wrong and everything came with the cloth and apart from sugar all over from an upturned sugar bowl, nothing broke as it landed on carpet.

See what an exciting life I lead(LOL)

Love Anne Cromwell
  13. rigby

rigby New Member

I week while I was still working I was having a rough time and no one seem to care. So I just went to the movies after work. Got home late and everyone had lefted the dishes for me to clean up I threw every dish that was in the sink in the garage and went to bed. My son was digging them out of the garage not sure what I broke. But it felt so good.
  14. rockgor

Well, Shannon, who would have thought this topic would provoke so many interesting stories?

Leaknits: Nice story of trashing the fishtanks at Walmart. Now we know why you have "Leak" in your name.

Anne: Nope, not Virgina Mayo. Mrs. Bogart has a weird last name too: something like Mayo Methot.

When you live in Los Angles, you are never too far from show biz. The guy who used to do my taxes did them for Virgina Mayo too. Had an autographed picture of her on the wall.
  15. millennia

millennia New Member

Am I the only one who actually got hurt from my broken dish story? When I was a teenager (maybe 15 or 16), I was making my mother a pot of coffee one morning. I was washing out the pot from the coffee maker and trying to scrub out the stains on the bottom (Boy, I was a good kid). Anyway, the pot was wet and soapy and slipped out of my hands, I tried to catch it and it hit the counter and shattered into a million pieces. One of those pieces sliced my thumb open, almost severing the tendon. Well I have this habit, when I hurt myself, of shaking my hand up and down. That's exactly what I did here. I started screaming and waving my hand wildly in the air. By the time my mother got downstairs, the entire kitchen was covered in blood. We ran to the ER, leaving the kitchen covered in blood. I can only imagine what my brother would have thought if it he had come home when he was supposed to and seen it!!! It's a good 15 years later and I still have a huge scar and nerve damage. And not too long ago I met someone with a big bandage on their hand who told me almost the same exact story. Be careful with those glass coffee maker pots, they're nasty things!!!!
  16. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

it laid there wide open..the glass i was washing out decided to burst from some reason...i can't remmeber if i bumped the glass on something...but it healed and the skin is raised you can see...atleast i didn't lose my finger tip..

jodie
  17. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Millenia, I remember one other person who got hurt by broken glass.

My brother was in a temper, and he punched the table. Little white correlle shards miraculously scattered to every corner of the room with a loud boom. In that eiery stunned silence after the crash, I said to my brother, who looked a little dazed, "Dave, you broke a plate." Another pause. "And you hurt your hand." He spent a lot of time that day picking glass shards out of his knuckles and vaccuming the carpet.

Donnaiel, ty for liking the topic. I got the idea from someone's thread on plastics that are safe to use in the microwave. ;) Brings back memories. I think my all time favoite thread like this one was the thread about people's baby shoes. Such wonderful memories are tied up with those little shoelaces. (( ))

This isn't a glass story, but I melted a plastic coffee maker in the oven once. Dad had the habit of using the oven as a drying rack, and of course you don't usually check to see if it's all clear before turning it on. The pot looked like something from a Salvidor Dahli painting after that.

((( ))) :) Shannon
  18. day2day

day2day Member

I was having a huge flare at the time, and my memory skills were not at peak. I was heating up leftovers and put the dish on the gas stove burner, turned the burner and walked away.

I had lost my home so was living in a shelter for kids and mom ( paid 30 percent of my income, was working full time), the fire alarm was hard wired and also alerted the fire department when it went off.

Next thing I know the fire alarm went off, kitchen and some other rooms filled with smoke, dish was broken and a small fire in kitchen. Many fire trucks ( and some very cute firemen), not one of my high points in the embarrasment department.
  19. jake123

jake123 New Member

My husband is a lawyer and he was on his way to court one day and thought he would get some mexican food at our favorite place. He got his food and wolfed it down and then was going to move the plate to the other side of the table so he could read his file only the plate flew out of his hands onto the floor.
    He said it looked like he finished his food and just threw the plate on the floor.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/31/2006]
  20. jake123

jake123 New Member

My first husband was very tall, 6'3", while I am very short, 5'1". When we got married we lived in a trailer house. He put all the kitchen dishes up in the top cabinets. No way could I reach them. It was proven too when one afternoon I tried to get a glass baking dish from the top cabinet and dropped directly on top of my foot. The glass shattered and I had one serious hematoma plus a cut on the bottom of my foot. Point made.

[ advertisement ]