OTC sleep meds work for anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kriket, Jan 8, 2007.

1. kriket

kriket New Member

I take ambien, but wish I could rely on something a lot cheaper. Has anyone had any luck with OTC medication and if so, what kind?

Kriket
  2. elliespad

elliespad Member

I have 2 recommendations.

1. L-Tryptophan (amino acid)available by Prescription from a compounding pharmacist or online. Must take with B-6 so Serotonin is converted in the brain, not the intestines. Take away from other protein sources. I take 1500 mg. at night, and 25 or 50 mg. P5P (activated B-6) Cost between $20 and $65 per month, depending where you get it, and what dose you take.

2. GABA (amino acid)I take this in a product called Rest & Restore, from Fibro and Fatigue Center. It also contains Valerian Root, Scullcap, PassionFlower,Camomile, L-Theanine, 5-HTP, Melatonin. I have been out of this product and using plain GABA from GNC. Is not quite as good as the whole comples, but pretty good. The Rest & Restore can be ordered from FFC online store and costs $27.

Since Ambien potentiates GABA, taking GABA may be a good place to start rather than the L-Tryptophan. You should discuss this with your doctor, since it's not likely good to use both Ambien and GABA.

****Another thought, you might want to try a tea called Calm. It is a TAZO tea and contains chamomile blossoms, hibiscus flowers, spearmint leaves, rose petals, blackberry leaves, peppermint leaves, safflower, lemon balm, lemon grass and natural flavorings. MANY people on this board have used it with glowing results.

You can buy it by the tea bag at Starbucks for a couple dollars. I have seen a box of 24 at WalMart SuperCenter for around $10, and I see you can order a box of 24 online at "THETEA" with appropriate suffix, for $4.95 or a 1/2 lb. of the loose tea for $14.04. I have seen MANY here sign the praises of that tea to help sleep.

[This Message was Edited on 01/08/2007]
  3. whoachief

whoachief New Member

works for me although I'm not sure how often you should take it SAFELY. Anyone know?
  4. PVLady

PVLady New Member

The OTC sleep med I have used is the same ingredient as the anti-histamine Benadryl 25 mg.

Yes it works but you have a dry mouth and eyes sometimes.

5. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Calms Forte (homeopathic), so I take them whenever I need to.

Cal/Mag

ZMA

Valerian Root tincture

Chamomile tea (or combo of calming herbs teas)
    e.g. Sleepytime Tea (health food store)

HEALING LIGHT*********carole
  6. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

kriket:

I add in a little amount of Benadryl, which as most know, is the main ingredient in most of the brand name sleep meds.

nyrofan
  7. FMsolider

FMsolider New Member

I use Unisome max. strength sometimes - between scripts or sometimes to prevent tolerance and it works well. Very cheap. What I like about it is -it is just a sleep aid - no extra meds...god knows most of us are on enough.
  8. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

I used to take Tryptophan, GABA, ambien and anything else that would get me to sleep. Now I'm just using herbal tinctures. About 10 drops of Black Cohosh and then 7 drops of Motherwort (has to be a quality tincture) will relax my twitching muscles and send me off to sleep. I cycle the motherwort with St Johns wort. Motherwort I find it more of a relaxant to the muscles than St Johns Wort.