Other Immune Disorders

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by KittyCat, May 14, 2003.

1. KittyCat

KittyCat New Member

Hello All,
    Just wondering . . . do you all know or think there may be a link between various immune disorders? My dad had Crohns disease, and I have Iritis and CFS. What are your thoughts? I read and heard that Iritis is actually connected or a part of Crohns.

Thank you.
  2. jka

jka New Member

i feel strongly that my fibro was caused from my lupus.the stress of the pain and just dealing with a chronic illness day to day.i also have a cousin with it.she was ill from cfs for a few years.my daughter has it from car accidents.she's been rear ended 3 times.so i think you can get it a number of ways-but my way was lupus.i was extremely ill for 3-4 years with it.
    kathy c
  3. MemoryLane

MemoryLane Member

Oddly enough, iritis is also a symptom of Ankylosing Spondylitis, a rheumatic degenerative arthritis of the spine. Iritis can precede a diagnosis of AS by many years. Another symptom of AS is bone spurs in your heel, or plantar faciitis in your foot, which sometimes occurs with a bone spur.

There is medical indication that if a close family member has an autoimmune disease that there is a greater likelihood that you may also get one. Autoimmune diseases are not exclusive. In other words, you could get any AD, not just the one your father had, but say Lupus or Sjogren's or MS, but you could develop Crohn's like him.

This is from the Spondylitis Association of America website:

Arthritis/spondylitis associated with inflammatory bowel disease

This type of spondyloarthropathy involves inflammation of the intestinal wall. Abdominal pain and often bloody diarrhea are the primary symptoms of inflammatory bowel disease, the two best known types are ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease.

About one in six patients with inflammatory bowel disease also has spinal inflammation, although the intensity of spinal inflammation is independent of the severity of the bowel disease. In many, this may just be arthritis in the sacroiliac joints, but in about five percent of cases the entire spine can be involved, as it is in AS. Inflammation of the eye (iritis) occurs less frequently than in AS.

Approximately one in five people with inflammatory bowel disease (especially Crohn's disease) will have arthritis in one of the joints of the arms and legs. In contrast to the spinal arthritis, the severity of arthritis in these joints follows that of the bowel disease - when the diarrhea and abdominal pain are flaring, this arthritis tends to flare also.
  4. KittyCat

KittyCat New Member

I just wanted to thank you all SO MUCH. You've provided some outstanding information. I'll check out those links and the book one of you mentioned.

Have a great day!
    KittyCat