OTCollege Support Buddies forming...post here for moral support

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CockatooMom, Sep 21, 2006.

1. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

Hey guys and gals! Me, Prickles, 69Mach1 and Donnaeil, and some others have been encouraging each other while we are STRESSED OUT in school.

I thought it would be cool to start a support thread!

So, if you are in college trying to get a degree or just taking one class...post here for support!

ALL are welcome!

Gentle hugs

[This Message was Edited on 09/22/2006]
  2. jenemc

jenemc New Member

does online courses count? if so, count me in...who knows maybe we can all help each other with classes..input and such!!

jennie
  3. kriket

kriket New Member

I am very stressed at times, so maybe I can offer you guys some support even though I am not going to school.

kriket
  4. Manaleon

Manaleon New Member

Well it's the forth week of school and it's been lots of meetings. I keep meeting with the center for students with disablitie's, the health center here, and my advisor(who rocks). I'm able to be at school because of a scholarship. Of course when I got the scholarship, I wasn't sick(i got sick the end of my first semester). They've been very understanding but the scholarship ends up adding more pressure. I need to be a full time student and maintain a 3.0 average. i've had two exams, one was a decent grade, and the one tonight....well i don't think I did as well. But the problem is I know neither are at the level they need to be. So I have to meet with the person at the Center for Students with Disabilities to talk about reschedualing and extending exam times to try and work around the brain fog and fatigue.

I went to my advisor today, to talk about all the pressure, and he's detirmined to keep me in school and keep my scholarship. The only reason why I still have my scholarship is my advisor is on the committee and he is also the most respected and looked up to person in the plant science, nurserylandscape field. I feel honored that he has so much faith in me. Lol i guess I just need to go see him every few weeks for a moral booster.

The other difficult thing about being in college right now(and especially living on campus) is the six most important people in my life are all going through a difficult time right now and I wish I could be there to support them right now. But I think for right now I have to trust my dear advisor. Now's not the time for me to give up everything I work so hard for.

Lol Thank you all for the support.

-June
  5. kriket

kriket New Member

All of this will pay off in the end. I can't imagine having to deal with the stress of learning with fibrofog and having to move around so much. You all ought to be pretty darn smart after all of this schooling is finally finished. I know you guys are very strong, you have to be. Just hang in there, you guys will all make it through. I know you will.

Kriket
  6. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

on my psyhcology vocab quiz...

now i have to really study for the three chapter test...

i really enjoy the class...and the teacher...

math 96% on the test the other day yipee..

and the dragonspeaking naturally clase, well, is getting a little annoying because of the fact that they seem to not have enough help for me..

i showed up at 11 am..like the told me to..today i got turned away...so i went and finished up math quiz and labwork homework..

i went out w/a friend she and i had a good dinner and time..

so now i need to go to bed..wake up go to take cody to school...then off to the therapy appt at 10 am...then the computer class teacher left me a message to call to confirm a class time of 11:30 on fridays...for the dragon class..

then my son has football game at 4 pm...then the exilaws would like to take us out to pizza for dinner...

oh boy...

i better get my running shoes on..

jodie
  7. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

I would like to participate in this thread too.

I attend school but online classes and I must say that they are 10 times harder than classes on the physical campuses that I have gone to.

My major is in Sociology and I have more year to go, Yaaaay!

Anyway it is finals week in my class and I have like 4 projects to do, eeeyikes!!! *ccollaspse*
  8. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

WOW! I am SO excited to see that my thread was a good idea! And, Kriket…yes I’ll look forward to your support too.

I’ve heard online classes are extremely difficult! That’s why I’d rather just GO to the school! LOL

I had a very good day today. My back pain is a little better, but UGH, the constant heartburn is terrible (making mental note to call doctor).

Donnaeil ~ Law school! You just might be as crazy as I am! (In the nicest way possible)

Manaleon ~ Glad you joined us too. Hang in there!

69mach1~ Jodie, You go girl! That rocks you got another 100% It certainly helps to enjoy the class. Wow, and a 96% on Math…good job! Sounds like you have a busy night planned. Enjoy!

Fibrohugslife~ Wow, sociology….that’s an interesting field too. 4 projects? Gosh I’d collapse too!

Prickles~ I know what you mean about not being able to miss many classes. I am not allowed to miss ANY microbiology classes! And that’s the class I hate.

I have two exams to study for this weekend; my first Nursing and Microbiology exams of the semester. A LOT of information!!! I’m going to get organized and start studying!

I feel so much better this week. Last week I was ready to drop a nursing class and take an extra year to graduate. I’m glad I changed my mind!

Talk to ya'll soon!
    E
  9. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

mine this morning...you may laugh, but it is sad at the same time...

my 16 year old son, needed me to tie a knot on his tie...he is like 5'11". i am 5'2" so i had to reach up some...oh i couldn't hold up my arms...i have had surgery on both shoulders....the fibro...etc..

i told him i can't do this i hurt to much to even do it...

if he had his father around his father could'be done it for him...

i told him maybe he could get the principal to do it for him..

he did do it before school started so it all worked out..

i believe i found a profession i can not do...work in a tux shop...

jodie
  10. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

slipped my mind...one more year...wow...

i still need to really consider a major...

but for now i will do what i can..

i had been wondering if online classes were more difficult or not...

my sister does really well w/online classes..but i think she is even smarter than i am...when it comes to the books...she picks up things quicker than i ...

give her a computer she has it fixed..

well congratualations so far and keep on goig..

jodie
  11. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

It's okay you forgot about me in school LOL

Yeah you know with online classes I feel like everyone in my class is smarter than me, a majority of them work fulltime and stuff, they write so well and sound so professional in their discussions.

I feel like a dumb dumb in there but I manage to get good grades.

I learned that I am indeed smarter than I think. I do a lot of outside reading of novels and the classics too.

All of my books are online so no physical books to worry about and try to sell back.

I did learn that for my financial aid that I won't have to pay any out of pocket expenses for school for the rest of the year and they don't see that for next year either which is a big sigh of relief for me.

I think since I am not working anymore I qualify more for grants and stuff to ensure I really don't have to pay for everything. I need to really try to apply for scholarships and stuff but I don't feel my writing is very good.

Anyway back to trying to understand this simulation thing for my class and I am like duuuuh what is this LOL.

[This Message was Edited on 09/23/2006]
  12. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

scholarship counselors...they can help you find some $$$..

and don't feel like a dumb dumb...

if you are getting good grades it's good enough for the teachers...

joide
  13. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

scholarship counselors...they can help you find some $$$..

and don't feel like a dumb dumb...

if you are getting good grades it's good enough for the teachers...

joide
  14. jens2angels

jens2angels New Member

I've been taking them for the last 3 terms and let me tell ya, if anyone tells you that's the easy way out, they need kicked in the head.
    I took Chemistry online and that was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO hard! I ended up getting a tutor at the end because i was afraid I wasn't going to get a C and have to take it again!
    Then I took algebra online and that was awful too, got a B in it but trust me, it was hard work getting that!
    This term I have Comm 101 and Pysch 201, or and Med Terms too and these seem like a cakewalk compared to the other ones.
    If anyone takes classes online, I would highly suggest not taking any kind of Math online, it sucks!
    You really do need to be focused and stay on a schedule. Some teachers are pretty lax on thier schedules and I don't like it. The one's I've liked more are the one's that have a set schedule and stick to it. Most of them are pretty understanding though if you need to extend something though.
    My biggest obstacle is my battle I have to go through at home for study time. My husband doesn't know how to say, here honey, I'll watch the kids while you study. If he did, I would think he got abducted by aliens (that or he really wants to get laid). My 3 year old and 19 month old already go 4 days a week without me, prett much, and i get feeling really guilty when I have to shut them out while I'm at home to study. But i just remind myself that it's for them that I'm doing it, just hard when they are too little to understand that.
  15. jens2angels

jens2angels New Member

It depends on the class I think really for the online classes. I would check with other people and see what they have taken and thier experience with it before I would sign up for one. The classes I have this term aren't bad at all online. But you know what heck I was having with my Chemistry class and my algebra. NEVER NEVER NEVER take Math online!
  16. Gernmeinschatz

Gernmeinschatz New Member

I just discovered this thread - great idea! I'm too exhausted right now to read everyone's posts, as I've been doing reading and research all day today....must rest.

It's so wonderful to see that there are other students out there treading the same uphill path as me....
  17. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i can't wait for you to get into whatever program you are going to end up doing...then you can make some more money..then do whatever you heart desires...you know what i mean..

i may change majors...but we will see... i have carpal tunnel and i think maybe my elbow appt with the ortho doctor on 10/10.06 at 9 am...i can't wait to get up that early and beat all of the traffice it'll take an hour to go 5 miles..i kid you not...

so we'll see if they will do any surgery so i can use my hands and arms a little more...

jodie

sorry i haven't called much the exilaws have been around, not staying w/me...but i did go to local bar and met a friend and had 2 whole drinks...

i went crazy there...lol..

jodie
  18. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

Oh Girl! Yes, I have heard horror stories about online classes! That's why I trudge off to school everyday! LOL

Most men (no offense guys) have abrain wired in a different direction than us. They don't think about offering to watch the kids or vacuum the floor etc...

I have learned after 11 years of marriage to ask him to do what I need so I can do homework and concentrate. He's been wonderful where all that is concerned. Now if I could just get him to show me attention and affection like he used to, we'd have the perfect marriage...well NOT perfect.

Anyway, you get the idea....
    Take care hon and stay with it! We all know it will be worth it, but it's a HARD road uphill getting there!

Love & support to all!
    E
  19. jenemc

jenemc New Member

i love my online classes better than the physical class thing. if i went to class, i would have to drive an hour to get there, sit thru the classes which are 1 1/2 hours long, then drive back an hour.

by the time i would get home, i would be so tired i couldn't do any school work. with my online classes, i do then when i want to as long as i had then completed by the time said.

the online campus i use, we have lecture notes, homework, class discussions, team work, and quiz. usually 2 chapters per unit and each unit lasted 2 weeks.

i guess its just what everybody wants to do. i am taking criminal justice classes and my dh is helping me, as he was a police officer in houston back in the 80s. just a few laws have changed, not much anythign else has.

i also have 2 classes left to finish my psychology degree-bach...then on to masters for both. at least this way, i have something keeping my mind working.

jennie
  20. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

tired... and i need to due my psychology stuff..i isn't due till tuesday..

i did my math due on monday...but i felt like a clux lastnight trying to do the darn stuff..it felt like a foreign laguage to me at the time..

then i am trying to decide on a major...one i thought of was psychology forget the other...but it mentioned pre-calucus..

can't even imagine it..

jodie

[ advertisement ]