OT Xylitol is POISON for your dogs

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by victoria, Oct 2, 2006.

  1. victoria

    victoria New Member

    I didn't know this, found this tonight as I was just getting around to reading the Sunday paper.

    Xylitol is a sugar alcohol that is absorbed by dogs' intestines but is not absorbed by our intestines, so is harmless to us;

    it is used in a lot of things like chewing gum and toothpaste now as it is also supposed to help prevent cavities (bacteria can't digest it either)....

    Now it's being sold as a sugar substitute and used in a lot of products... I have it on my counter for coffee...

    so be careful around your babies!

    ------------------

    Cases of Xylitol Poisoning in Dogs Rise

    The Animal Poison Control Center of the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals has managed a substantially increased number of cases involving xylitol poisoning in dogs.

    Found in sugar-free chewing gum, candy, and baked goods, xylitol is a sweetener that can cause serious and sometimes life-threatening problems for pets.

    The center managed more than 170 cases of xylitol poisoning in 2005, up from approximately 70 in 2004, said Dana Farbman, a certified veterinary technician and spokesperson for the center. As of August, the center had managed nearly 114 cases in 2006.

    An increase in availability of xylitol-containing products may be one reason for the rise in cases, Farbman said.

    While it was previously thought that only large concentrations of xylitol could cause problems in dogs, lesser amounts of the sweetener may also be harmful, the center reported.

    "Our concern used to be mainly with products that contain xylitol as one of the first ingredients," said Dr. Eric Dunayer, who specializes in toxicology at the center. "However, we have begun to see problems developing from ingestions of products with lesser amounts of this sweetener."

    Dr. Dunayer said that with smaller concentrations of xylitol, the onset of clinical signs could be delayed as much as 12 hours after ingestion.

    According to Dr. Dunayer, dogs ingesting substantial amounts of items sweetened with xylitol could develop a sudden drop in blood sugar, resulting in depression, loss of coordination, and seizures.

    "These signs can develop quite rapidly, at times less than 30 minutes after ingestion of the product. Therefore, it is crucial that pet owners seek veterinary treatment immediately," Dr. Dunayer said.

    He also said that there appears to be a strong link between xylitol ingestions and the development of liver failure in dogs.


    [This Message was Edited on 10/02/2006]
  2. misskoji

    misskoji Member

    Glad you posted this! Thanks for the info!


    Hugs,
    Deanna
  3. sues1

    sues1 New Member

    thanks.....I am passing this on...........Susan
  4. victoria

    victoria New Member

    again...