OT: Where in the World was this photo taken?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kholmes, Jul 22, 2006.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Here's a new one.

Kholmes
    [This Message was Edited on 07/22/2006]
  2. ckball

ckball New Member

Mill College in the foothills of Oakland, CA
  3. kholmes

kholmes New Member

First clues: wrong country, but thanks for getting the guessing going!

Kholmes
  4. Empower

Empower New Member

Vatican CIty?
  5. spacee

spacee Member

on Vatican City. When the Pope John died, if I remember correctly, there was a large space where the people gathered to watch for the smoke. If there is a large space, I don't see it.

Other than that, I've got nothing.

Spacee

6. kholmes

kholmes New Member

time for a clue:

The end of a famous 1970s film was shot in this town, somewhere in Europe. It was a very sweet film.

Kholmes
  7. fivesue

fivesue New Member

my first thought without looking at answers was somewhere in France, but I don't know if they have the red tile roofs.

So, I really don't know, but my first thought was France.

PS...Go USA in the Tour...Floyd Landis won! That makes eight years in a row that an American has won. Amazing. His last four days were history-making Tour-wise.

8. spacee

spacee Member

Well, it isn't Chocolat because that is a recent "sweet" film.

I'm terrible with 1970's movies, so I will "punt". That isn't a biking term but at least it is a sport! GO USA

Spacee
  9. kholmes

kholmes New Member

win has been incredible. His ride in the mountains two days ago was one of the most amazing sports comebacks I've ever seen.

But, alas, the village in the photo is not in France.

Kholmes
  10. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Wasn't that ride a couple days ago the most fantastic thing ever? I called my husband, and I asked him if he had seen the results. He told me since Landis was out, he had kind of lost interest....and then I told him about the ride.

Amazing is all I can say. Nice to see something so grand happen. And, he's a California boy, too! (I'm a native Californian.)

Glad someone else got to see the race.

Sue
  11. Lulu28

Lulu28 New Member

Is it where 'Willy Wonka" was shot??
  12. kholmes

kholmes New Member

And you've been there, too!

It is, indeed, where the very end of WILLY WONKA AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY was shot (the Gene Wilder, not the Johnny Depp version) ; the scene where the great glass elevator breaks out of the factory and flies over the town.

It is a town in Bavaria, Germany, near Munich. Let's see if you can find the name of it.

Kholmes
  13. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I've been watching the stages every day. Even though Lance Armstrong hasn't been there, this Tour de France has been fantastic.

I had written Floyd off, too, after he bonked on Alpe D'Huez. His ride the next day was simply amazing.

Floyd is an unlikely hero, goofy and shy, but what an incredible athlete. He's from San Diego now, isn't he? It's interesting that he grew up in a strict Mennonite community and was estranged from his family for a while, when he got into biking, and moved to the West Coast. But his father is proud of him now!

Kholmes
  14. Lulu28

Lulu28 New Member

Hey! I guessed "Willy Wonka" Don't I get a "well done" too?!?!

15. kholmes

kholmes New Member

WELL DONE! You were correct, too.

I'm sorry I missed you.

Did you recognize the rooftops from the great glass elevator scene at the end?

Kholmes
  16. Lulu28

Lulu28 New Member

Thanks Kholmes--and yes, that's how I recognized it. Funny, because I have not seen that movie in ages...but it just clicked. :)
  17. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I'm looking it up on Google Earth, but it's a smaller Bavarian village that starts with the letter, N.

Kholmes
  18. ckball

ckball New Member

is that it? I had chocolate factory a long time ago- could think of willi wonka Carla
  19. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Sorry, CKBall. Fill in the blanks above.

Turns out the town is a ways north of Munich in western Bavaria. The village is also on the site of a huge meteorite impact crater.

20. kholmes

kholmes New Member

(the free satellite photography software),

the coordinates of the village are:

48 51 02 North
    10 29 18 East

Kholmes