OT Windows Defender

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lolalee, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Somehow a program called "Windows Defender Beta 2" got loaded onto my computer and it is causing all kinds of problems. I've tried to remove it, but it won't be budged!!

I just wondered if anyone else has encountered this problem and/or if there are any techies out there who have any suggestions.

Thanks,

Lolalee

2. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

But I downloaded it on there myself. It doesn't just get on there by itself. lol
    Someone must have put it on there.

I use an Apple Mac most all of the time. Go to your control panel and the software and try to find it and uninstall it.

I'm not having any problems from it. What operating system of Windows are you running? I'm running Windows 2000.

But I do most of my posting from my Macs.

Hugs,
    Faye
  3. bioman85

bioman85 New Member

Windows Defender is a spyware removal program, and you should have at least one of these programs running your computer at all times.

What kinds of problems is it causing?
  4. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

I didn't load Windows Defender. My husband doesn't think he did, but he probably did (he's had a LOT going on lately and maybe he meant to say no when he had the option to load the program, but he probably said yes).

We are on Windows XP. We already have a security program that scans for viruses (McAfee).

I found it on the control panel, but I wasn't able to remove it. It won't budge.

Problems are - can't send or receive email; can't print; tool bar at bottom of screen is not visible; when I send an IM msg, I can read my message until I push send - once I send the message, I can't read it, but the receiver can can read what I type; plus a few other strange things.

I appreciate your responding to my message. I was mainly curious as to whether or nor anyone else had this problem since Windows Defender is still in Beta.

Thanks,

Lolalee
    [This Message was Edited on 06/29/2006]
  5. bioman85

bioman85 New Member

I don't know what to tell you - I used the program before it became Windows Defender and I never had a problem with it, but I do not use it anymore. The only other thing I can suggest is going to Microsoft's tech support website or searching the problem in google.

6. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

You must choose to download Windows Defender. I run it as an additional security for spy ware and have found it very effective and it has not cause any problems.

It is easy to remove. Go to Add/Remove programs and remove. I did that to once because I was having trouble getting updates due to the speed of my computer. When I resolved MY issues, I reinstalled.

Try that and if that doesn't work let us know. It should not be causing any problems that you are describing. I run Spyware Doctor, Windows Defender, & Norton on Windows XP.

[This Message was Edited on 06/29/2006]
  7. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Lolalee,
    How do you know it is Windows Defender that is causing you all the problems? It could be a virus or worm, etc.

I hope you can figure it out. I don't think that is Windows Defender.

Did you run the virus scan on your computer? You could try to defrag it and see if it needs it. Wish I could help you more, but I'm just not that involved with Windows machines like I used to be.

If the tool bar isn't showing it is probably there, just you can't see it. Wish I could help you.

Hugs,
    Faye
  8. millennia

millennia New Member

It is possible you downloaded it through a routine windows update, they love to throw things in there. Are you sure that it is defender that is causing the problem? Try going to www.trendmicro.com and do their free online virus and spyware scan. It is a great program and updated very frequently. And like I said, it's free. You can also go to programs and choose windows defender from there, you can change your options under tools. If it is the defender causing problems, it might be that the settings are too sensitive.
  9. millennia

millennia New Member

Another thing you might want to try, go to the start menu and choose run, type in msconfig, go to startup, unclick MSASCui, that should stop windows defender from starting up when the computer starts up.
  10. millennia

millennia New Member

Let me know if any of the suggestions help. If not I'll see what else might.
  11. millennia

millennia New Member

I'm glad you liked it. Lolalee, has anything worked for you yet?
  12. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Thanks so much for all of your suggestions. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, but I had to take a break from trying to fix this problem. It was really stressing me out. I was on the phone with a Dell Technician and he couldn't help me. My son, who is extremely knowledgeable in these things, couldn't help me (over the phone)

I can't get to the start menu. The toolbar that is normally at the bottm of my screen is missing or hidden. I can't get to programs, either. I might have to wait until my husband gets home from out of town. I was hoping to have the problem corrected before he got home, but I don't want to make things worse.

Thanks again for all your help.

Lolalee