Others Experiences

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pharmbuyer, Dec 14, 2002.

1. pharmbuyer

pharmbuyer New Member

I was just wondering if anyone has had the same experience that I've had. I'm a 30 year old male who had been taking various types of anti-depressant/anxiety medications for the past 2 years. About 5 months ago, my Dr. put me on Effexor and it has seemed to do quite well for me (as long as I take it regularly). I've been keeping up with all of my doses, but recently I took a turn for the worse and fell into a depression, while on my meds. Is this normal? Has anyone else had this experience? Just wondering.
  2. pharmbuyer

pharmbuyer New Member

I was just wondering if anyone has had the same experience that I've had. I'm a 30 year old male who had been taking various types of anti-depressant/anxiety medications for the past 2 years. About 5 months ago, my Dr. put me on Effexor and it has seemed to do quite well for me (as long as I take it regularly). I've been keeping up with all of my doses, but recently I took a turn for the worse and fell into a depression, while on my meds. Is this normal? Has anyone else had this experience? Just wondering.
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

The only experience I had with Effexor was that it hyped me up so bad I was climbing the walls. I have learned the hard way to avoid drugs that increase norepinephrine as well as serotonin. I don't need my norepinephrine raised...I need it lowered!
    I just wanted you to know that your post is being read, and hopefully someone will come along who can answer your question.
    I do know that anti-depressants can eventually build a tolerance so they no longer work. Once the dose has been raised to the maximum allowed but still does not work, I guess you'd have to change drugs and start over. Be sure to tell your doctor.
    Best wishes,
    Klutzo
    P.S. Have you tried taking Omega-3 fatty acid supplements? The American diet is horribly deficient in Omega-3's and a lack of them is associated with depression.
    Other natural products you could try are SAMe and St. John's Wort. Don't take St. John's Wort if you are allergic to Ragweed though.
    Something that helps FMS patients with depression is D-L-Phenylalanine, an amino acid supplement. It can be taken with meals for 8 weeks, then take an 8 week break, then go back on if needed. Do not take it if you have high blood pressure. I have seen remarkable results with it.