OT: Where should I go for my 50th birthday?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TwinMa, Jun 20, 2006.

1. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I would like to do something special for my 50th. It's in August. Actually, I'd like to GO somewhere--fly somewhere.

My best friend has offered to take my girls for a week (she's a VERY good friend!).

That leaves me and my hubby to be able to go somewhere. Woo Hoo!! We don't have passports, so it has to be somewhere in the U.S.

Any good ideas? It can't be too expensive either. Price IS an object. BTW, I live in Colorado, so it has to be at least 1 state away! (Oh, and Vegas is out--long story, bad memories).
  2. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

You should be fairly close to some of our national parks.

Check out bed and breakfasts. I got to stay at one for a week ALONE! It was wonderful. I was the only guest so didn't have to share a bathroom and breakfast was designed just for me!

What kind of things do you like?

Hugzz
    Greenbean
  3. kholmes

kholmes New Member

--not so much of hitting the big 50, but of your travel plans! :)

All of my travel these days, alas, is on the computer or in books.

I live just one state down from you. I came out here from the midwest too (but from Minnesota).

Here are some thoughts--at least as western U.S. destinations go:

Santa Fe (can be touristy in August, but I still love the place)
    San Diego
    San Francisco
    Portland
    Seattle
    Bellingham, Washington
    Telluride (but that's in your state, so save that for another trip)
    Lake Tahoe

If you're up for visiting any national parks, the following are especially beautiful:

Glacier
    Olympic
    Zion

I hope that wherever you go, you have a relaxing and wonderful birthday trip!

Kholmes

[This Message was Edited on 06/20/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 06/20/2006]
  4. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

And it just seems like yesterday. I was too sick then to go out-of-town, so this year in Aug. we are going to Durango, Co. to see my brother and his new grandchild (first one), plus it is pretty and fun things to do.

Well, you could come to San Diego, but it is not cheap, especially if you wanted to stay by the ocean. The places there are usually all booked by May. What about San Francisco, Napa Valley, the wine country. The Sierras, and Central coast of Ca. are nice too.

Well, let us know what you decide to do!

Laura
  5. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

greenbean 7 - I am pretty close to several national parks, but I'm saving that for going with my kids. We went to Yellowstone & Grand Teton a few years ago, and they loved it (except for the icky bugs! - they were bothered by them, not me!). I like the idea of the B & B. DH & I used to do that every year for our anniversary (before kids, LOL!)

kholmes - Great List! Santa Fe has always been on my "want to go to" list. Isn't it really hot in August, though? I also want to hit Zion & Arches, but probably not until fall and with kids. I've been to San Diego several times (have a brother there). Love it, but not for this trip. The one that really grabbed me on your list was Lake Tahoe. I'll have to investigate that as a serious possibility!

laura81655 - The four corners area, Durango/Silverton is very nice. Be sure to take the narrow gauge railroad if you get a chance. Beautiful scenery! I like your Napa Valley suggestion. That sounds fun! Happy belated 50th to you!

Thank you all for your ideas! Now I need to start checking prices!
  6. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

Ashville, NC is pretty, if it isn't too far to fly. It has the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Biltmore Estate. It also has (or at least used to have) a natural hot spring nearby where you can soak in a hot tub and get massages for a reasonable price. The Grove Park Inn might be a good place for your 50th birthday dinner.

If your going to rent a car, the best way used to be to fly into Knoxville, TN, pick up your car, and drive to Ashville.
  7. jake123

jake123 New Member

Of course, [ ;~) ] I would recommend the Redneck Riviera on the Third Coast, Port Aransas, Texas. Rent a condominium with a sea coast view and wake up in the morning looking at the ocean.
    Take a long slow barefoot walk along the beach and then back to eat breakfast and take a nap. Then down to either the beach or the pool or the hot tub. Back up to snack around and watch TV or go to town to buy T-shirts.
    Take a nap and then go down to the beach about 5:30 wade around, float in the surf on a boogie board, build a sand castle. Back to the condo about 6:30, take a shower, flick your hair around, put on lipstick, shorts and t-shirt and go eat shrimp and gumbo at Pelican Landing, sit outside and drink margaritas until everything has fuzzy edges. Go to Shorty's and play pool. If Larry Joe Taylor is playing anywhere, get there as fast as you can, but he may be at Shorty's. You will want to go every year.
  8. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

We stayed in Newport, but there are plenty of nice towns on the ocean. Try to rent a condo on the beach if you can (if you go there)...the ocean is so relaxing to listen to. Or, if you want more shopping, Seattle is a good suggestion. Have fun!
  9. kholmes

kholmes New Member

You don't look fifty, Twinma!

Santa Fe is pretty hot in August, even though it's at 7,000 feet. I would save it for a shoulder season (October, when the cottonwoods are gold and there are fewer tourists, is a great time to visit).

Lake Tahoe is gorgeous. I especially like the South Lake Tahoe area, and the waterfall that Lvnlfe suggested--if it's the one I'm thinking of--is beautiful.

Kholmes
    [This Message was Edited on 06/21/2006]
  10. Jordane

Jordane New Member

Hey maybe our birthdates are close!! I also turn 50 in August!!

But I wont be going anywhere.

I would write down the places you would most like to vist. Then go over each of them to see which one out of them all enterests me the most.

Then go and enjoy life!!!:>)

Take Care!!!
    Jordane
  11. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

More terrific suggestions!

LittleBluestem - I've been to NC and it is gorgeous. I'm thinking it would be a bit far for me to fly. Pretty state, though.

jake123 - What a terrific visual! I felt like I had been on vacation after I read your description! Love all the naps! Redneck Riviera - that's funny! Whereever I go, I think some "fuzzy edges" will be happening!

alaska3355 - Oregon coast sounds nice. I'm more of a lake gal, though. Growing up on a lake in Wisconsin pretty much colors things for life. DH loves the ocean, though.

mysticbrit - Maine. That's one of the few states I've never been to (well, the whole New England area), and always wanted to see - especially in the fall when the leaves are changing. Again, a bit far to fly to for this trip, but it's on my "someday" list.

vickiw - I love San Francisco, too. It's been years since I've been there. Went there with Husband #1 and had a ball deep sea fishing for salmon. Good memories. DC is also on my "someday" list. I have a good friend who lives there, and she'd kill me if I went and didn't look her up. I think that's another "with the kids" trip.

livnlife - Bless your heart! What a lovely compliment! (it's those little boobs, I'm tellin' ya!). Tahoe is looking real good to me. What all can you do there? Where did you stay? That waterfall sounds beautiful. We do like to hike around. And, as I said, I love lakes. I think I will definitely be tapping you for more info on Tahoe.

kholmes - Thank you also for the compliment! In all fairness, my birthday is still two months away, so I'm not QUITE 50 yet. LOL. Can't tell you how many days I FEEL like I'm 90! Santa Fe sounds like a possibility for my kid's fall break in October. And it's driving distance.

Jordane - Even if you're not going anywhere, you should do something special. After all, 50 only happens once! (Well, maybe it will happen more than once for me. LOL!)

Gee - it sounds like I'm going to be travelling a lot, but I'm really not! There are so many beautiful places to go. Heck, I LIVE in a beautiful place!

Now I just need to make sure I'm feeling good during that time (always a crapshoot). Fortunatley, summers are better for me.

Thank you all for your fabulous suggestions!

[This Message was Edited on 06/21/2006]
  12. sisland

sisland New Member

Hi Twinma

Have you ever been to the G.C.? it's a place i want to go see at least once! Glacier park is about 16 miles up the road from me and yes it's Gorgeous!...........................Whatever you do just have fun!! and happy 50! I'll be there in 2 years!...................sisland
  13. pirtpain

pirtpain New Member

When I turned 50, my hubby, sister & her hubby and 6 other couple went to Vegas. We saw Celine Dion and did other things and it was GREAT!!! Hope your 50th is as great as mine!

PIRT
  14. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

that there is a hot tub. I live in the St. Louis area and it is way too hot to come here. Chicago might be fun. I always use Hotwire when I have to go to Chicago for my son's college stuff. I usually save about $100 on hotels. The only thing is you don't know which one you are getting until after you pay.

Oh, and darn - I would have said Vegas. My only bad experience there was losing money and my honeymoon with my ex.
  15. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

and lake tahoe maybe up your alley...google lake tahoe and you will get lots of info...they rent cabins there as well..
    i really do not like it there myself...

3 bad experiences everytime i have went...maybe it was the company i was with...then my car broke down drinving there in pollock pines..they basically charged 3 times more than they should have...

anyways alot of people from the bay area travel there...

jodie
  16. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Dear TwinMa:

Last year I had to go to a funeral in LaQuinta in August. IT WAS HOT! But it was also very inexpensive. We stayed at a 4-star place that was actually 1-bedroom condo, with full kitchen (fully equipped) for $92.00 night. THere was a fireplace in the living room, and a pool right outside our door. I was told that nearly all the Palm Springs area resorts slash thier prices during July and August, which are really the HOTTEST times, but it is beautiful.

Florida is also inexpensive in the hot weather months...but you have to be careful not to find all the "tourists".

Good luck.

Ingrid

Just a thought.
  17. Empower

Empower New Member

Can't help you with the place

But I turn 50 too!
  18. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Thank you ALL so much for your fantastic input. I love hearing about all these beautiful places! My "someday" list has really grown because of your great suggestions! LOL!!

I'm printing this out and keeping it in a special place to keep referring to for "where should I go now?" moments!

I've decided on LAKE TAHOE for the big 5-O! Woo Hoo!!!

I'm really a lake person having grown up on one in Wisconsin. I looked at the Tahoe website and, OHMIGOSH! Talk about beautiful!

Livnlife - Thank you SO much for all that information! I would never have thought of staying in two different places. Very clever!

Do you think there's a difference between the California side and the Nevada side? Besides the gambling! LOL!

Love the picture on your profile! I will definitely be seeing that gorgeous waterfall!

One thing on the website that really grabbed me was parasailing. I've always wanted to do that. I grew up water skiing, but haven't done that for years (still LOVE it, though). But, I don't know if I even could any more. But parasailing--heck, you're just getting pulled behind a boat! I'm sure no matter what I do, I'll be sore! But you only turn 50 once!

I just have to hope I'm having a good week! I have felt really good this past week, so that is very encouraging. It's wonderful to string several good days together. It does seem like I can rally when I have to. And I always feel better in the summers.

I confirmed with my girlfriend, and she is happy to take my kids. They will have a blast with her daughter, too. Her daughter is 5 months older and at least a foot taller than my girls. They look really funny standing next to each other! But they have always loved being together, so this will be good for them, too.

That boat cruise sounds wonderful! I have so many questions! Let me know if I'm bugging you too much!

How many days do you think is ideal to spend there? There are so many kinds of places to stay--cabins, condos, little houses, hotels.... So many choices! Any recommendations?

I'm so darn excited! My DH and I have never gone anywhere together without kids since before they were born. And they are 11! Almost 12!

Anyone else besides livnlife who has Lake Tahoe information, please chime in! Any and all information is welcome! Woo hooo, I'm goin' to Tahoe!!!!!!!!!
  19. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Lvnlife's waterfall is the one I walked to a few years back.
    Sounds like a great trip! Why not take a few digital photos while you're there and then post them on your profile when you get back?

Kholmes
    [This Message was Edited on 06/22/2006]