OT: who was your favorite elementary school teacher, and why?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shannonsparkles, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

My favorite was my grade 2 teacher, whose name I can't remember. She had a piano in the classroom, and was fun all around.

My other favorite was a substitute teacher named Mrs. Levang, who we had several times. At the end of class, she would mentally choose a piece of trash on the floor. We would all scurry to pick up any garbage we could spot, because whoever picked up the piece that Mrs. Levang was looking at would get to pick a prize out of the prize box. The prize box had comics, toys, candy... :)

Who's your favorite elementary school teacher, and what made them so special?
    ((good days)) Shannon
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

a long time ago. Almost 60 years. Our second grade teacher was Mrs. Wilson. We all loved her and she enjoyed our class so much that when we moved on to third grade, she moved with us.

I can't really remember what was so special about her. I know she read stories to us and was nice. That's about all I can remember.
  3. kriket

kriket New Member

Kindergarden. She would bring and give us candy every week.

Kriket
  4. lois1023

lois1023 New Member

My 4th grade teacher was the best teacher I ever had. Most of the kids hated her and made fun of her because she was really strict and she was old. But I always thought she was the best.

She demanded that we always do our best and was known for not being hesitant to apply the ruler to your backside if she felt you needed it. But I mostly remember the hugs and praises when I did my best.

She taught me that I could do anything I put my mind to as long as I did my best. She taught me to always finish what I start and to never say "I can't" without at least trying.

LOIS
  5. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Shannon,
    I'm so glad you started this thread. I've wanted to say somethng about this for a long time.

My favorite grade school teacher was Mrs. Curl, who was the music teacher at Rowan Avenue School, in Los Angeles, in 1944.

I remember, she started me out on the violin, and then, when I picked that up that quickly, changed me to the cello, as there were none in the orcherstra. My cello was too large for me to carry, so she would pick me up and take me to school, and then bring me home, every day, so that I could practice at home. Both my parents worked, and they weren't able to take me.

Because of her, I later went on to play in the Southern California All Youth Symphony, and even played at the Hollywood Bowl.

Then, later, in Jr. High, I was first cellist in the scool orchestra, and became soloist.

She was the type of teacher one reads about. She loved her work, and loved her students. She left the memory of a beautiful spirit.

I have a lot of wonderful memories because of her. I've tried to find her many times, but have been unable to do so.
    I'm a better person because of her.

Hugs,
    Terry
  6. shootingstar

shootingstar New Member

was 6th grade, Mr. Stewart. He just really enjoyed people of all ages, and he definitely considered kids very important people. He talked, listened, had a great sense of humor, wide ranging interests. His enthusiasm was contagious, made us want to learn. He made each and every one of us feel individually noticed and appreciated.
  7. carebelle

carebelle New Member

My favorite elementary school teacher was Mrs Smith at Woodlawn Ele.School in Woodlawn Ohio.1963 ,5th grade Teacher.

Nobody else liked her and they would say she was a real witch .But I lived next to the school and would come on the playground after school and she was always very nice to me.

Giving me special little jobs to do .I even helped her clean out her classroom at the end of the year and she gave me a large crock pitcher. I still have it ,its very old may even have some vaule .

If ever I get a chance I'll ask on the Antic Road Show. lol. She said she would never have a granddaughter and wanted me to have it.That made me feel really special.She also tutored me in Math and English that summer so I know she really cared about me.

I'm sure she is gone now, she was really old back then.I think she was just strick and most kids dont like that .

This was a nice memory thanks for asking .

8. Cinlou

Cinlou New Member

My favorite teacher was my first grade teacher, Miss Hollyfield. She smelled sweet like honey. She was very old and nice. That was about 46 years ago. I am working at the elementary school that I went to from first-sixth grade. My children all attended the same school. I have worked there for 26 years now.

I have a favorite teacher I have worked with, his name was Mr. Sherwood. He just passed away last June, he was only 53 years old. He had mythesea gravis. I miss him, so much...we were kindered souls, I am sure...

Cindy
  9. jake123

jake123 New Member

I really have more than one. Miss Kishimoto in the 4th grade who was way ahead of her time. She wore skirts with net petticoats under and high heels every day, she was so pretty. She always had us working on a project and singing. She had me teach the handwriting lesson so she could help some of the other kids.

And Mr. Lewis who taught History in my sophomore year. He was so nice to me. One day I stayed a minute after class to ask about another student in the class who I had not seen in several weeks and Mr.Lewis told me that he had died from leukemia. I cried and he took me to the office and I kept crying and my mother came and got me.

There were more teachers who meant alot to me, it's hard to narrow it down.
  10. jenni4736

jenni4736 New Member

Mrs. Blanton was my fifth grade teacher. She was SO tuff on me. I though she was evil for the first half of the school year.

As we left for Christams break...I was the last one out the door. Mrs. Blanton reached and grabbed my arm. Great! What the heck did I do now, I thought...

She proceeded to tell me that the reason she was so hard on me is because she new I was the smartest kid in the school and she new I could do better than I had been giving.

I had a tough childhood. It was the first time I could remember anyone telling me I was smart. I left that day feeling SMART..and special. I probably wasn't the smartest kid in our class, much less the school, but I sure felt like I was.

I came back from Christmas break a new kid. I was focused, quiet (for a change), and did my homework (very unusual for me). I got straight A's the rest of the year. Mrs. B died the summer after my 5th grade year. I always remembered though that she thought I was special. It really did change my view on life.

Thanks for the topic Shannon...this was a great memory and I am proud to share it.

Jenni
  11. carebelle

carebelle New Member

Someone shared this with me and I wanted to pass it on to this post because This reminded me of my teacher .

LOOK AROUND YOU!

A very special teacher in high school many years ago had a husband who
    unexpectedly died suddenly of a heart attack. About a week after his
    death, she shared some of her insight with a classroom of students. As
    the late afternoon sunlight came streaming in through the classroom
    windows and the class was nearly over, she moved a few things aside on
    the edge of her desk and sat down there.

With a gentle look of reflection on her face, she paused and said,
    "Before class is over, I would like to share with all of you a thought
    that is unrelated to class, but which I feel is very important. Each of
    us is put here on earth to learn, share, love, appreciate and give of
    ourselves... and none of us knows when this fantastic experience will
    end. It can be taken away at any moment. Perhaps this is God's way of
    telling us that we must make the most out of every single day."

Her eyes beginning to water, she went on, "So I would like you all to
    make me a promise... from now on, on your way to school, or on your way
    home, find something beautiful to notice. It doesn't have to be
    something you see - it could be a scent - perhaps of freshly baked bread
    wafting out of someone's house, or it could be the sound of the breeze
    slightly rustling the leaves in the trees, or the way the morning light
    catches one autumn leaf as it falls gently to the ground. Please, look
    for these things, and cherish them.

For, although it may sound trite to some, these things are the "stuff"
    of life. The little things we are put here on earth to enjoy. The things
    we often take for granted. We must make it important to notice them, for
    at any time ... it can all be taken away."

The class was completely quiet. We all picked up our books and filed out
    of the room silently. That afternoon, I noticed more things on my way
    home from school than I had that whole semester. Every once in a while,
    I think of that teacher and remember what an impression she made on all
    of us, and I try to appreciate all of those things that sometimes we all
    overlook.

Take notice of something special you see on your lunch hour today. Go
    barefoot. Or walk on the beach at sunset. Stop off on the way home
    tonight to get a double dip ice cream cone. For as we get older, it is
    not the things we did that we often regret, but the things we didn't do.
    ~Author Unknown~

"LOOK AROUND YOU!"

12. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

Mrs Anderson. She played piano and we had one in our classroom and we would sing anything she felt like playing. Whether it was My county or old church songs.

I thought she was very old and later I found she had been teaching for over 40 yrs. I loved Mrs Anderson and I wish I had her patience now!

Suzette
  13. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

my sixth grade teacher, Lucile Hansen. She made me feel special, told me I was smart, and asked about my music studies. I almost always stayed after school to do extra work, help with her room, and get extra attention! She was challenging, too- I got pretty good with map skills.
  14. Juloo

Juloo Member

It was not an auspicious beginning -- I was actually TERRIFIED when I found out I'd been assigned Mrs. O for sixth grade...she had failed my best friend's older sister, and I'd heard lots of awful stories about her.

So of course, she totally became my favorite elementary teacher! She was very creative, and when we'd finished our regular classwork, she'd let us get into groups and do things like make puppets and put plays together. I remember doing a Christmas play with four friends, and she let us go to other classes to put it on.

The last time I saw her, I was out of college. I'd been invited to the birthday party of a brother of a friend -- it was at a local restaurant. As we were hanging out in a bar, the band started playing, and there was a conga line. So who was in it? My newly-divorced, former 6th grade teacher! We caught up that night -- what a kick!
  15. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Hi:

I was so fortunate in that I had many great teachers in elementary school. If I had to pick a favorite it would be Miss Susan Mendel. She was my 5th grade teacher in a little town in CT, Redding. We were her first class. That was 34 years ago. She is still teaching in the same town, and I have been fortunate enough to stay in touch with her. I learned about the world from her. She is Jewish and actually managed to take the whole class to for a seder dinner at her synagogue. She read the book BLACK LIKE ME to us. She introduced us to Shakespeare, and a small group of us ready Hamlet, and were able to see it performed at the Shakespeare Theater in Stratford, CT. So many of the things that I learned in her class, and from her are still with me now. She truly did touch my future.

I also must say that I had a PE teacher in middle school that changed my life. He has been named Teacher of the Year, and now spends his retirement touring the world and doing workshops and seminars on his special teaching style. He wrote a book called "Even Right Fielders are People" (I think that is the title) and lectures about non-competitiveness and how important physical education is. I have been fortunate in that I have stayed in touch with him as well. I was also fortunate to visit him the last time he was here in LA for a seminar. He used to call us all "tiger"...and it was great to remember that and be able to see him and talk to him. He also taught me about volunteering, which is something that I have taken with me throughout my life.

Thanks for the great memories on this little stroll down memory lane.

Ingrid
  16. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member